Planet Four Talk

Manhattan Project

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Just curious if others find the "Manhattan" images more challenging than "Inca City" due to the relative large size of the fans and the close proximity of the HiRISE image to the Martian surface. Sometimes I find I am guessing (fan? blotch? or just large sublimated area) when classifying with no recourse to a higher view until after classification.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Maybe we need new marking tools. Perhaps 'blan', 'fotch' and 'puddle' would work. 😉

I don't understand what you mean by "the close proximity of the HiRISE image to the Martian surface".

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5 in response to Kitharode's comment.

http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF00028e8

Here, kith, is an example. When classifying there is no option to zoom out (as there is when it's in the "discuss" format). Consequently, when classifying, there's no way to say for certain if it's just a large sublimated area or in fact part of a giant fan (or fan field). As opposed to Inca City this is a more recurring issue than prior.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

Hi,

Interesting discussion. The pixel resolution is about the same between Manhattan and Inca City, so the elevation of the spacecraft I think is pretty much the same between the two regions. Maybe the fans are bigger/smaller between the two. It will be interesting to see what the Season 2 and Season 3 classifications tell us about that. We're almost at the point where we can start doing that.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted