Planet Four Talk

Spiders By Size.

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

My previous enquiries here about spiders by latitude and location produced loads of useful stuff, so I'm hoping the same thing will happen in this thread.

I'd like to know what is / is not known about spider sizes. What's the largest so far? Do dendritics grow larger than 'true' spiders? What size area does 'lace terrain' cover? Are there limits to the width of a spider channel? etc, etc.

Anything and everything relating to these types of questions gratefully received. ** 😃 **

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi kith, I like most ( I suspect) P4 nuts collect spiders, however, the problem is the old chestnut of 'scale'. What is cropped? What is magnified? Even the rules for approximating on pixels are hard, as we are told the size 'might be'('X) or possibly (Xx2). On the face of it, 'cimexiform' and 'bug' spiders seem to be very much smaller than the dendritic legged sunburst type . Here are two, APF0001va7 and APF0000m9p . {of course, I've got bigger cimexiforms, and much smaller 'dendritics'!!} 😉 Good luck! ~ Pete

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

If you can find your spiders on hirise using hiview then there is a measurement tool, will see if I can jeasureca few of the classics

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Thanks to both of you. I'm hoping one of the science team will tell me what, if anything, is known about this area so I don't spend time 'reinventing the wheel'. Normally use MRO image viewer 'cause it's a bit quicker on my broadband, but I'll dig out the measuring tool on HiView and give it a go.

Posted