Planet Four Talk

A Question of Scale.

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I know that others, as well as myself, would like to be able to measure objects of interest that we see in the HiRise images. Even the ability to work with a relative scale would be really useful. To do this, we would need to know which images have which scale.

Both HiRise and MRO Map images come in different sizes and shapes; square, rectangle, skinny, but we don't know the scale of any. What I'd like to do is collect images of the same size and scale, so that I could 'measure' the size of objects in them.

Is this do-able? Cheers.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

The scale of the images roughly is on the HiRSE webpages. Again the images aren't map projected and we're at the pole so there are slight distortions especially at the edges of the HRISE images, but HiRISE covers a very small area on the Pole that we then cut up, so cutout to cutout (image we show on the main interface), you're probably safe counting pixels and converting to distance. On the HiRISE page I think there is a field called 'Original image scale range:' which gives you roughly the pixel to distance conversion.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Kith, pretty much all the greyscale HiRise images have a scale bar at the top see the first image in the "Examination of fans evident......." thread. Generally its in km so scaling down to surface features will have a bit of uncertainty hoing on butyoushould be able to get a fair idea

Posted