Planet Four Talk

Graduate Research Survey: Demographics of Zooniverse Space Science Projects

• citsciresearch by citsciresearch

I am a master's student conducting research on the demographics, participation habits, and overall science involvement of participants in Zooniverse's various space-related citizen science projects. Citizen science empowers research to process far greater amounts of data than would otherwise be possible. It has the potential to grow and become a more commonly used asset in the space sciences. I hope to explore further applications of citizen science projects, so having information about those who are currently involved in these projects will help to show where and how they can best be used. I have created a survey accessible at the following link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15kyqF_wFag9CDn6SZlMnSXexf0ok6H52GMIFMWOO1Vg/viewform It will take no more than 15 minutes. Please share the link with any other Zooniverse volunteers you might know. Your time and responses are greatly appreciated.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

A note to zooites: We have reached out to Brittany ( @citsciresearch ) to learn a bit more about what she's doing. We'll let you know once we get a few more things established!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I've done it anyway. Took about 2 minutes.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Any further info on this DZM? ~ Pete

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We spoke with Brittany and ended up recommending that she post more information here to further explain her research goals and methodology.

We haven't heard from her since, but next steps would be hers to take!

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Thanks DZM, I felt I would wait for the info before doing the survey., though am happy always to support. As you say- 'the ball is in her court'. Thanks for your follow up. ~ Pete.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to p.titchin's comment.

I actually originally used that exact phrase, but changed it because I'm trying to remember not to use idioms that might not be understood by non-native speakers! 😃

Posted

Thanks to the Zooniverse team and everyone who has responded so far! To summarize, I'm particularly interested in determining whether technology use trends would suggest citizen science efforts be expanded to mobile apps in addition to browser games, but I am investigating several aspects of citizen science and how we can use it more frequently and effectively in space sciences. I'd also like to note that I've slightly updated the wording to take into account non-US respondents. I am also still looking for responses, so if you have a moment and haven't yet taken the survey, I'd really appreciate it. I plan on dropping back with the finished research once this is done.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to citsciresearch's comment.

Sorry, Im a non us person, and would like the number of non useful 'aps' to be reduced, as they have become hugely complicated and redundant cloud as so many are duplicates.. Good luck however with your efforts, :-)~ Pete.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Just had a shufty, if thats the version "de usa'd" what was it like to start with?

I would suggest the make of phone (operating system) is less important than how good their broadband is.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to wassock's comment.

Just had a shufty, if thats the version "de usa'd" what was it like to start with?

... what? 😃

Terribly sorry, but I don't follow...

Posted

Shufty - take a look

Most of what I'm guessing are the Important questions in regard to what the survey will actually be used for are about (US) voting habits

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Ah. I'd think there'd be an option to exclude yourself if you're not American?

Posted

Yes it did say only if you are usa. But my point is that unless those are key questions with regard to the real point of the survey then theres no point in asking them. Thus if the point of the survey is to find out "if it would be a good idea to make a zooniverse app (for the world" then voting or not is irrelevant. Ergo the survey is not about having a zoo app, its about something else, presumably to do with influencing politicians

NB just going through a stroppy phase (argumentative)

Posted

Thank you everyone who responded! The article containing this research has been published and you can read it here.

Posted

• MaryamSiddiqa by MaryamSiddiqa

Done

Posted