Planet Four Talk

Getting started

• alanwoodburn by alanwoodburn

Hi. New to this. Is there a way of erasing mistakes?
    Others seem to have invented their pown classifications,beyond fans, blotches and spiders. Should I be doing this?

Alan

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to alanwoodburn's comment.

Hi Alan,
    Welcome to the project. There isn't a way of erasing mistakes once a classification is submitted. But that's okay. We use multiple classifications from different people and combine so if you made a mistake on one . That's okay. Chances are the people marked it correctly. On Talk yes you can make up your own hashtags for other new things. If you spot anything like what's posted in our blog please do label them too.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

Sorted. Only now I can't work out how to get pictures up to discuss them. eg I have some nice boulders but don't know how to communicate them.

Posted

• bleasdales by bleasdales

you have to click finish then discuss, if you just click discuss you loose your image. 😦

Posted

Yep. Thanks. I knew I'd got that page once, but couldn't find it.

Posted

• JamesP1982 by JamesP1982

once i've put a fan around something and click finish how do i know if it was anything?

Posted

• doolsa69 by doolsa69

how do i get other pic and good close ups?

Posted

• banjojam by banjojam

Hi to all,
    As someone who is not unintelligent, I am wondering what the purpose of this whole exercise is? Are we expected to just post any comments, no matter how wacky, about these strange land features? How is the correctness or otherwise of these comments/observations to be verified, and by whom , and in what manner?
    Or is this just another facebook social thingy for everyone's amusement.
    Questions, questions, needing answers {-😃
    If it is just to get people interested, then there are oodles of other more pressing nearer home issues.
    I always thought that this stuff was the domain of geeks and serious scientists/academics.

Posted

• julia333 by julia333

I can't get started! I have Google Chrome, 1st and 3rd party cookies are enabled. During the tutorial when I click on the origin of the fan the fan tool appears at least 1cm below its true place on the photo. When I hover over the diamonds, the cross appears but when I try and drag it all I can achieve is a new "starting icon" (A circle with an x inside and diamonds either side). A small white shape is left on the map (it looks a bit like a short pencil). The new starting icon appears about a cm down from the previous one and slightly off to the side?
    I thought this might be a glitch with the tutorial and having pressed "Finished" I did get a Mars photo to classify, but the same problems persist. I tried to classify a blotch, got the circle in the right place by clicking approx 1cm above the image, but couldn't enlarge the white circle, again the cross feature wouldn't expand and I just created another white circle. The fan problem was as before. Is this happening to anyone else? I so wanted to participate in this activity but am unable to 😢 I deleted all the markings so that they don't give incorrect classifications to your results. If I have no joy with this, I wish you all good luck with this fascinating project. xxx

Posted

• ourmanfred by ourmanfred

Banjojam.
    Firstly, your comment typifies the kind of unhelpful, arrogant attitude that puts people off science.
    Secondly, the purpose of this exercise is to expand our knowledge of existence by making effective use of the awesome data processing resources we have available to us in the modern world, combined with the human brain's unparalleled pattern recognition capability.
    Thirdly, 'this stuff' IS the domain of serious scientists and everyone who has taken the time to participate in this project can confidently call themselves such, having displayed and acted upon the innate human curiosity that has been the spur for every single scientific act and achievement in history.
    Finally 'not unintelligent' is an accurate description of every member of our entire species, not just you. It's also a double negative. Your post contains incorrect capitalisation and garbled syntax. Most annoyingly of all, you used a smiley as punctuation. Have you considered taking your amazing head out of your bum and into an English lesson?

Now, before I encountered Banjojam's hideous comment, I was going to ask - what should we do If the terrain in a whole image is interesting? Leave one 'interesting feature' tag on the image, or post the image to the forum for discussion? Thanks in advance for help and answers!

Posted

• ridela by ridela

found an image before i signed up have image number. can you search for image if you have its number

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to alanwoodburn's comment.

Hi Alan,
    I'm assuming you're read our blog about interesting features to mark? To discuss an image you classified in the main interface, once you've marked any fans and blotches and interesting features you hit the Finished button. Then you can either click on Next or Discuss. Click on Discuss. That will bring you to the Talk page for that image where you can comment.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to ridela's comment.

No, we don't currently have that functionality built into the site. Maybe that is something we can add in the future.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted