Planet Four Talk

E sector looks like the boundary edge of a very large valley with lines in the land in W secto perpendicular to boundary edge like tectonic fault linesrmoving

• buzzybeeinstars by buzzybeeinstars

I have marked a line of stars along what looks like an indent in the land surface.. the bit along the indent to the E looks like the boundary of a very large valley. Similar to the Antelope Valley in Calif. When you are standing in parts of the AV you are not aware you are in a valley becaure the surrounding mountains are so far away you are not aware that you are surrounded by mountains. just that you are on very falt and large desert! I restricted my marking in the west to 2 linesof stars . The land here shows slight lines indicating that the land is "flowing"" tectonically speaking" perpendicular to this ridge.I "flows from NW to SE, running into the valley rim. The singel star at due East marks an interesting isolated small ridge. The large blotck kmarks avery large cloud of black stuff hanging over the whole area of most of E sector. Within this area is a single fan and a single blotch of the now familiar black stuff.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi can you give a link to the image so we can see what you are looking at? NB us mortals can't see the markers you put on the images

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

We know that Mars doesn't have plate tectonics that's why the volcanoes are Mars are such much larger than the Earth. The channels you're probably seeing in the images are carved into the surface of Mars by carbon dioxide gas trapped under the thawing carbon dioxide ice sheet on the south pole of Mars. Those are blotches and fans which are deposits of dust and dirt. They are produced by carbon dioxide geysers on the South pole of Mars which lofts the dust on to the top of the carbon dioxide ice sheet in the summer and fall in the Southern hemisphere. We want you to mark these with the blotch and fan tool. You can learn more about what these features are here and here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted