Planet Four Talk

Hello everyone!

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin

When travelling to a new planet, it's best to know your fellow travellers, so let's introduce ourselves. I'm Chris - I lead the motley band of misfits that build and create Zooniverse projects, spending most of my time in Oxford and some time in Chicago. I've been an astronomer for as long as I remember, looking up at the sky and wondering what I'm seeing. I've always thought Mars the most intriguing of worlds, and would happily travel there even without a return ticket.

Posted

• laurawhyte by laurawhyte admin

Hello fellow travellers,

I wanted to be the first woman to travel to Mars when I was knee high to a grasshopper. With the passing years, this dream is becoming more and more unlikely, but at least I can now explore the surface of Mars!

As an educator I'm also interested in using Planet Four as a teaching resource. Budding planetary scientists and Martian explorers everywhere can begin their quest to the red planet from the comfort of their bedroom/classroom/treehouse, no geology degree of astronaut training required!

Ok, so who else out there dreamt (or maybe still dreams) of travelling the solar system?

Posted

• bretarn by bretarn

Hello everybody, few words to introduce myself; I'm French , living near Montpellier,in south west France, I'm a nurse working as coordinator for organ procurement , I've always been interested in space program since as a teen I saw Amstrong walking on the moon! Since, I have some activities in Nature protect generally and as Member of French branch of Bird life organisation; Please, forgive my poor English , it's a bit rusty

Posted

• QuantumNinja by QuantumNinja

Hello world!

I'm Cyrus, from India. We look at the sky a lot too here, but from a slightly different declination.
    I'm a Physics and Computer Science student with an avid interest in cosmology and space exploration.
    My favorite occupation was fixed to "space scientist" at 5 and hasn't changed since. I still nourish a deep desire to be an astronaut myself and am probably never going to let that go.

I think crowdsourcing real and fascinating science like this is an incredible way to encourage science among the younger generation and have already spread this to the Amateur Astronomy Group in my college.

Thanks Chris for giving us this opportunity to contribute to something really worthwhile. It's a real pleasure to be doing something so incredible without the need for any rigorous background or academic pre-qualifications.

Cheers : )

Posted

• UtenzilAres by UtenzilAres

Hi, saw this noted on twitter and was immediately interested, I'm in US, MD, east coast near Wash DC.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I thought I'd join in. I'm Meg Schwamb from the science team. I'm American and currently for the past three years working at Yale University, in Connecticut, USA, as a National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow. Before that I was a PhD student at Caltech, in southern California.I'm a planetary scientist and an astronomer. I'm interested in how planets form and evolve. In addition to the work I'm doing with Planet Four, I study extrasolar planets with the Zooniverse's Planet Hunters project. I also examine small bodies in the our solar system right now looking for large Pluto-sized bodies in the Southern skies.

Mars is the Earth's planetary sister and yet has evolved so differently from the Earth. What I find so exciting about this project, is that we're exploring a truly alien phenomenon. There is no analog for these seasonal fans, blotches on the Earth. Each image is like taking an expedition to study the South Pole of Mars.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi everybody!

I am from the science team too. I am working on Martian polar areas, so I am one of those people, who needs your help! I am very excited about the opportunity to be able to see our images turned into other type of data, very useful one.
    About myself: I am from Ukraine, but at the moment I live in the USA. I got my PhD in Germany and also for some time worked in Switzerland. Apart from Mars, I am interested in all icy worlds out there. Back on Earth I love science fiction, photography and dancing.
    Will be happy to help you out with scientific questions about this project!

Anya

Posted

• DugLess by DugLess

Hi All,

I am an engineer not an astronomer but having some good fans and blobs on the maps I have seen. I am in the UK and love art, cooking and Sailing

Dave

Posted

• spooks34 by spooks34

Greetings!!
    My name is Geoff and im a mechanical engineer..........and a sci-fi geek!
    Im from north east uk.

Posted

• AstroCam by AstroCam

Hi everyone! An Astrophysics student here from Yorkshire, happy to be of some help to a project in my free time!

Keep up the good work - Cameron

Posted

• Ellenmarie6463 by Ellenmarie6463

hi everyone

im thinking i shouldnt be doing this as i have no phd or qualifications. i was a qualifed soldier but thats it 😦 as a child i always wanted to go to space. and i would love to learn more.

Posted

• cellogirl007 by cellogirl007

Hi everyone! I have a microbiology background and now work in food science - rather a way from girlhood dreams pf being an astronaut!! Am loving helping with this and spotting the unusual martian features. Outside from astronomy I am into horses, cello, the paranormal and reading. Hope everyone enjoys the next two nights! Sarah x

Posted

• jclitheroe by jclitheroe

Hi all, I saw this on Stargazing Live. I have no experience of looking at Mars but happy to help if possible! I live in Selby, Yorkshire.
    Jackie

Posted

• delete_def2cad5 by delete_def2cad5

Hi everyone,

I've just signed up after watching Stargazing Live on BBC 2 in the UK and would very much like to take part in this project if I can figure out how this all works. I'm from Scotland, UK and have had an interest in astronomy for some time now. I'm by no means an expert or professional though, but love a lot of things about space and the Universe, like watching eclipses, meteor showers that kind of thing (although I often have to find somewhere online to watch as weather conditions sometimes aren't suitable or they're just not visible from my part of the world) as well as having an interest in following the moon cycles, anomalies on planets and anything about planets themselves and would be interested in learning more. Not owning a telescope or anything I either just watch from home with the naked eye or via the net for eclipses and stuff if I can find somewhere to view from. I often just enjoy sky-watching for stars, any visible planets and watching out for anything unusual. I have many other hobbies, interests and things going no day to day but thought I'd just share the ones relevant to this site and project for now.

I managed to get through the classify tutorial here but am really new to all this so not really sure what happens next. Any guidance/advice would be appreciated, thanks. I'd like to be able to classify some things myself and whatever else taking part involves. Thanks Chris for creating this Zooniverse project and for giving us all a place to start and get to know our fellow Stargazing fans in starting this thread. Nice to meet you all 😃

Shona

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

Hi everybody, I am also in the science team and can't wait to get my fingers on all the classified stuff (hehe) you all have managed to click together. I am German, currently living in USA, after having worked as a scientist in Switzerland, Germany and the UK.] My interests are mostly space related activities like space instrumentation, planetary data analysis, machine learning for science data analysis (which is where I will be using the results from here).
    These fans are basically the most dynamic thing going on TODAY on the surface of Mars and we really like to understand better how they are being formed, as they are pretty unique on Mars. We don't have CO2 gas jets on Earth and similar fan-shaped deposits have not been observed here. So thanks for all your help and I am looking forward to keep you guys updated about how these results look like.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Posted

• medgington5 by medgington5 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg

Just been on and found an image of a perfectly round ball, have logged the item as an interesting object but i think its more than that, i cant see how i can go back and find it as i have moved my images forward, can you help?
    Thanks in advance

Posted

• delete_def2cad5 by delete_def2cad5

Managed to figure it out - found where I sign up to take part in the Exploring Mars project, clicked on "take part" and then got through to new pics for me to classify by myself. Will do my best and chuffed to be part of this 😃

Posted

• GtYarmouth by GtYarmouth

WAVES to everyone !!! See you on Mars soon !

Posted

• Spider95 by Spider95

Hello all. Here thanks to watching Stargazing live on BBC2 tonight. Have had a go at some classifiying - not sure if I'm doing the right thing or not! But it's very cool! 😃

Posted

• Marswalker by Marswalker

Hi, Just wanted to draw your attention to the huge dark blotch in the top left, very big, wasn't sure if it was more of a mountain than a blotch.

Posted

• leevanj by leevanj

Hello, thought I'd chip in and try help find those little green guys, i mean guysers ! It's always been a dream to fly to other planets, this is good enough for now 😃

Posted

• fatkat by fatkat

hi ....I'm a retired firefighter with a degree in earth science whos hobby is goldpaning ...thought I add my two pennysworth to the discussion and observations

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist in response to Marswalker's comment.

Hey Marswalker, would be best to draw the attention to special images on the Discuss page for that image. After every classification you can go to the "Discuss" page via the icon underneath the "Next" icon.

Posted

• Mgayette by Mgayette

Hello to you all. I'm in Devonshire U.K. I'm a field researcher and after watching the BBC show I thought I would check out the project. I'm enjoying it immensely trouble is now I can't stop clicking on to the next image. I need to sleep but its just too damn compelling.

Posted

• danmizzou85 by danmizzou85

Hey guys! My name's Dan, American, and I'm an international consultant out of San Francisco, who's always had a deep love for the last frontier, and for sci-fi, of course. I think it's quite impressive to have everyone on board for such an immense and fascinating project. Keep up the great work guys!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to medgington5's comment.

the image should be in your recent viewed images which you can access from the main interface. By clicking on the profile it will take you to those recent viewed images.
    ~Meg

Posted

• martin61 by martin61 in response to zookeeper's comment.

Hi everyone! My name is Martin, I'm a carpenter from Bath UK. I am completely fascinated by everything to do with space exploration, the make up of planets etc etc. I really wish I studied harder, so that I could do this for a living!

Posted

• 0zz4y by 0zz4y

Hey all! I am a horse riding instructor, and a physics / astronomy student, living in the South West UK.

Posted

• gillian.moran by gillian.moran

Hello, fellow explorers!

I'm a writer from West Yorkshire and have always been hooked on space without having the mathematical ability to make a career of it. So this is a fantastic opportunity to Do Space Science... it's also very reassuring to learn that our individual readings of the images will be averaged out. And the interesting feature star? EVERYTHING is interesting, it's MARS for goodness' sake!

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

Hi fellow explorers, I live in Devon in the UK ( I came for the 99 eclipse and never went home ), I have been a keen Amateur Astronomer for over 30 years and this project is like a dream come true. Recently fractured my knee so hence the user name, will have plenty of time on my hands and this is a great way to stave off cabin fever

Posted

• dave_the_planetbuilder by dave_the_planetbuilder

Hello everyone

I'm Dave the Planetbuilder for a reason. Now and then I build model planets. I've worked on Mars and a terraformed version is in the Adler Planetarium.

Although I worked on images in Galaxy Zoo for awhile I've long been absent and have just started looking at images on this project. Anyway, I've found what looks like a crescent shaped lake bed on my 2nd image! I've marked it with the star shaped interesting feature. It's not big and the reason I think it could be a lake is because it's part of a complex system of rivers covering the upper left part of the image. I've also marked it as a favourite but am still finding my way round this site so I hope I haven't lost it.

Posted

• redkiteyorks by redkiteyorks

Hi all! I'm here after seeing 'Stargazing Live' on BBC television last night. I'm an amateur archaeologist, amateur geologist and a photographer. For the last four years I've been working on two archaeology projects up here in Yorkshire in the Rombalds Moor area, both associated with the study of Neolithic/early Bronze Age carved rocks and surrounding archeology/geology. The images from this project are astonishing - the geology is astounding and completely beyond my comprehension. I have to learn more!
    Mike

Posted

• theclearskiesofthemoon by theclearskiesofthemoon

Hi. Obviously I'm also here due to (no)Stargazing Live. This is actually my second time looking for things on Mars. I few years ago I searched a map for the lost Beagle 2. I'm glad I get to this now, as I haven't seen a clear sky here on Earth for the last four weeks...

Posted

• alejandrojl by alejandrojl

Hi!
    I'm Alejandro from Argentina.
    I work as a systems administrator and currently I study psychology in university. But my life is all curious affairs 😃
    I have some technical (electronic, radio, etc) and scientific background. I love the space and especially the radio waves 😃
    I currently active in some Zooniverse projects mainly in: Planethunters, Serengeti, Seti and now Planetfour.

The best to everyone!

Posted

• magtys by magtys

Hi I'm Margaret and always been fascinated by Mars! What a great project. It's the active bits which are great after having been told disappointingly for years that Mars was a dead lifeless planet. I'm a biologist and live in the Stockport area.....

Posted

• spookwoman by spookwoman

From Ireland have been interested in space and sci fi since I was a kid

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

Hi Everyone...

My name is Archie and I am a retired Laser Printer Engineer from Scotland.. Just a casual Mars observer fascinated by the Mars Curiosity Project. Just been watching BBC Stargazing and thought I might volunteer a few hours each week to help.

Posted

• worswick_kids by worswick_kids

Hi we are the Worswick children. we would love to know more about space and so we are looking at Mars with our Dad and his girlfriend. We would welcome any help in learning more about the universe and all it's wonders.

Posted

• shipmanscientists by shipmanscientists

Hi guys,
    WE ARE THE SHIPMAN FAMILY FROM NOTTINGHAM!
    LETS EXPLORE THE RED PLANET!

Posted

• worswick_kids by worswick_kids in response to shipmanscientists's comment.

Hi Shipman family. We are Dylan Teigan And Liberty. Have fun exploring xxx

Posted

• ronae by ronae

Hi I am Rona from Helmsdale, north Scotland, I am newby to all this buat have found it very interesting so far.

Posted

• Subtle_Knife by Subtle_Knife

Hello, I'm a historian by education, but since there probably won't be much need for me in that capacity on Mars, I'm trying to make myself useful here.

Posted

• DugLess by DugLess

Some of the images that I have seen so far are beautiful

Posted

• NickBarban by NickBarban

Hi all Martian lovers.

I'm Nick Barban. Saw BBC stargazing live last night and was onto the mars explore site straight away.

I used to run SETI on my PC 24hrs a day and found a couple of minor candidates. Didn't come to anything but cool none the less.

Maybe I'll find something of interest on Mars?

Posted

• kodemunkey by kodemunkey

Hello all, i usually hang out on the moon zoo forum.

Posted

• heat5555 by heat5555

Hello. my name is Heather and I live in Hull, England, I have had a look at the Mars surface and did some of the examining, I hope the ones I have done are ok, if there is anything like this on the internet, then I usually jump at the chance of doing it.

Posted

• kevski81 by kevski81

Hi, I joined after watching stargazing live, I enjoy looking up at the night sky and love photography. Most of the images, although very interesting, none have compared to this one APF00009ju, there is a chimney looking object, very strange indeed!!!

Posted

• H00psy by H00psy

Hi all, I love 'looking up' and have been doing so since I can remember. A frustrated Illustrator by trade, work in Housing and i'm from the south of England. Cannot wait to get involved with this project, thank you for the opportunity!

Posted

• Mark_MDubbaYa_Williams by Mark_MDubbaYa_Williams

Hello fellow Star Gazers, My names Mark, 23 and from the West Midlands, England. nice to meet you all =) I've been brought here and motivated by watching StarGazing Live and I am fascinated and hooked on astronomy and physics now thanks to all the scientists and professors involved on the programme !!! Thank you sooo much for involving sooooo many people to help investigate the planet Mars =)

Posted

• Judith_Williamson by Judith_Williamson

The variety of terrain is what's surprised me most. Having done BSc.Hons (mostly geology) with the OU, some of it's kinda familiar, some not. I'm a nurse who needs the sanity of rocks.

Posted

• IanAndJem by IanAndJem

Hello fellow mars dwellers found any pics that are really good?

Posted

• Mark_MDubbaYa_Williams by Mark_MDubbaYa_Williams in response to AstroCam's comment.

Hi AstroCam, nice to meet you =) I was wondering what path did you have to take to start studying Astrophysics as I am super keen to start studying that subject or something similar ?? thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated, Mark =)

Posted

• Mark_MDubbaYa_Williams by Mark_MDubbaYa_Williams in response to IanAndJem's comment.

you have some very interesting images my friend ! =)

Posted

• paula_collier by paula_collier

hi everyone its normally my husband who is hooked on this but after watching stargazing on the bbc ive been converted. He even took his telescope on our honeymoon. I understand now. I have also been lucky enough to veiw jupiter and the four moons all lined up. Looking forward to learning more.

Posted

• lordswat by lordswat in response to zookeeper's comment.

Greetings, I come from Triton, Neptune's moon, I come in peace.

Mars Atmospheric Composition: 95.3% Carbon Dioxide, 2.7% Nitrogen, and 1.6% Argon

Hi fellow Zooniverse members! I'm Lord Swat, I'm still in my youth (under 16) but I love astronomy and I heard about this project. I was always fascinated by the Martian system. I also like microbiology so I joined the Cancer project. I'm new. Bye!

P.S. I'm going Phobos and Deimos! Farewell Earthlings!

Posted

• SOPHIEANN by SOPHIEANN

i want to ask my girlfriend to marry live on the show tonight and name a love heart i found on mars after her, BIG SURPRISE !!!!!!!!

how can i get on the show ........... Sean from barnsley, yorkshire. if any one knows how we can get on the show please let me know... thanks

Posted

• cathyevans2004ol.com by cathyevans2004ol.com

*Hi, I'm cathy and I am just a retired teacher. I have no scientific qualification and no real knowledge but my 11 year old grandchild and I are scrutinizing the images and discussing them. We have seen some very interesting images and have marked them buy have only just realised that the comments we would have liked to make could have been recorded in 'discuss'. The experience has been wonderful.

Posted

• thekiffer by thekiffer

A quick hello,my name is ashley i have always been interested in why the universe exists and what is the purpose of it all,personally i feel it has been created by a higher conciousness and we are merely lab rats,i will never get the answers to the questions i have or travel to another planet so i will be looking on here so i can feel a little closer to the truth, have fun.

Posted

• spamfree by spamfree

Hi,

At what height are the photograph's taken of Mars in the Zooniverse Project ?
    I can't get a feeling of the scale when I look at them .
    Thanks,
    Keith.

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar

Hello. It's been a long time since I graduated with a Degree in Physics with Planetary and Space Physics here in the UK (encouraged by Heather Couper). I thought it was about time I took a more active role with my interest in our planets again. Looking forward to being a small part of this interesting project and seeing everyone's results.

Posted

• pigosoratus by pigosoratus

I've noticed some of the spiders appear black in parts on one of the frames that popped my way. Assume this is same material that is ejected to form blotches and fans .. but what is it ? .. if its the base-level below the frozen ice then presumably the planet appears black when the ice has fully melted ?

Posted

• jenniijade by jenniijade

hi my names jennifer. im just someone that like watching the stargazing programme and thought id come on to look at the photos. i dont know much about the markings or the colours, just think they look nice (^_^). so if anyone could help that be good.

Posted

• alchemist700 by alchemist700

Hi all! I'm a recently retired chemistry teacher living in Scotland and have, since a fairly young age, been fascinated with space. In the latter part of my career I had the good fortune to become involved with the "Excitement of Science" programme which was organised by the Rotary in the UK. Two of the projects involved using a small radio telescope at Jodrell Bank and were overseen by Tim O'Brien, whom I met at the Royal Institution.

Posted

• calxtrain by calxtrain

Hello, I'm an aquarian & I have an interest in Jupiter AND Mars! 😉

Posted

• brendan73 by brendan73

Hi folks! Brendan from Norfolk UK here. Love all things sci-fi so, looking on the plains of Mars...wow!!! 😮)

Posted

• alro by alro

hello

Posted

• willriley by willriley

Hello there, Sam, my son and I (Will) really enjoy scouting on mars while eating pizza. I am a space/ scifi nut ever since my dad got me up early one day in 1969 to watch the moon walk.. Hopefully passing on some of the wonder to my 10 year old. Difficult if he wants the computer while I'm typing.

Posted

• aaveen by aaveen

Hi, loving this how can I share my photo with others ??

Posted

• BennyHosk by BennyHosk

Hello everyone!

My names Ben and I love anything to do with space. Loving this site so keep up the good work and thanks!

Posted

• Dreamsight by Dreamsight

hi everyone, it's an honor to be able to take part in something like this. Cheltenham armchair explorer, boldly going where no man has gone before

Posted

• EileenClarke by EileenClarke

Hi
    My name is Eileen, I'm from Cobh in Ireland and I am at final stage of Geosciences degree. I'm trying still trying to find my way around this site.

Posted

• rosmcgregor1 by rosmcgregor1

Hi there fellow explorers. How exciting is this an opportunity for a close look at MARS! I teach in a Scottish primary school and will be passing this information on, hoping that our children can get involved with some help from parents.

Posted

• EthanHerlihyTV by EthanHerlihyTV

Nothing to do with Astronomy
    Just my hobby .
    i study every day.
    -ETV

Posted

• EthanHerlihyTV by EthanHerlihyTV in response to rosmcgregor1's comment.

Sounds Intresting ! , Must be hard to be to teach it , Kids might be intrested in Exo Planets

Posted

• EthanHerlihyTV by EthanHerlihyTV in response to EileenClarke's comment.

Ey , ! Im from rochestown ! Cork , anyways Seen any Icey looking stuff !?

Posted

• pyr0pixie by pyr0pixie

Hey there 😃 I am Frances Jones from England 😃 Just wanted to say i am space mad, covered in space tattoos, hooked on observing mars and willing to live in space if the opportunity arises!!! Please take a look at my gallery i have some amazing finds 😄 P.s...anyone else come across the straight lines landscape???I never knew nature could create straight lines.

Posted

• guidobeny by guidobeny

Hello to everyone. I'm Guido living in Brussels and Chemistry and Biochemistry lecturer at the University College of Industrial Sciences in Leuven. Great project his Mars exploring, reminds me the days when my computer was running day and night in the SETI project. Good luck to everyone while exploring

Posted

• paulgorman by paulgorman

Hello Paul From Norfolk here, is it me or do some of the photo's of the resemible under ground ant farms structures that we have here, I saw a program not so long ago where they poured cement into a under ground ant coloney and they were amazed by the amount of different chambers the ants had mad? just a thought??

Posted

• paulgorman by paulgorman

sorry for the spelling!!

Posted

• winolino by winolino

Hello all,
    My name is Matt, I'm from the Midlands and I have no background in Astronomy / physics / cosmology but a profound enthusiasm to learn more about these subjects. Some of the images captured by the MRO are simply breathtaking and I'm looking forward to discussing what the features are / how they came about.

Posted

• Bristlegav by Bristlegav

Hello fellow explorers!
    My name is Gavin and i currently reside in Nottingham uk, i've always been intrested in space and space related science so was very pleased to be able to take part for which i thank you, i would have loved to go into space but think i'm probably too old now to make it as an astronaut. I have no formal qualafications so this could well be the only way for me to get involved. - Gavin

Posted

• Jegory by Jegory

Hi everyone, I live in the UK and I've been watching Stargazing Live over the last couple of nights.i even submitted a question... but it didn't get answered. 😦 Anyway I love astronomy, and it's just incredible that we can all be a part of this! Thanks a bunch for this and I'll be exploring Mars hopefully for a long time after this!

Posted

• bago9 by bago9

Hello and good evening ....Bago9 UK ,,,,,,, This is ground control to major tom 😃

Posted

• Envizage by Envizage

Hi all.
    Exiled Londoner living in Liverpool.
    Watching Stargazing live for the last three nights.

Still can't get over the idea that I can sit here on a knackered old laptop and look at images of Mars, much less contribute in some small way.

Posted

• Vesta2409 by Vesta2409

Hi Everyone,

I've loved the Stargazing Live nights this week and have been happy to help identify some of these features on Mars.

Elaine

Posted

• Marswalker by Marswalker

This whole thing is so exciting, actually to be able to look at the surface of Mars and contribute bits of information that might be useful! I love it!

Posted

• mermaidnwuk by mermaidnwuk

Hi, fellow skygazers,

I have loved watching each of the Stargazing series on TV, rushing outside at the end of each one to see what is on display in the heavens above my home. I live right on the Cumbrian coast, facing the Irish Sea and experience cloudy nights and spectacularly clear nights - all serve to delight and frustrate my skygazing efforts. It is absolutely wonderful to think that I can now get involved in helping to identify 'fans', 'blotches' and 'interesting features' on another planet - mind-boggling, really!

Posted

• simpson731btinternet.com by simpson731btinternet.com

Hello fellow "Stargazers"by day I am a Chef,when the sun goes down and I finish work I become drawn to the wonders in the night sky,to be given this chance to search the surface of mars is like a child being sat in a "Racing Car" and told "Go race son" exciting is an understatement,
    Absolutely spellbounding 3 cheers for all you scientists out there without you guys this world would be dull,
    Thanks
    Simmo

Posted

• angi60 by angi60

Hi everyone. I'm a retired teacher from North Wales and I've had a love of the stars and planets etc since childhood. My Mum told me I used to point to Mars in the night sky as a baby in the pram, so this project is my dream come true! Pure heaven!

Posted

• byjupiter by byjupiter

hi , im len,fascinated with all this stuff,wow,to me it looks like a lot of this stuff is floating, on a mush.could there be something that keeps it semi liquid. a possible source of heat?chemical maybe,methane perhaps, certainly i would not want to go walkies there,especially .not in a kilt

Posted

• carolyninglasgow by carolyninglasgow

I'm an Optometrist and even though I'm not working as such in Scotland I have about 20 years experience in testing patients eyes and also setting up telescopes, explaining/selling these to customers. I have always observed the night sky and I'm a member of the Astronomical Society Glasgow (www.theasg.org.uk)

I was involved in the Planet Hunters project since the start (end 2010) and found a planet candidate: kplr009097892, SPH10077343, after listening to Chris Lintott in Stargazing Live 2 days ago I decided to check out this project too!

Citizen Scientists can have a huge impact in the amount of invaluable working hours by participating in such a project. Enjoy guys!
    Carolyn

Posted

• Medina102 by Medina102

Im Dionne and im having fun classifying with my daughter who is 10 and homeschooled 😃

Posted

• Frances700 by Frances700

Hello sofa astronaut here

Posted

• nixxie_pixx by nixxie_pixx

I'm Nicky & I live on the south coast of England. I love the moonzoo when it first came out and have spent many happy hours playing 'boulder wars'. Any chance of anything similar for the lpanet four classification?

Posted

• chpets by chpets

Hi everyone, I'm not a scientist, educator, engineer, but I have always been interested in the sky. At seven I did a presentation on constellations, at 11 (1961) when asked what I wanted to be my reply was astronaut. Sadly this was never to be but having the opportunity to take part in this project almost makes up for it. Love it.

Posted

• chpets by chpets in response to gillian.moran's comment.

Hi Gillian nice to know someone from my area participating too

Posted

• EmmaNL by EmmaNL

Hi there..

Am a current OU student in the middle of a Physics and Astronomy type degree right now.. I'm based in The Netherlands and I'm doing this with the help of my 10 yr old son who has Aspergers and thus an amazing eye for detail..
    We're having a great time..😃

Posted

• Morgana88 by Morgana88

What a wonderful way to beat the January Blues! The afternoon seems to have flown by. I hope I'm doing it properly - each image I see is totally different from the others and I'm convinced I'm finding amazing things. (Though probably not...) But it's so good to feel I'm doing something worthwhile. I was rivetted to 'Stargazing Live' although I didn't really understand a lot of it. I just love staring at the night sky and would get a telescope if I thought the clouds would clear long enough for me to use it. This will do in the meantime, though. Haven't had so much fun for ages!

Posted

• pmoynihan by pmoynihan

Hi all, I'm a middle aged woman with various interests. A lot based around the internet, so, I'm finding this very interesting. Good luck to the scientists working on this.

Posted

• Death_Jester by Death_Jester

Hiya folks.
    This is going to be exciting and interesting. already started dont think i have found anything interesting as yet. but hopeful.

One note however, each image is what size in relation to ground surface? 1 meter sq, 1 mile sq, 10, 100, 1000?

M.

Posted

• MoonSquirrel by MoonSquirrel

Been tagging since day one of Stargazing Live, however only just noticed this thread so thought I'd pop in and say Hello everyone! My name is Tom, I am not a scientist but am an avid fan of the natural world both here on Earth and out there on Mars and the surrounding cosmos!.
    I am absolutely loving this, thought I'd be spending hours at a time glaring a desert rock after desert rock, but is nothing like that at all! The rare images are the ones with nothing by desert rocks, since every other image has some more incredible, more fascinating and more unique than the last, its making it so hard to give up as you never know what your find in the next image. Will it be a massive blue fan? An amazing mountainous landscape? an alien picnic? Who knows?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH

hello all, Paying my last respects to Sir Patrick by dibbing into Mars. Normally 'sailing the oceans' to rescue climate data from 1845 onwards via OldWeather = another truly fascinating Zooniverse project.

Posted

• cordeliaseale by cordeliaseale

hi my names cordelia i am from england and i love science i want to be a scientists when i am older thats why i am taking part in this.i am age ten my dad is checking my observation.xx

Posted

• mheretakih by mheretakih

Hello, everyone! My name is Maggie and I am currently under the gloomy skies of the pacific northwest. Thought I would put my remote sensing experience to good use but obviously mars is a touch different than looking at earth. I already have tons of questions about the classifications of the images I have done so far.

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

My name is Thomas Zolotor and I been studying Mars on NASA's site Be a Martian....this site one can study Mars too from images,

Posted

• DocM1 by DocM1

Hi there! New to this interesting project. I have marked some interesting features. How do I post them?
    docM1 here.

Posted

Just a quick note to say hello say thanks for all your help. We're all pumped by the response to the project and the data coming in. Thanks for all the clicks and keep them coming!
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• jules by jules in response to DocM1's comment.

If you click on Discuss after you have finished classifying an image you get the option of starting a discussion on one of the boards here. Pick your board and click "Create a new post." The image will be attached to your post.
    Hopefully! 😃

Posted

• Mcrompto by Mcrompto

Hi everyone, I'm a mummy, wife, amateur baker, i love my dog, I love running and for work i'm a pr lady. i'm a novice astronomer. I find it very exciting and interesting. I don't know much astronomy but I'm keen to learn. Hallo one & all - Mandy x

Posted

• jonzot by jonzot

Hiya, Mcrompto!

And hello everyone else. Also a bit of a novice in this astronomy lark but saw the images of Mars on Stargazing Live the other night and was very intrigued. How do I get people talking about the images I've been looking at if I have any questions?! Have so far seen what I think look like ridges / canyons, ice deposits, old vent holes and am full of questions as to what they all are! Was very curious at what I thought looked like a line of vent holes, wondered if that meant anything in particular (but I hear there's no plate tectonics on Mars? really? could there be? not even a lil bit?) 😃

Posted

• Jo_Public by Jo_Public

Hi everyone, my name is Jo, I'm a stand up comedian in UK but have an interest in Astronomy and got my first telescope at the begining of last year although I haven't had as much time to use it as I'd like. Anyway, I have just started classifying and my first picture has no real fans or blobs but is literaly covered in white spots that look sort of like ice dotted around. Do you think this is classed as an interesting object? - I've selected a couple of areas but the tool won't let me select the whole area. Do you think I should keep selecting different areas of this "ice" or do you think a couple will do? Sorry if this is daft questions but I don't want to do it wrong 😃 Cheers, Jo.

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

if it's not fan nor blotch, just one interesting object marker will do, then we will have a look at it. You could also go to the discuss page for it and mark it with a descriptive #hashtag, for example #dotted_ice. Okay?

Posted

• christinemb by christinemb

saw the programme and decided to join in ( still doing planet hunting from stargazing live last year.... ) I am a bit lost round this part of zooneverse and not sure how to post comments to pictures? Seen some odd features which may be perfectly normal on mars, how do I make notes?

Posted

• juliejo by juliejo

Hello! I live in Utah, USA. I've worked on Galaxy Zoo, The Andromeda Project and currently the Moon Zoo. This popped up on the Zooniverse home page so I decided to join. I'm not a scientist in real life, but love playing one on the Internet!

Posted

• salzaid by salzaid

Hi, I'm a medical resident who just though the project was interesting. please forgive my ignorance as although I'm not new to astronomy, I pretty much a chronic novice 😃

Posted

• Pozzouk_ by Pozzouk_

Hi Guys, greetings from the soggy South East of the Uk - Not sure about Mars but plenty of H2O falling outa the sky here in Hampshire! Looking forward to contributing our own little bit towards such a great project.

ATB Pozzouk.

Posted

• MoonWillow by MoonWillow

Hi all, I'm Jo: a bored housewife looking for an exciting journey to go on from my living room sofa. This looked like a pretty good place to start. I've always wanted to visit another planet. This way I can and not even go outside!

Posted

• Starry-Eyed by Starry-Eyed

Hello everyone 😃
    Long time star, constellation & planet admirer here from Scotland, would very much like to take my passion into a professional capacity someday, but quite content at the moment looking skyward for most of the night.
    Very interested in this particular project as featured on Stargazing LIVE as Mars is one of the most interesting planets - the fact the DNA found on Mars contains the same protein etc as ours is fascinating & worth looking into more.
    Glad to see so many like minded explorers, students & scientists here too!
    I am currently exploring & marking the fans & blotches from the pictures of Mars, the skies are not quite clear enough here to be stargazing tonight.

Posted

• DuskLunar by DuskLunar

Hello everyone! My name is O, I live in London, England. I am 10, so don't have a job, but harbour a deep desire to be an astro-geologist.

Posted

hello

Posted

• John_Harding by John_Harding

Hello to everyone around the world.

My name is John Harding from Stourbridge UK please google my name, johnharding/honeybees.

My reason for being on here may be slightly different from normal. My interest is the electromagnetic field, if it turns it must have one.

All life on earth, every organism is atracted to or repelled from the electromagnetic varying field.
    Whatever it is nothing can survive without it. NASA use it in all space flights and Skylab.

The reason;

I have found the answer to stop honeybees dying worldwide. Honeybees need and use the EMF to survive and source food for their delicate micro-climate.

All species use EMF to migrate.

Unfortunately the chemical industry has an alleged stranglehold when natural answers are put forward to science with them being biased to a chemical, bacterial or fungi due to chemical funding..............

Why should any other planet be different in having a life form, yes I agree water is one key component however it must have EMF as well.

Not that I will find it on these photos but nature does use specific design within its make-up, who knows somebody might get lucky.

Enjoy

Kind regards

John

Posted

hi

Posted

• GeorgeMScotland by GeorgeMScotland

Hi everyone, I'm George, I'm a Scottish high school student from a large new town called East Kilbride (its about 8 miles outside of Glasgow City) hoping to gain a place at Glasgow University within the next year or two to study either Astrophysics and Cosmology or Applied Physics with Astrophysics! Really enjoying this website and I think its a great idea to get the public involved in experimentation such as this! Since I was just a wee boy I can remember looking up at the sky at my caravan (which is near the Galloway Forestry park in Scotland, a designated dark sky observation area as it has some of the clearest and best views of observable space on earth!) and being fascinated by what I was seeing! Hence my love of space! In my spare time I enjoy Skiing, socializing with friends and watching television!

Keep up the good work everyone!

George

Posted

• GeorgeMScotland by GeorgeMScotland in response to Starry-Eyed's comment.

I'm just wondering where in Scotland you live, I also live in Scotland, East Kilbride to be exact 😃 I sometimes go with my friend down to the Galloway Forestry park on a clear night to do some stargazing:)

Posted

• ukcoxy by ukcoxy

Hi I am with my son Alexander you cannot get better inspiration to explore mars -super stuff

Posted

• jackiekins by jackiekins

Hello everyone,

At present, I cannot find the bit which gives you your own area...can anyone help?

Posted

• Muse2k8 by Muse2k8

Greetings all! My name is Ryan.

I'm a Physicist from Edinburgh, looking to move into Particle Theory or Astrophysics in the next year or so (yay more school!) and I am currently studying Biology (I am an amateur Entomologist).

Looking forward to taking part!

Posted

• Muse2k8 by Muse2k8 in response to jackiekins's comment.

Click or "Classify" or "Return to Classifying" at the top left of the page.

Posted

• verne_uk by verne_uk

hi everyone Julie here from Newcastle, feels great to be part of this, enjoy 😃

Posted

• barriemac by barriemac

Hi all, from a new fresher, Although the first time as such was at Bristol nearly 60 years ago.

The tutorial photo test works well but raised one query about the presence of at least three small pairs of identical features in close proximity over the screen as though the photo had been touched up to cover up anomalies which were a result of technical glitches.
    Is this likely to run through the images to follow? That is fine as long as I know.
    Looking forward to helping out

Barrie (in Wales)

Posted

• Heather_Exeter by Heather_Exeter

Hi all.

I am an artist in South West England and usually more used to teasing historical and archaeological information out of landscape satellite images and maps. However, visiting Mars has been a refreshing change! I am still hoping to spot one of the Clangers though, giggle (Clangers are UK 1970's childrens TV series, little pink creatures like mice who live in space)

Heather

Posted

• Milkywaystars by Milkywaystars

How do you post pictures of stuff you explored on Mars!

Posted

• Milkywaystars by Milkywaystars

PLEASE look at my discussion because no one has yet. I am Milkywaystars and I have only just started learning about stargazing and astronomy!

Posted

• gsusan38 by gsusan38

Hello every one,
    I am 67yrs and so amazed at the mars images, I am thoroughly enjoying helping marking the images.
    I am an artist.

Posted

• Marc_rosson by Marc_rosson

Hi, I am Marc from East Yorkshire. My hobby is Astronomy and I also have an interest in Physics.

Hello everyone! 😃

Posted

• arfon by arfon in response to barriemac's comment.

Hi Barrie

It's been mentioned elsewhere but the tutorial image is a combination of two images so yes, there is a repeating pattern. We couldn't find a simple image (with just one fan) and a blotch.

I can assure you that this is the only image that's been 'modified'.

Cheers and I hope you enjoy Planet Four.

Arfon

Posted

• RealDigitalAL by RealDigitalAL

Hi all

I am from Essex UK and have always looked at space as most important race that humans must never loose ..
    I hope we can help to move on the landing of humans onto mars by giving items to look as landing places and places were it will be of use to help get the best idea to what really went on with mars in it's past and see if humans can use mars as a stepping stone to get out there.....?

Posted

• 36panache by 36panache

I keep losing my favourites, any body help?

Posted

• muttleypr by muttleypr

hi everyone, paul

Posted

• chairstar by chairstar

Hello everybody!

Just your average Citizen Scientist here, with a passion for everything astronomy/astrophysics.
    I've enjiyed almost all of the projects on Galaxyzoo, and want to start gettiing busy with this Mars project.

Happy analyizing!

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to zookeeper's comment.

Hello Chris and all,
    My name is Chuck. I've had a 60 year love affair with science and especially Astronomy. I've been snooping around NASA and JPL/Curiousity sites looking for some way to contribute to the mapping/imaging effort. Their "Be a Martian" program seems a little too 'kid'-oriented, (I certainly could understand their desire to involve our children!) so here I be!
    As a recently retired construction engineer form the Chicago area, where I spent a lot of time operating the cranes used in high-rise office and residental construction projects, I welcome the opportunity to get familiar with "Hi-rise" of a different sort!....Hell, I'd even do it full-time for even minimal compensation, if such a civilian program were available! 😉 Let the adventure begin!

