Planet Four Talk

Inca City II

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi all, this is amongst the recent batch of images at HiRise, looks a lot like somewhere we all know, but it's a lot further North.

http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_044228_1440

Aztec City

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Fascinating shot! I guess we can call this area "Martian subtropical" . 😃 The terraine above your clip looks pretty interesting as well. ~ Pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Nice find. I look forward to hearing ideas about what's going on there. 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

Interesting. Looks like its on a smaller scale than Inca City. Certainly could be the same types of fault features.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Think it may be bigger than inca city and maybe the resemblance is only superficial - there's quite a lot of it when you look at HiRise

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

The reason I was thinking this was smaller is that the full scale and different valleys in Inca City only rely show up in CTX images, so that would make we think it's bigger than this region since the full structure;/extent is within a HiRISE image.

Still amazing what the eye can link! Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Looking at the link above, the HiRise indicates that this is in Hellas Planitia! Geographically, this is from @ +30deg to +60deg South. Interesting that this feature was found on the plain...

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

From the HiRise image: this is 35.681deg South, nearer the equator (than the Pole).

Posted