Planet Four Talk

Techno fans - way out!

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

This image is amazing - contemporary art in my book. There seems to be fans of all shapes and sizes and at peculiar angles to one another.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I'd certainly rather have that on the wall than some art I've seen - but I only like what I like, so can't be critical.

Got a few like this in my collection, but nothing as black as this. I've usually thought in terms of 'linear venting', which most of them are, but I've often had a feeling of 'ooze' when I see some of these images. The 'hard walls' of fans might be tight rows of vents and could look like they do with a bit of wind around. But the rectangular moth under the big blob looks different.

Like you say, peculiar angles to one another. We've done twin fans and they seem straight forward enough; vent with wind left, stop, vent with wind right, stop. Logical. This image isn't logical (but what is on Mars?). So when I look at the hard edges now, like I said before, this idea of ooze keeps creeping in. Maybe not.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

But the rectangular moth under the big blob looks different.

That's a great description of it. Be interesting to see what one of the scientists says.

this idea of ooze keeps creeping in.

I think you might be right. You mean a continuous slow release of dirt and dust? So under that rectangular moth might be a thin straight line crack?

Posted