Planet Four Talk

High Difficulty Level

• MichaelHarleman by MichaelHarleman

I would appreciate it if some other folks could have a look at this image because I found a number of what I consider to be fans, but they were very faint and difficult to make out. The layer of sand was very thin, so it was difficult to determine where the fan started and where it ended. One area was so light I could only label it a blotch. There is of course one fan that is painfully obvious, but there are a lot more weather patterns visible to me on the image.

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Hi Michael,

My initial response was to classify as #boulders (the glassy objects roughly in the centre), #spiders and there are faint hints of a #blotch left of centre.

Thanks,

Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Definately boulders just off centre. I'm not seeing any fans though. I'd suggest that the snake-like white bits are remnants of co2 ice, but I might be wrong. Interesting image.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

I you take a look at the HiRise image http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/PSP/ORB_003000_003099/PSP_003070_1055/PSP_003070_1055_RED.abrowse.jpg you'll see that this is from an area with well defined spiders most of which show a 'shadow'. It'a spring image and I think before the years fans have kicked in - what you are seeing is thus the shadows of the previous years fans and blotchs.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to MichaelHarleman's comment.

Hi,

This is definitely a tough one and most images are not as difficult as this one. The dark patch makes it hard, but I would say that there are no fans or blotches in this image. We have 30 people review each image, so don't worry too much about the very hard images that appear from time to time. Do your best and chances are people will see what you're seeing too and it will get flagged if it is real.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Dark patch is definitely a better descriptive word (adjective). As Meg mentions it shall be classified by others - this is a more difficult image.

Posted