Planet Four Talk

Subject: APF00009ju

Subject APF00009ju Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• roybridge by roybridge

A strange feature!

Posted

• sinbad666 by sinbad666

Just spotted this too, really interesting!

Posted

• danofmayz by danofmayz

Very strange feature. Looks more of a formed shape than anything else I've seen so far.

Posted

• aramil by aramil

A Mars spot/pimple or alien temple? either which way very interesting

Posted

• kevski81 by kevski81

Very strange object, looks too symmetrical to be natural, although the elevated ground looks natural.

Posted

• kevski81 by kevski81

#alienchimney

Posted

• PhilipCorke by PhilipCorke

looks like an octagon shaped base with a rounded thimble type shape on top.

Posted

• Mgayette by Mgayette

Its the missing third tower of the Landmark Theatre Ilfracombe.

Posted

• djpolofish by djpolofish

Looks like a pimple to me

Posted

• john_cooper_35hotmail.com by john_cooper_35hotmail.com

#strange

Posted

• Lovebytes by Lovebytes

Another possible plant showing initial root growth

Posted

• mermaidnwuk by mermaidnwuk

It looks like a lizard- or chameleon-like eyeball to me. Weird!

Posted

• Jim_Taylor by Jim_Taylor

It looks like a small razed cone with a jet of "stuff" coming out of the top #mini-volcano

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

Is this a fan eruption in progress? That would be exciting!!!
    I thought I had found it first, but hey ho.....Whatever it is, it's cool.

Posted

No one has explained this artefact yet? What is it???

Posted

• Glynnmay by Glynnmay

The blurred top makes this look like a volcano that is in the midst of erupting? Very exciting

Posted

Yes Glyn! It's the best picture of the lot! No one seems to care only you and me!

Posted

• Djbooth by Djbooth

I agree, mini-volcano erupting. This was spotted 2 days ago - look under Science 'space chimney'.

Posted

What do the scientists say? It's by far the most fascinating image.

Posted

I think there is a gas jet coming out of the side, as well as the dark stuff from the top....really interesting.

Posted

• neilsp8 by neilsp8

very strange shape

Posted

• tristandunbar by tristandunbar

What is this?

Posted

• chpets by chpets

Saw this on the small thumbprint photo initially and the feature looked to be a crater, on the larger pic it looks volcanic.Lighting tricks

Posted

• pocketmoon by pocketmoon

Hey P4 Science dudes! Can you reveal which source image this comes from ? 😃 please...

Posted

Yeah, c'mon Poindexter!

Posted

And can we have a scientific explanation, while your at it.....!

Posted

• jdt79 by jdt79

mAGIC

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

There you go: http://uahirise.org/ESP_011348_0950

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

That is pretty neat link michealaye! Paul, check it out as you can view it as zoomed in on.

Posted

• roybridge by roybridge

Saw this feature 3 days ago after Brian Cox on BBC's Stargazing Live asked viewers to log onto this site. Excellent link from michealaye.

Posted

• roybridge by roybridge

On michealaye's link the zoomed in image certainly does gives the impression that the strange feature is possibly the start of an eruption!

Posted

Found the link and made it work! Thanks to all.
    Is this a cone of gas erupting, I think it is!

Posted

It doesn't look like a boulder at all. It has fuzzy pixels above it which suggest gas. There are black fans in the vicinity....

Posted

It is spewing black material out of the side of it and there is a white 'jet' coming from the same side (right).

Posted

It is located direcly on a gas 'spider' and there seems to be a fresh deposit of white ice, which could suggest it is a new feature...

Posted

#mystery object

Posted

The link picture also has other unusual features....a weird cleft in the ice that is out of place in the top left of the image...

Posted

and maybe a round hole in the ice next to the main anomaly, just to the right. Certainly the light is showing something different...

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

You will see something different if you rotate the image 180 degrees. Ridges become channels, pits become boulders and vice versa.

Posted

• coolblack492 by coolblack492

OMG this looks amazing, i cant believe that this is the surface of mars. wow

Posted

• jdt79 by jdt79

could be a caldera a collapsed volcanic cone with liquid co2 running off it carving out those snake like channels ?

Posted

I think the wind would have eroded any volvanic cone, especially one this small. Vulcanism has been absent for many millions of years...

Posted

the sun comes from the low-low right, therefore we believe this is a negative feature (crater-like). don't understand it yet,definit. weird

Posted

Thanks Michael, I knew it was weird. I know it when I see it! It's a very exciting feature, hence me keep banging on about it. Sorry!

Posted

Do you thing the dark blurring of the image at the top could be venting?

Posted

The boulders in the original image, (thanks for the link!) all seem to have shadows on the right, but the sun is from the right?

Posted

Interesting that the base has a hexagonal feature? I've seen pan ice on the sea adopt this pattern.

Posted

yes, sun is from the low right, which makes this thing pretty certainly a cavity, a negative feature, not a dome.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I am convinced all the photographs from this mission are upside down. Rotate through 180 degrees to see what these images should look like.

Posted

• Milkywaystars by Milkywaystars

That spot is definitely a snail or an alien life form.

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys

I've rotated this image 180 degrees several times. Now convinced light IS from bottom right, shining into "crater" & north-south valleys.

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys

Might not be a crater, but certainly a hollow rather than a bump. Viewed up-side-down, the valleys are less convincing as "ridges".

Posted

• pocketmoon by pocketmoon

depends on the direction the sun light is coming from . Human brain assumed light is from upper left.

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys

The light appears to be from upper left when brain assumes that you are seeing ridges. Right-click and "view image" - it looks like valleys.

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys

i.e the bright bits are inside valleys, reflecting light that is actually received from bottom right. Hope this helps.

Posted

It's taken me a long time for my brain to see this as a negative feature, but yes, it's probably a deep circukar shaft.....

Posted

circular shaft....I should say, but has a hexagonal rim. Extraordinary! There's nothing like it on any other pic....

Posted

Meteorite impact ? But why a hexagonal rim? That doesn't fit really.....an open vent-but still, there are thousands of fans, none with....

Posted

...this kind of opening through the ice into the Mars below. If it is a shaft, then probably gas made it, but why only one such feature...

Posted

on all of the other pics.....and why hexagonals! This is still an amazing feature, and it has really captured my imagination...

Posted

What a fantastic experiment this has been!

Posted

Is it hexagonal all the way down? The darker material on the side suggest it could be.....

Posted

The more I look the more I think impact crater from a small meteorite...though I cant explain the hexagonal feature. Anyone?

Posted

If it is a meteor impact crater (a small one) then it must be very fresh, maybe? The ice around is shattered like a bullet hole in glass.

Posted

I'm slightly embarrassed about the whole chiney thing now.....its a negative feature, but wow it looks like it's sticking up!

Posted

I still think it represents something very unusual and important. It's a hole in the ice!

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

I don't see it that way, and after a hard look I've decided it's probably a #dalek

Posted

• samuelchap by samuelchap

yep definitely a dalek!

Posted

It could be a soup dragon hole, I suppose, but no-there would be Clangers all over the place...

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys

I think the clangers' holes had lids? I'm still thinking a rock under the ice might play a part in the formation of this hole - see science

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

ESA Beagle 2 Perhaps?

Posted

That would be cool! Crunch!

Posted

• itsanty by itsanty

looks a like a geyser just on the brink of erupting to me.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

could this be an active vent? #sno-cone

Posted

• brian_peaston by brian_peaston

#pingo

Posted

• JohnRon by JohnRon

#spiders It does seem to be a vent producing mini spiders. magnify the image ctrl +

Posted

• dfaxon by dfaxon

Do I see an 'ice ball' penetrating the surface?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

It's a hole. Nick-named 'Space Chimney'. More details here: http://blog.planetfour.org/2013/04/03/space-chimney-re-imaged/

Posted

• dfaxon by dfaxon

Are there any other 'chimneys' around? If there are enough of the smooth craters around, maybe that's a good tag.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi dfaxon. Far as I know, this is the only example of a 'space chimney' that's been caught on camera. Might be others, so keep looking. 😃

Posted