Planet Four Talk

Hmmmmmmm

• wassock by wassock moderator

Finally found some time to have a go here, As has been said be for it's frustrating that "discuss" brings you here without a thumbnail and that saving the image as a "favourite" saves the thumbnail but doesn't link to the HiRise image or allow the image to be opened again.

Just done one with the round and elliptical crater tools - the round tool will only allow one crater to be marked, click on a second and the whole marking moves- it even does this in the tutorial. However when you get the "next task" interface the toll works, leaving a dot on each marked crater. But it's such a pain having to mark each crater twice using this that I either mark or classify, not both.

Lack of ability to identify the images or go back to them is a serious failing. Given that the object of this exercise is to test the interface rather than actually gather data on craters (as I understand it), then the main incentive for taking part becomes getting to see some different bits of the surface which can then be returned to.

There seem to be an awful lot of fresh/black craters in the images - have they been selected that way?

Posted

• sprinklebum by sprinklebum scientist

Hi wassock

The experiment has been designed to test the different tools on each interface and this only - but do feel free to leave feedback regarding the ability to save images etc. in the survey. The images have been chosen as the landing area of NASA's InSight mission, due in 2016 - not specifically due to their content.

Hope this helps

James

Posted

Hi James, I see that Pete has given up due to the non workingness of the tools, surely not having tools that work is going to skew your data?

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5 in response to wassock's comment.

tried numerous times with same frustration as others. Moon Zoo seems to have resolved many of the issues discussed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJHfoM6kh7w

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to wassock's comment.

Yes Wassock, I was also surprised by the number of black impacts, (presumed recent) that I saw. I expected these to be rare, and cause for excitement! ? picked for interest?. ~ Pete

Posted

• sprinklebum by sprinklebum scientist

Hi Wassock / Pete

I have used each of the interfaces on several occasions now and cannot replicate your errors - can you be a bit more exact about what is going wrong etc?

James

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm following along, too. We don't have a ton of resources to do project enhancements, but we can try to get things repaired that are abjectly broken, at least, if something really is.

Posted

Problem seems to have gone away, not happening with android or windows now. The crater select tool behaves different to what I'd expect - it places the marker dot below and left on the arrow tip, would be better if it placet the dot cententer on the arrow tip

Posted

Actually problem still there, just took me a while to cycle to the toolset that has the problem, screen shot below. Select "craters present" then try to mark a crater, first one marks OK but when you try to mark a second the first mark vanishes - it was the same for this tool in the tutorial as well, but not managed to get this tool to show tutorial stylee. Win 7/Chrome

enter image description here

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to wassock's comment.

just seems a shame that willing volunteers are all experiencing problems on a"sub-site" on what I think most of us would agree, is one of the best zooniverse sites.I know it's just supposed to be a 'tester' , but looking through all the threads, confusion and frustration seem to be a problem. Can it be 'sorted', or re 'issued' after the IT gurus have worked their magic? Perhaps put it out on the alpha/beta testers system firstThe data from this must be 'skewed' under the present conditions. ~Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

I'm sorry there have been some interface issues for some people. The cratering project should only be live for another couple of weeks. There's not much the Planet Four science team can do specifically, but if the project comes back alive, we'll make sure to bring up these points and inquire about whether they're fixed. Despite these issues, I'm pretty sure the classifications and data collected by the cratering project is useful for James. Thanks for your help with the Planet Four: Craters project and for your help with the original Planet Four.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted