Planet Four Talk

citizen science project

• rowbumby by rowbumby

ok so we all know that at some stage all citizen science project come to an end and all though I dont wont this one too,sadly it will, but the question is how close are we to doing all the classifying in this project ?.
    Also I noticed the MRO images classified counter has slowed down by miles, so only a few of us left 😉

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar

Yes 3.4M and counting. Aren't we due some new season images soon so they can compare with the ones we are currently classifying ? 😉

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby in response to Chocstar's comment.

Yes that's right ,on January 25, 2013 we were told on the planet fours blog under ''to the North!'' by Anya that ''We are planning to add northern hemisphere images to this project too''. However I have no idea when this will happen 😭

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Nothing to worry about right now. Planet Four is not ending any time soon. I don't have the exact numbers on how much of the data has been analyzed, but we have images that are not even loaded into the site (the North and the 1st season of HIRES observations of the south pole, plus the spider analysis that should be happen at some point in the future).

What you're seeing is sort of the nature of online citizen science projects. The number of people ebbs and flows with press exposure, newsletters, time of year. The majority of classifications actually come from people who do a few classifications and leave. There are also more long term dedicated volunteers like yourselves who participate in the discussion tools and continue to classify for longer periods. Yes, the numbers have dropped since stargazing, but that's to be expected. They'll go up when we send an email newsletter to all the registered volunteers in a month or so and remind them about the project and give an update, and some will come back and classify. We also get new people daily and as the project becomes more well known (through age, promoting science results, etc) the average number of classifiers per day will grow.

Right now we're working on getting the classifications from the database and analyzing them to see what we have from the completed images.

~Meg

Posted