Planet Four Talk

MRO and HiRise Image Map

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

This is an interesting and useful tool. Quite fun too. I'd recommend the 'Quick Tour' and follow link to further help. Very quick read, easily understood. Enjoy. http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/bin/hirise.pl

Posted

Couple of pointers that might be useful.

When you find a red strip in an area of interest, choose 'select' button (at top) and click that strip. New window opens with large and small image. 'MOLA shaded relief' is best choice for small image, then click to see wide angle shot of your area with red strip. Close that and open the bigger picture with 'full screen' button. Zoom in, zoom out, jump around and enjoy. When zooming the image may become misty and blurred. Wait a few seconds for the image to 'render' and all will become clear.

And I mean clear!! The resolution is awesome. This'll fill those cold winter months on Earth, between classifying sessions of course. 😉

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I'm glad you included some instructions.

You're right, this site is definitely worth a visit and the photographic detail is superb.

Posted

Hi JM, good to see you. The fullscreen option at that resolution really is a winner and being able to zoom in on the full map, then on the image area, then into the image is fantastic methinks. Get a real feel for where you are and how the images relate to each other on the surface.

It being so good, I'm being picky when I say that a full map polar view would have been a nice option. Maybe there is one and I haven't seen it. Whatever, a wonderful toy to play with.

Posted

I've discovered that my up/down left/right arrow keys move me around the images in fullscreen.

All images I've seen so far have sunlight coming in from top left, the opposite of what we see on P4, so remember to 'change your view' when you go back to classifying.

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to Kitharode's comment.

WOW, what amazing images - I can't believe the clarity! Oh dear, I can see this being addictive........ Thanks for bringing it to our attention Kitharode 😃

Posted

If you view the HiRise images and look at the Image Data box (to the right of the small MOLA image before you go fullscreen) you may notice that all the lat/long numbers are -90 and 0 deg for all images. I've contacted the site and we're swapping emails trying to get it sorted. The real lat/long can be read off the map that you first click on.

It's only addictive for a while angie60, then you start looking for the fan/blotch tools. Hahaha. Good for research though. 😃

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to Kitharode's comment.

Would those be giant sized classifying tools Kitharode? - haha 😮

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Another great way to while away an hour or two! Thanks for the link.

Posted