Planet Four Talk

Welcome to Planet Four Craters!

• sprinklebum by sprinklebum scientist

As you might have seen on the About Pages, we want you to help us count craters on the surface of Mars. This will help figure out how old various geological surfaces are!

When marking craters on Mars using this new version of Planet Four, you will be using one of three different classification interfaces. They each have different tools for you to use (on the left hand side of the page), and will ask you to complete tasks in differing orders for each image. Donโ€™t worry! When you use one of these interfaces for the first time a tutorial will guide you through how to use it, in the same way the original Planet Four site did.

The reason for the different interfaces is that we want to know which one works the best, the one that you enjoy using the most and find the easiest to use, and gives the best crater marking results.

To find this out, we would really value your feedback. If you have a spare 15 minutes, visit this questionnaire where you can answer questions and give your opinions about using the interfaces. The information you give us will then be used to help design future versions of Planet Four, and other Zooniverse projects โ€“ so your opinions really count!

Also, please share your thoughts and questions on this special Planet Four: Craters forum and I will help where I can!

Thanks

James

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi There. I see the link for the questionnaire, but where's the interface for the crater marking? This is the first I've heard about this new study, so please excuse me if I've missed the obvious. Cheers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

Hi There

Sorry we have been a bit previous, the new site should go live in the next day or so - I have just put this post up ready for the launch! Sorry for any confusion!

James

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

More details to come.
    Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi James, just so you know the questionaire doesnt disply properly on a mobile device, too wide for portrait.

Is there any way you can specifically capture double craters, preferably only ones with a straight ridge between them?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

James

have you put the questionnaire up seeking comments on the questionnaire itself, on the project, on the tools (such as can be gleaned from the questionnaire) or just in error/too soon?

And do you want comments about the design of the interface and tools in terms of their usability or in terms of their suitability for the task? First impression is that you don't need separate round/elliptic tools, the current blotch tool would cover both (assuming you are sizing the craters rather than just counting them)

Think you should also be asking what system/device people are using. The current Tools are difficult to use on a tablet/touchscreen and are really only practical with a mouse (as compared with an android tablet).

Posted

Hi there

The questionnaire is up 'early' in preparation, more information will be circulated soon to explain the project and its goals.

Regarding the questionnaire, we are seeking comments regarding the interface and tools, although any additional comments will be greatly received in the 'free text' boxes provided! For instance, the comments you have made regarding the crater/elliptical tools would be the sort of thing we are after.

In terms of the system/device, people are welcome to comment on this again in the questionnaire - and any specific difficulties this has led to. I hope this makes things clearer.

James

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to sprinklebum's comment.

I'm confused. Are we still waiting for something before doing the questionaire? ~ Pete

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5 in response to p.titchin's comment.

same here.... just curious , if the new focus is on Craters. Doesn't "Moon Zoo" already have a workable tool for craters there that we could use?

Posted

Hiya,

The main focus of Planet Four is still the seasonal process. The Nottingham group that James is a part of is partnering with the Zoonivere for this cratering project. The cratering project has very specific goals and time frame. It will only be on the Planet Four website for a short period of time, and don't worry you'll still be able to mark fans and bltoches with the main Planet Four classification interface.

The cratering project isn't live yet, it will be very very soon. You'll see the news in the typical places when everything is ready and live. You should also see the links to the cratering project from the Planet Four homepage when it is live.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi,

As you might have already noticed, the cratering project is live. You can check it out here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• jshoe by jshoe

It seems to me that noting the relative 'sharpness' of crater edges would be a valuable indicator of relative ages of craters Noting 'S' for sharp, vs 'D' for diffuse (or "M" for moderate) would not need to be very tedious as long as you did not require measurements.

Posted

• jshoe by jshoe

Hi fellow scientists: I do no mean to be an upstart, but I think the example given of an elliptical cratefr is not really elliptical at all, but rather is a circular crater viewed from a tilted angle. All of the surrounding visual clues shout this conclusion. I do not know how you got such a tilted view from images like the ones you present us, unless is resides on the edge of a huge crater. I think this is why I have not seen any ellipticals that look as good as the one you give although it seems there should be many examples of same. I feel ther are some in the current image, but they are all weathered.

Posted

Hi,

Since James posted in a different thread, I thought I'd duplicate his message here, just in case somebody looks wondering about the status of the cratering project.

the project is coming to an end, in as much as no new imagery will be added to the site. Please feel free to continue marking craters until you have done all the imagery available however, as these results will still be very helpful to us and will be used to contribute!

You can find the rest of Jame's post here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• astorres by astorres

I joined Zooniverse due to a Astronomy class, so far I like it and love that this web page is apart of it.

Posted

Hi,

Welcome. Planet Four: Craters is in hiatus, but the main Planet Four project is definitely active and in need of your help.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted