Planet Four Talk

Science behind boulders and fans

• pocketmoon by pocketmoon

So theory is boulder in some way promote jets and thus fans. The scenario is boulder sitting on the surface, which is under up to 1m of co2 ice. During spring sunlight warms the surface (the ice is very transparent ) thus causing sublimation of co2 which under great pressure thread it's way under the ice until it find a weak spot and erupts upwards. With a boulder at in the ice I would expect the sunward side to warm and create a channel for the co2 to errupt through. Right - now off the view boiulder/fan combos to see if I can tell which side of boulder the fans start 😃

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi pocketmoon. I noticed somewhere that you have a fan (no pun intended). Somebody on the site has voted you as having the coolest username here. (BooHoo, I thought Kitharode was cool). Sorry I can't remember where I saw that. Anyway...

Why not jump into "Boulders - Rock on"? Right up your street and not yet too long to read through.
    http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000002/discussions/DPF00008b5

Lots of references to two earlier threads. "Fans-Repeating Patterns..." and "Repeating Patterns (2) - Return of the Killer Fan". You'll see from this that humour is allowed in small doses 😃 There are a few wacky ideas, but also some seriously good 'citizen science', ie, get stuck in and see what you can discover for yourself.

If you get any plausable ideas about which side of the boulder 'fans', we'd love to hear them. Check out the idea that the venting at the point of origin might be 'circular', ie, the vent wraps around the base of the boulder. Whatever. Good hunting.

Posted