Planet Four Talk

Spiders by Location ?

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

In an earlier discussion here (Spiders by Latitude) we learnt about the narrow band of latitudes that 'confine' the spiders. We also ended up learning much about the icelayer. We got some great charts posted by the scientists and a good time was had by all.

But now I'd like to know more about spider locations within the 'latitude zone'. I know there are particular areas of interest where spider formation goes on, but are these the only areas? I've met Manhattan, Ithaca, Inca City, the other one (I can't remember), and recently the Oswego Region.

Are there any charts/maps out there that would give us a guide to where spiders are/are not? Cheers.

Posted

'Finger Lake' - Is this an old name for, eg., Ithaca, or a region in it's own right? Image at 84S and 119E. http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/5143480cea305267e900377a.jpg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Somewhere in the depths of the boards I posted a link to a animation which showed where the images being marked were. If you can find it again it will give you some idea, even if it's not the full Monty

Posted

Thanks wassock. A rooting we will go... Any clue as to which board it's on? Anything in the title spring to mind?

Posted

Forget the previous post wassock - thanks anyway. Got something I can work with for now. (Check your email).

Having browsed the HiRise catalogue it seems clear that Finger Lake is a distinct region in its own right. It's actually closer to the Giza region than the others.

If anybody meets any named regions I'd be pleased to hear about them. Cheers.

So far I've got; Giza, Finger Lake, Manhatten, Ithaca, Inca City.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hi Kith, I've seen an 'omega' sublimation study area as well.

Posted

Cheers Pete. I'll go chase that in a minute. Either me or my laptop can't post images in here (it just don't seem to work) but I've emailed you the image I got in case it helps with anything you're working on. I've got one or two areas where I'm 'getting in deep', but I'm still working on building the bigger picture. Hence the call for place names. Cheers.

Posted

PS: At first glance it looks like 'Omega' is a winner - good man. Looks like it's near, on, or in the Chasma Australe.

Posted

Glad you found it. I'll keep an eye out for others. I'm sure I saw a map with the areas marked. Maybe on one of Meg's links,but blowed if I can find it.

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi!

Here is the map that I have made long ago using MOC data (that camera had lower resolution but better coverage than HiRISE). The pic also shows cryptic region outline in red and permanent cap in white.

spiders map

For the named regions we studied these:

Agelenopsis (87°S ,129°E), Clubonia (86°S, 157°E), Dolomedes (87°S, 175°E), Finger Lake (84°S, 119°E), Giza (84°S, 65°E), Inca City (81°S, 63°W), Ithaca (85°S, 178°E), Manhattan‐Cicurina (85°S, 102°E), Manhattan‐Frontinella (86°S, 97°E), Pirata (77°S, 132°E), Richardson Crater (73°S, 179°E), Starfish (84°S, 118°W)

You may find this names in our discussions or publications, but they are not official and the locations are not always named this way, esp. by people outside our small working group,.

Anya

Posted

APF0001t14 comes from a region called 'OSWEGO'. Haven't noticed that one before
    ~Pete

Posted

Pete: I mentioned Oswego in my opening post but forgot to put it in my list. Thanks for noticing and thanks for the image.

Anya: Many thanks for that. It's a great help. The names and locations are really useful to me, whether they're official or not. 😃 The longitudes run West on your plot, rather than East as we usually see here, and I just want to check your figures W or E. Your 'Inca City' and 'Starfish' are marked 63W and 118W (which seems right) but the rest are marked East. I'm guessing they should all be read anti-clockwise and marked West .. ?

I'm beginning to feel much more at home in these southern polar regions of Mars. The details are still beyond me, or over my head, but if there's a job for a tour guide around the area I might have a chance. 😉

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to Kitharode's comment.

You are welcome!

I believe, all the notations are correct, i.e. when it says east it's east = clockwise on that polar map and when it says west, it's counter-clockwise. Sorry for the mess-up, I just used to have it all like this, now I prefer to keep to standard east.

Anya

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to Portyankina's comment.

Anya, it's not your mess!! Probably 'the astronomers' who are to blame. 😉 It's about time we settled on one or the other though. I'll take the readings as they are and sort it from there. Thanks again - and such a prompt reply !! 😉

Posted

It's amazing what you can learn here on Mars. Looking at the unofficial naming of regions in Anya's earlier image:

Agelenopsis, Clubonia, Dolomedes, Cicurina, Frontinella, and Pirata are all types of (very interesting) spiders.

Ithaca (New York, US) has its own Finger Lake regions.

Seeing as it's a bit of a free-for-all at the moment, if I spot an area I like maybe I'll call it 'Kitharode Corner'. ** 😛 **

Posted