Planet Four Talk

Mars Time

• wassock by wassock moderator

Does anyone have a handle on what "Mars Time" as attached to the HiRise images means? Is 2:14AM 2 hours after the 'middle' of the night - in mars (how many to the day) hours? Minutes to the hour?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

This blog post I wrote awhile back may help.
    Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks Meg, knew I'd seen that somewhere. So the time given with the HiRise images, is Mars time, 24 (slightly longer than Earth) hours to the day (sol)?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

That's my understanding is its local Mars time at the target, with a minute still equaling 60 seconds like on Earth.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mosestay90 by mosestay90

i think time is just a reference to which the satellite uses to mark a timing at which the picture was taken and not time with respect to mars. Just a thought, would there be time in a place if no one kept it?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mosestay90's comment.

Does a tree make a sound when it falls if no one is there?

Posted

• mosestay90 by mosestay90 in response to p.titchin's comment.

I think the counterargument may not be accurate as time is a gauge and thus is relative rather than actual sound, but you might be correct to point out that since no one was there to witness something, may or may not necessarily mean it happened.

Posted