Planet Four Talk

And Then there were three

• wassock by wassock moderator

These 3 images all show the same area APF0000puh APF0000apv APF0000q37

Posted

The large fan in the first appears to eminate from a bright feature in the 2nd - follow a horizontal channel from the base of the smooth feature right to find it) and there is a smaller fan in the 3rd image which also appears to come from the same spot.

Posted

The 3rd image shows 6 different areas with the same general morphology as the large feature in the first - a 'smooth area' with a ditch to one side - all the ditches seem to be in the same position relative to the smooth bit.

Posted

Has any one got other sightings of these features?

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

Of course I have wassock! I have been doing a sideline in these features too! wow, that is spooky! We are definitely on the same wavelength dude. I have been calling them 'Silver Crescents'....I had a bigger collection but deleted them all! It all comes down to recognising patterns...!

APF0000apg

APF0000ank

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

Check out my comments from 10-12 days ago on the APF0000puh picture board.

They are always on the same angle, and I speculate that makes them a wind thing. Have you noticed that many of the fans are SE to NW orientated-well so are these bad boys.........It must be wind, possibly the katabatic?

I also speculated that the blurring of the images is gas (with no dust) being blown from the icy ridge across the picture, obscuring it, but that is seemingly not the case! Are they old fans that have soaked back into the ice, smoothing it chemically? That's my current theory, anyway. Cheers was.....

PJ

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar in response to wassock's comment.

I've noticed that images are probably near each other when they share the same 3rd character from the end of their ID eg "e" in this case....

http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000e85

http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000e9b

http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000e8d

Just speculating. Maybe this helps you with your other image locations.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I believe the images that you're seeing are from larger HiRISE images that are broken into smaller subimages. To make sure the edges are accurately classified, we have another set of subimages dithered so that the corners are somewhere in the middle of the image. That's probably what you're seeing.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to mschwamb's comment.

Meg, the three image I'm referencing are not different views of the same larger image, they are 3 time separated (different fans) images showing the same place, the large surface feature is in all 3, but the area and orientation of each differs slightly.

Posted

Been looking around and there are lots of these features and they must have a common cause, any ideas?

CPFS00019t APF0000aps just 2 further examples there are lots more

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

ah -yeah - since the images come from a seasonal monitoring campaign that definitely repeat image some regions over and over again.

~Meg

Posted

There's only 2 or 3 which are obviously the same thing, many others showing the same basic structure of a smooth appearing bit with a ridge/ditch system which always appears to be in the same position wrt the smooth bit (~lower right))

Posted