Planet Four Talk

Way off Theme/Rolling Boulders

• wassock by wassock moderator

This is the context map for http://www.uahirise.org/PSP_010725_2115

enter image description here

To me it looks like there has been some sort of flow coming from the crater, the HiRise image showning an edge of this feature.

Now have a look at the greyscale image http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/PSP/ORB_010700_010799/PSP_010725_2115/PSP_010725_2115_RED.abrowse.jpg

Looks to me that the surface at the bottom of the craters is at the same level as the surface above the materiel that the craters are made in. I am picturing some sort of soft material overlaying a hard surface with a couple of impacts which have cleared out the material down to the underlying surface. At the top of the more central crater there is a smaller crater which is starting to be covered by scree from the crater edge

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Are you aware of the HiWish Program? You might be able to request another image to make a stereo pair.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Meg. This is very interesting stuff and I hope to join in when I can. Please can you confirm the direction of sunlight in your images above? Yes, I've seen the HiView option and was thinking about using it for my 'spider on a block in a crater' image to see if there was any movement there.

I'm in quiet mode at the moment for a number of reasons, not least of which is a family member in a critical (life-threatening) condition following a bad accident. Will get back when I can.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

I'm sorry to hear about your family member. I hope they get wel soon.

for the sun angle, let me know if you can't figure it out based on Michael's description on page 2 of this thread.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi meg, its from 2008 do they have a stock of images that the can pull a second from to make a pair, or would they take another?.. was thinking of trying hiwish to get a current image to see if the crater wall is moving - suspect not as there are craters on the slopes which havnt deformed.

This is from the edge of a large outflow system. I cant help but visualise the whole thing as river estuary back home. Which would make the pictured area the mud flats along the shore line.

Hope it goes wel with you Kitharode

Posted

With HiWish you'd ask them to take another image later this Fall when the South Pole becomes observable again. So not archived imaging, but new observations. If there is a second image already taken with a different orientation that the first, then you could make that into a stereo image. HiWIsh is for the public to request targets for the HiRISE camera to take.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg just asked HiWish to have another look - And then I got around to looking at the image with HiView - Rolling Stones!
    The partially covered crater is about 70 meters across and the crater it's in is the central one from the 2nd image in this thread.

And contrary to what I said above, when you start looking closer in the craters in the main crater wall do appear to be slumping.

Posted

Moving boulders.. Very cool. Do let me know if you get the observation. I think your image should be in the contending for the #dailyzoo

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

I thought so to 😃 What I think is kinda significant on a Mars where nothing much moves is that some of the boulders don't have or have faint tracks showing that the rolling boulders is an ongoing process together with what looks like the collapse of the crater walls

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to mschwamb's comment.

Meg - can't see how to #dailyzoo an image that's not directly from P4 - is #tagging the post containing the image enough for them to find it?

Posted

When you start really looking there are rolling boulders on most of the slopes on this area. The crater within a crater where the first lot of boulders came to rest is bottom right. Several candidates for double impacts here and maybe even a treble.

And looking into the central crater

It seems clear (to me leastways) that the bottom of this crater is different to the larger one below and right off the edge of the first image and confirms that the material overlying the base level of the larger crater is of a different nature

Posted

As to the crater itself I'm viewing this a an impact coming from the left some way off vertical - the remnats of the ejecta can be seen from the scattered boulders on the surface, particularly on the angle pointing to the top right corner of the pic. Anyone else see it that way?
    Plus there seems to be a layer of bouldery stuff near the surface which is also revealed at the other large craters in the area

Posted

How exciting is this?

Dear Andy Martin,

HiRISE images have been acquired and released for one or more of your suggested targets. The data are now available on the HiRISE website at the urls listed below.

Note: The descriptions you entered for your suggested targets are listed below, however, the official image descriptions maintained by the HiRISE Team may differ. The HiRISE Team tries to make the official image descriptions consistent with the current Mars nomenclature and the geologic features found in the images.

Suggestion ID Observation URL Release Status
    106306 http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_039432_2115 Initial Release
    Description: Craters Near Kasei Valles Rim Revisited

Only downside is that the images are not available on the website at the moment, will let you know when I get to have a look

Posted

That's awesome! didn't realize you had put in a HiWish. Congrats on it being accepted.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Thanks Meg, the images are off the HiRise site at the Mo' as they are being captioned ready for a release next week. The actual image has the bit I was interested in off center and the colour segment doesn't cover my area of interest, so I figure the image has actually been acquired for some other reason and My request piggybacked on that.

Whichever the only real thing to report is that not much has changed in the 6 years between images>

Nov 2008

Jan 2015

Posted