Planet Four Talk

Subject: APF0000hdp

Subject APF0000hdp Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Trachy by Trachy

This is surreal! Maybe red sandy hillocks with white boulders scattered on the surface....looks like 'modern art'!

Posted

• Tod55 by Tod55

Looks like farmers fields!

Posted

• AstroToy by AstroToy

Could that be a massive lava field?

Posted

• kittymay by kittymay

it amazing 😄

Posted

• Sonicgroove by Sonicgroove

Like lots of pilsbury doughboys squashed together 😄

Posted

• zalkwe by zalkwe

Iron oxide,red sand may be

Posted

• Dr_Anonymous_Eskimo by Dr_Anonymous_Eskimo

pretty nice actually

Posted

• Mutantoe by Mutantoe

Probably Iron Oxide. #whatelement

Posted

• 01005 by 01005

Looks like there are tons of #fans in there!

Posted

• pocketmoon by pocketmoon

the fluffyness is an optical illusion caused by the #fans venting along fissure. The terrain is flatish

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

Very perceptive, pocketmoon, and true. Especially, because everything is covered by a rather smooth layer of ice here. 😉

Posted

• Geogirl by Geogirl

Interesting lines

Posted

• leeleelee by leeleelee

looks like skin at this res
    also looks like base of glasier when ice gone some of boulders are in one end of scratch
    right to left movement

Posted

These lines are #cracks in the CO2 ice layer and the fans erupt through these cracks!

Posted

• EthanHerlihyTV by EthanHerlihyTV

Just Saw it on the show , They move apprently

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal

martian brain!!

Posted

• MyC0w by MyC0w

APF0000hd1

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal

reminds me of my allotment garden mud/soil after the rain flatten the ground then period of dry has cracked and lifted edges.

Posted

• iansonuk by iansonuk

If the ice is cracking due to residual seismic activity or tidal stresses from the moons?

Posted

• pyr0pixie by pyr0pixie

I think i have come across this same formation but frozen over in my collection...it has the same angular markings but with ice channels

Posted

• Langshaw7 by Langshaw7

Is this some form of sediment that has accumulated on top of the glacier below?

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi

http://preview.tinyurl.com/asmjzlt cracked earth permafrost... looks a lil similar to me. freeze in winter and new cracks form in summer?

Posted

• AndyBarton by AndyBarton

Thin layer of Co2 ice covering trapped Clouds of Co2. Black areas where the Co2 clouds are at its thinnest,showing up as lines of darkness.

Posted

• jack9515 by jack9515

This looks like there was a large layer of sand that has fallen down into crevices in the surface.

Posted

• 4_eyes by 4_eyes

Reminds me of the lakes on greenland ice sheet just coloured red due to the dust. The Greenland lakes also move over time.

Posted

• GregS by GregS

Dark lines appear to be lows, where trapped gas has escaped and land surface has subsided. Perhaps lows then accumulate darker, heavy mins?

Posted

• LittleAl1974 by LittleAl1974

Not only do the dark lines look interesting but the general texture does too. It is almost like a layer of sand with an erosion pattern.

Posted

• paulevos by paulevos

I believe it is the beginning of a root like region caused by hot fluid build up, once it builds up enough it will collapse leaving a cavity

Posted

• peter_werner by peter_werner

This looks like a part cooked collapsing sponge cake. Surface softly crusted. Either gas has escaped or trapped gas is refreezing?

Posted

• fabrocks by fabrocks

looks like fork markings after pastry baked?? as if surface has risen and expanded??

Posted

• daneellard by daneellard

A (thin, malleable) surface previously "inflated" by pressure from below; now partially collapsed back down after having been "stretched"

Posted

OR a surface buckled by lateral pressure.

Posted

• greg.gallsky.com by greg.gallsky.com

Reminds me of pillow lava

Posted

• saltski by saltski

This has small dunes on top of these massive features. underground frozen matter that has melted leading to collapse?

Posted

• asmedley by asmedley

? dust / small particles crusting bubbles beneath hence slight hexagonal shapes

Posted

• danieljeory by danieljeory

This reminds me in some ways of a limestone pavement structure, similar to The Burren in the west of Ireland. Perhaps these are porous rocks

Posted

Some broadly similar terrestrial images are here
    http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/harveyhalpern/mud/?i=2

Posted

• stacey888 by stacey888

brainey lol

Posted

• Pseudo_Pro by Pseudo_Pro

It looks like the Tundra areas around the East Siberian Sea. https://maps.google.com/?ll=74.519889,142.734375&spn=5.05627,26.125488&t=h&z=6

Posted

• rturner21 by rturner21

looks like there are striations along the top. looks sandy. could it be like a sand storm over the top of glaciers?

Posted

• ianbutton1 by ianbutton1

What is the distance across the picture, please?

Posted

• Pseudo_Pro by Pseudo_Pro

I think on stargazing live they said approx size = 2 rugby fields.

Posted

• FarmBoyDai by FarmBoyDai

optical illusion, its a flat surface with dust particle blotches/fans making it look like dunes.

Posted

• brian_peaston by brian_peaston

#linear

Posted

• john_cooper_35hotmail.com by john_cooper_35hotmail.com

Could these be bed's of under surface Co2 ice that when sublimates creates a Air Hockey type of situation?

Posted

• mach2k5 by mach2k5

Unstable ground due to subsidence, possibly due to the release of ice being released leaving a void beneath

Posted

• Welshray by Welshray

It looks similar to when you let the air out of a balloon after its been inflated for a few hours They don't return to there original shape.

Posted

• watsonglv by watsonglv

These features resemble convection cells which naturally trend to hexagonal forms. The central feature is a vent relieving thermal pressure.

Posted

• Stuart_Barrow by Stuart_Barrow

It's possible to speculate that the formation could be some type of unknown permafrost glacier. the shapes cause by spring melting the frost

Posted

• Subtle_Knife by Subtle_Knife

Can we see a sequence for this location? #request

Posted

• Geogirl by Geogirl

Regular pattern makes me think of geological tension fractures, but no tectonic plates on Mars.

Posted

• Marco_Mentil by Marco_Mentil

Tundra polygons formed on Earth by freezing and thawing of vertical ice wedges. CO2 may have similar effect, except without a liquid phase

Posted

• gepisar by gepisar

Seems similar to "Chocolate Hills", Bohol near Cebu, Philipines. Maybe with different gravity and pressure, the formations are closer.

Posted

• reggeaman by reggeaman

MAY BE WERE WATER RIVERS LAKES WERE HENCH THE ICE STILL IN THE AREA.

Posted

• alan.overend by alan.overend

maybe the gravitiational force of the moons induce regional stress which when released creates tension cracks? 2 moons = two fissue sets

Posted

• Andy_Plant_UK1 by Andy_Plant_UK1

Would be interesting to try look at the historical development of the apparant fractures in the centre of the blocks. Previous 1' features?

Posted

• avinashkumar2004gmail.com by avinashkumar2004gmail.com

underground structures are needed to be elaborated

Posted

• brianO by brianO

Agree with Marco Mentil. I've seen similar patterns on Svalbard formed in permafrost sediments by thermal contraction and expansion. The polygons are 10 to 40m across and the ice wedges at the boundaries can be 1m across in the upper section and penetrate a few metres into the ground. Polygons can be sorted or unsorted depending on the homogeneity of the sediments. The cracks near the centres of the Martian polygons could possibly arise from the venting of sublimated CO2 during the summer.

Posted

• dave.rooney by dave.rooney

i think it is lava tubes that have caved in while a large underground glacier moves underneath

Posted

• geo-topics by geo-topics

Could correspond to decompression figures of plutonic mass with ball erosion along diaclase network

Posted

• doug67 by doug67

I'm only just getting into this scientific stuff but does anyone else think that this picture looks like a large body of frozen crystal clear liquid?

Posted

• oliverbrown by oliverbrown

It could be frosen CO2 with minerals in to make it coloured, and the black lines could be subliming CO2.

Posted

• maryceleste by maryceleste

Something like Giant's Causeway?

Posted

• mechanoid by mechanoid

Flat surface, black material erupting from fissures without wind to disperse. Shallow top lit ripples extend across "deep" fissures .

Posted

• oliverbrown by oliverbrown

Permafrost could freeze it then solar winds that breach the marsian atmosphere could scorch the lines in and the frozen material sublimates.

Posted

• lucy83 by lucy83

looks like giant coral

Posted

• Bridgewilks by Bridgewilks

Could be sinkholes, as we don't fully understand the substructure, the black holes and cracks could be the surface sinking due to movement.

Posted

• MoonSquirrel by MoonSquirrel

While at first glance it looks like a wavy, brain like landscape the more you look the flatter it becomes, with the "cracks" as vents above.

Posted

• alex98 by alex98

They could just be valleys caused once existant rivers or perhaps glaciers

Posted

@MoonSquirrel Good! You getting adapted!

Posted

• Shread by Shread

It's an opticle illusion! It bold and bubbly but really its a flat surface. Weird!

Posted

• jdt79 by jdt79

WOW great pic

Posted

• cblack by cblack

Similar to limestone areas that I've seen at Malham and in the hills of Crimea in the Ukraine

Posted

• AlexRhodes88 by AlexRhodes88

Rock formation clints and grykes? Eg Malham cove, UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Limestone_pavement_above_Malham_Cove.jpg

Posted

• ianbutton1 by ianbutton1

Just flat - red dunes with black material fanning from vents along linear cracks. On some sideways shots you can see plumes as well as fans

Posted

• poplar11 by poplar11

looks similar to limestone pavements apart from the colour

Posted

• mhodgkins1 by mhodgkins1

Like sand blown over a cracked glacier. Striations in the sand in prevailing wind direction and white spots where ice peaks are revealed.

Posted

• dombledore by dombledore

I found this one which is similar ~ the plumes follow along lines:

http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000hto

different landscape

Posted

• bukrojers by bukrojers

Got 3D quality but I think depressions are shallow and tonal graduations are dark deposits giving that impression. Ancient lava pillows?

Posted

• pbedding by pbedding

Could be cracks in the top layer of dust/rock, as the substratum (water or CO2 ice?) expands or contracts with changes in temperature?

Posted

• Dr_Monster by Dr_Monster

I agree it's probably flat. Fine dunes and white stones straddle dark vertical "fissures". Spray from vents gives 3D curved effect.

Posted

• Mbizz0 by Mbizz0

Similar to Image APF0000hca

Posted

• Paul_Cunningham by Paul_Cunningham

Looks like sediment under liquid, like looking at shallow water

Posted

• Ground_Control by Ground_Control

This seems to be a maze of fractures, with many plumes. If the top of the image is north,perhaps the wind here is from the SSE to NNW.

Posted

The fractures which are more east west seem to have many fine short plumes originating from them.

Posted

The larger darker zones seem to me to be blotches that have drifted a little NNW, as can be seen from the dark areas having diffuse edges.

Posted

Ah yes, I see your comment Dr Monster, I think you are saying the same thing

Posted

• dudeloo by dudeloo

#It looks like old cracks to me

Posted

• dudeloo by dudeloo

It looks like old cracks to me

Posted

• dudeloo by dudeloo

I'm quite confused

Posted

• stello1972 by stello1972

The Brain from Mars!

Posted

• kipper123 by kipper123

this is a flat red feild, the fans of darker colour give the impression of curves ? optical illusion.

Posted

• killerelite11 by killerelite11

Looks like ravines

Posted

• carllindley by carllindley

Looks like clouds of material comming out in the dark items then the roof collapses after it has all been ejected

Posted

• LucyPlayford by LucyPlayford

This looks somewhat like a quilt, the lines look like stitches. But this might be an optical illusion. Perhaps these stictches are cracks?

Posted

• LucyPlayford by LucyPlayford

Is the transverse texture like the pattern on a sandy beach? Are the white dots rocks?

Posted

• Christopher_Playford by Christopher_Playford

I think there might be some fans

Posted

• SignPig by SignPig

Could the lines be made by multiple short lived tornadoes of gas and ice engraving the surface?

Posted

• matywaldy by matywaldy

"ITS LAVA JIM,BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT".

Posted

• Muse2k8 by Muse2k8

I've posted a working theory in the Science section to the right. Please have a read.

Posted

Black lines are cracks in the ice, through which CO2 jets have transported dust and sand to the surface.

Posted

the white dots are probably dents in the CO2 ice layer.When the inside of icy dents lean toward the sun,they reflect a lot more light.

Posted

• jackiekins by jackiekins

Could the black lines be pools of water?

Posted

nope

Posted

• Fiona_Firth by Fiona_Firth

This could deep gorges as in the Grand Canyon and possibly have been large amounts of water erosion

Posted

• ridela by ridela

almost look like deep ocean black smoke stacks.

Posted

• WinterBoy01 by WinterBoy01

#wow

Posted

• Milkywaystars by Milkywaystars

#awesome

Posted

• alan_of_ose by alan_of_ose

does the white dots moves around and how do they stick to vertical sides of the crevases

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys

There are no crevasses. That's an optical illusion caused by dark-coloured debris deposited on a flat surface. Just finer cracks/fissures.

Posted

the white dots have no shadows and are nearly all the same size

Posted

it could be lava cooled very quickly [ giants cawesway or staffin cave

Posted

• nickpop by nickpop

Higher resulution images could make this look quite different.

Posted

• dottosian by dottosian

It could be from glacial activities a long-time ago and the features have changed maybe?

Posted

• cuttelld by cuttelld

pillow lava and fan dust has got into the folds

Posted

• SuzieFearon by SuzieFearon

Fans sitting under a layer of CO2 frost? Some white spots/reflections appear to sit over the dark features. Surface refroze post deposits?

Posted

• tonnie1 by tonnie1

Yes, not 3-D wormy things at all - fissures on a flat surface, I think. The eyes play tricks!

Posted

• plasmafire23 by plasmafire23

'Mars-brain'? No, I think it's flat - the impression is created by shading of a flat landscape caused by emissions from fissures.

Posted

• urbanspace.man by urbanspace.man

Could these be bacterial mats formed in pre-history in water stained with iron?
    Akin to stromatalites found on earth?

Posted

• Markconx by Markconx

#Vibration pattern perhaps? combination of #lava flow and other #seismic activity ?? #interference #wave - Example http://goo.gl/fErWK ???

Posted

• Michael97F by Michael97F

I think it's simply a flat surface with fans and blotches which are fooling the eyes into thinking it is round.

Posted

• Jegory by Jegory

I agree with some of the others who've said that its a flat surface. If you look at it closely the shadows have the same texture as the rest

Posted

• Jegory by Jegory

...So they're not actually indentations, in my opinion.

Posted

These are cracks in the CO2 ice layer. Pressurized CO2 gas transports dust through the cracks.

Posted

• Owen679 by Owen679

the same fan black dust explosions as the rest but I think they explode out of underground rivers I've seen the same pattern in other pics

Posted

• PerryF by PerryF

Similar features on Earth: Russia 68.5, 32.7 Norway 69.6, 31.0 Greenland 60.7, -46.6; 64.5,-52.0 and most similarly Russia 77.0, 105.4

Posted

• miles_hodgkiss by miles_hodgkiss

It reminds me of that state when mud is drying, has crinkled but has not actually cracked.....?

Posted

• Jimbo25 by Jimbo25

Possibly frost patterns, similar to those that form on a a damp pane of glass, but not H20, dark colour coming from trapped dust.

Posted

• g480jones by g480jones

image APF0000hdp would appear to be some kind of membrane inflated by Co2(?)

Posted

• brian_peaston by brian_peaston

#linear

Posted

• op19 by op19

Strange formations?, and what are the white dots?

Posted