Posted

• Itsdvina by Itsdvina

hello guys, my names Davina..... i have always been interested in our universe and have always dreamed of exploring other planets and possibly finding other life, and yes, just like our late sir patrick moore, i believe there is life on other planets 😉, for sure! and really don'nt believe proof is needed to believe such things lol, blunt, but true.... i always dreamed about traveling the stars 😃, and even if this is the closest i may ever get, i believe i can now die a very happy lady! 😃.... and it is an honour to share this experience with such an intelligent group of people... i hope you all are enjoying this experience as much as i am 😃, vina x

Posted

• gwennie71 by gwennie71

can't find my post of well I'm Gwen if any one finds me here let me know

Posted

• starman1969 by starman1969

My name is Steve. I'm very interested in all things astro, so I'm here to see if I can find anything interesting.

Posted

• starman1969 by starman1969 in response to gwennie71's comment.

Hello Gwen.

Posted

• starman1969 by starman1969 in response to GeorgeMScotland's comment.

That is a great site to visit.

Posted

• starman1969 by starman1969 in response to MoonWillow's comment.

Great. And you could possibly end up with a region, or feature names after you. All from the comfort of your own home. Here's hoping.

Posted

• starman1969 by starman1969 in response to MoonSquirrel's comment.

Yes. I'm looking for Martians, too. Or maybe signs of an ancient civilization. Probably.

Posted

• conon by conon

Hi Everyone

I am Conon 😃 I am a computer programmer / systems integration specialist by trade. I wish I were an astrophysist / scientist but like Halley's Comet this particular trail is long gone. However, keen astronomer with a love for all things at the end of any focal length pointing into space. Happy to help as i find it fascinating that we can ‘google map’ something that is 34 million miles away – stunning.

Posted

• Markconx by Markconx

I had given up looking for the meaning of life until I saw the night sky in Chile a few years ago in all its pristine glory, not an artificial light to be seen except on a 747 and reflected sunlight from a man made satellite; but their intrusion was short. I do not know if it was an optical illusion but the night sky really looked colourful to me. Is it? or was I hallucinating? Anyhow, here I am doing my bit to find answers 😃 I think it was a good idea of God's, to invent science!

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee in response to Markconx's comment.

Apparently Chile has the best night sky in the world, so no, you wern`t hallucinating 😃........ps so so jealous 😃

Posted

• rdferst by rdferst

Greetings Friends.

I am a retired IT person living in Oregon, USA. This is my 7th Zooniverse project to be working and good luck to all of you on this great Mars adventure. We are making a difference.

Posted

• AlbionStarDestroyer by AlbionStarDestroyer

Hello everyone!

I am a support manager/rolling stock engineer at tube lines ltd. London! I have had past experience looking at light data for the planet transit project and I have found out that I can do the same thing again and again and again without getting bored! This Mars project is so much more interesting though.

Posted

• ajhilton7 by ajhilton7

Hi all! My names Adam, I'm a journalist and this is bloody amazing!

Much love!

Posted

• trebor82 by trebor82

Hiya everyone. My name is Robert from North London. I am studying physics,

Posted

• miles_hodgkiss by miles_hodgkiss

The picture I am currently looking at is different to other pictures. At a casual glance it looks like blotches in a sea of white wrinkles, but looking a little closer it is more like - the sea of white wrinkles has a few areas where the white is missing rather than the white having been coated by blotch. Almost as if the white is frost and the blotches are places where 'the frost' has 'melted' ????

Posted

• Dave59 by Dave59 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi mschwamb,s could you let me no if am collecting how i should thank you and am having a great time looking at Mars.

Posted

• Dave59 by Dave59 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hello am Diane from the UK

Posted

• Myf1980 by Myf1980

Hi I'm Myf... Finding my feet and loving nerding out!

Posted

• mariafe by mariafe

Hi i'm Maria - i didn't realise the night sky was so facinating until i watched star gazing. I'm not smart enough to be a scientist or explorer - so this way I can !

Posted

• protheric by protheric

Ivan Urwin
    Software Engineer
    Manchester UK

Posted

• yerodretep by yerodretep

Hello everyone, a Project Manager with a Physics degree from Manchester University 1980, like to vist my local Jodrell Bank (ever since our 1st day at Uni back in 1976). Met one of my previous lecturers Dr.Ian Morrison at a talk on telescope last year. Also a practicing Buddhist, yes the 2 do fit together, well in my illusory mind anyway LOL! Twitter of follow me @AstroPeterDorey if you so wish. Keep on classifying everyone!

Posted

• ABrianCox by ABrianCox

Hi - I am a retired and therefore have time to stroll across the Mars surface! Some amazing pictures and so varied. Are there project stages in this classifying process - i.e. is this phase n of several phases ? And what feed back, if any, do we get?
    Good to "meet" you

Brian

Posted

• Petnickety by Petnickety

Hello all,

Finally got round to joining in after watching Stargazing Live. I find this very interesting.
    Need help with fans as sometimes it looks as if the fan has stopped, leaving residue on the surface. Sometimes there seems to be evidence of fans with no definite source.

John

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to ABrianCox's comment.

Welcome and thanks for being a part of Planet Four. We don't know where all the fans and blotches are, that's why we asking for your help. So that makes it difficult to give feedback. What we can do is help give examples , and we have an FAQ page. We will keep everyone updated on the progress of the project on the blog, and the science team is also perusing the Talk discussions and posts.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• the_curiosity_rover by the_curiosity_rover

I am a little 12 year old girl who wants to be an astro-physist but I tell none of my friends because i told one and they just think i'm weird . i love this site and i love the feeling of helping sientists dicover about mars. please help me on my disscusion about the theory of dark matter. i think this site will help me follow my dream. thanks to the guys at greewich planterium for introducing me to this site.

Posted

• eagiles by eagiles

hi i'm ed i love science, can't spell or know gramma and i say what i see, i also love a debate (argument) on any subject. these images get you thinking, and i like that
    cheers ed

Posted

• beuleal by beuleal

Hey, I'm an computer enginner and all moments im searching for intersting thing in the universe. I know that the answer for our question will come too late, but i really want to be a part of this and help everyone in this jouney.

Brenno - Brazil

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar in response to 36panache's comment.

To find your favourites/recent piccies goto "profile" on the main page:

http://planetfour.org/#/profile/favorites

Posted

• bitterapple by bitterapple

hello im mark from the west midlands as an ex navigator i had a strong link with the stars and out at sea you can see so many more due to no light pollution but this take it to the next level and to be able to help science is an added bonus keep up the good work

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hello, i'm Pete,and live on a small island in the English Channel. We normally have great light pollution free night skies., but with the last year's never ending cloud cover, it's great to do some exploring of Mars. Keep up the good work Zooniverse.

Posted

• vincentfink by vincentfink

Hello! I'm an artist/musician from Houston, Texas and I'm big into science! Such a pleasure to be working with you on this mission. 😉
    enter image description here

Posted

• mcemce by mcemce

Hello, I'm Catherine. I'm a retired systems analyst living in London. I got interested in this Mars mapping project after watching the BBC Stargazing Live programme. I think I've spent 4 hours now marking fans and blotches. The thing I would like to keep me motivated to kepp doing this for weeks is some general feedback on how us volunteers are doing. I'm not talking about individual feedback, that would be too onerous on the project. However it would be useful to know whether we are generally marking the right things on the pictures for you.
    I'd also be interested to know how this is organised from a data perspective. For example if 4 people mark that there is a fan in the same position on same photograph does your system mark that spot as 'very likely' to be a fan.

Posted

• HalNFla by HalNFla

Hi to all...retired and living in Florida, USA. Just started working on Mars, this and the rest of Zoo is neat !! Would love more feedback to my selections, to see that what I'm doing is reasonable. I'd love more external control , in the Mars work, over the fan and blob...mouse control just isn't accurate enough. Perhaps if I could use the arrows to bump the shape, bit by bit

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to mcemce's comment.

Thanks for your help. We're working on analyzing the classifications, so hopefully we'll be able to say something in the next few weeks and months. We try to use to the blog to keep everyone updated on our progress, you can find it here. Also the team checks in on Talk, so that's where you can hear from the team as well. One thing we'd like is for people to mark some interesting features both in the interface and using Talk. You can find more about that from this blog post.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• gwyneth walker by gwyneth walker

hi do not know how to contact you but I sign in but keep getting message that you are out why I do not try at the same time

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to gwyneth walker's comment.

Are you saying you are not seeing images?
    ~Meg

Posted

• gwyneth walker by gwyneth walker in response to mschwamb's comment.

yes I am just getting the main start picture The screen allows me to click on finish then I get next come up I click on that but no pictures appear thanks for responding

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to gwyneth walker's comment.

hiya, I checked the copy of the Planet Four classification data I have and you've looked almost all the images we have loaded. So that's why you're getting that error. We still need classifications for the data we have it, but you've already the majority of them, so that's why other people can see images. Thanks so much for your help. I think we're planning to put some data in soon. In the meantime feel to ask questions and chat on Talk. I'm sure we'll send an email newsletter when new data gets loaded. Cheers, ~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Everybody. Don't know why it's taken me so long to get here, but I'm glad I got here in the end and I've just finished reading the discussion (yes, all 18 pages!). It's an incredibly diverse and interesting community to be sure. Good to meet y'all.

I'm in Todmorden, West Yorkshire, up in't th'ills tha knows. Early retired and loving it. My degree is in Environment Science, I've worked in astronomy education and still do some voluntary work in that area, but I'm mainly a musician.

I'm aware that, at the moment, myself and a few others are dominating the discussions here (guess that makes us the chatter boxes) so I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage you to join in with anything that takes your fancy, or better still start your own. The more the merrier I say. It might even make me shut up for a few minutes. 😃

Posted

• belane by belane

A retired geologist with a life-long interest in Mars, as well as anything else related to exploring the Universe. For several decades I have been collecting " stuff " about ASTROBLEMES on Earth and throughout the Solar System, so this Planet FOUR Project got my attention. I am ready to go on a " Million Year Picnic."

Posted

Thank goodness for that. Somebody with some sense at last. Hi belane !!

You're gonna be really useful round here if you can put up with the insanity of staying here too long. Hope to see you spreading your wisdom in the discussions - I'm still doing jokes. 😉 Cheers. Kith

(Hey guys, Astroblemes. I don't know either, perhaps he'll post something. Come on now, back to your blobs and fans...)

Posted

• lonelystar by lonelystar

Hi everyone,

I'm a Physics teacher in Lancashire and a student of Kitharode. I would second his comment about joining in on the discussions. I have stuck my toe in and the waters are warm- if slightly muddy!

Have fun 😃

Posted

• DrTechnical by DrTechnical

Hey there

I'm a "retired" ICT teacher in Lancashire, currently renovating an education centre that will hopefully be used in the teaching of astronomy (or if not, I finally get that big workshop I always wanted). Someday I'll get around to completing my GCSE Astronomy (inside joke for Kith), but more than happy to be outside looking at the sky and taking a few photographs in the meantime.

Posted

• troyw by troyw

Hello, I'm an audio engineer that has been fascinated with planet hunting and the Kepler mission since it's launch. Since then, I have been developing AKO, which turns the data from the Kepler telescope into an image based on a couple of variables. The other planet hunters I've met on planethunters.org are a great bunvh of people and I look forward to doing a lot more hunting with them in the years to come, with all the exoplanet data from various missions coming in a few years time.

Happy hunting!

Posted

• esme by esme

Hi!. I'm Esme, I dreamed of being an astrophysicist and exploring Mars and near-solar space since childhood, but life didn't pan out that way, unfortunately. I participated in Zooniverse a bit early on, but am feeling a bit lost here at the moment. What does one do if there are no fans or blotches visible, simply ignore it? First image shown me after tuition just now showed some fascinating terrain that looked like lots of low snow-covered ridges in random orientations, but nary a blotch to be seen. I haven't been able to locate a FAQ, have I managed to miss the flipping obvious somewhere?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to esme's comment.

Hi There. Thanks for pointing out the FAQ ommision. I'll see about getting it put in there. Yes, if there's nothing to mark then just Finish and go Next image. If there's something fascinates you, with or without fans and blobs, do please Discuss it with us.

Nice to see you here. Enjoy.

Posted

• joshfrostt by joshfrostt

hi, im travis. im a student at rcshs in kentucky

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to joshfrostt's comment.

Hi Josh welcome aboard, enjoy and don't be afraid to ask questions

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi everyone , I am from Brisbane Australia I love science but have no qualifications but if I can help I am more than willing

Posted

• Catgirl247 by Catgirl247

Hello everyone. I'm an aerospace engineer by profession but have been fascinated by the night sky since I was a small child. Love Zooniverse as it gives me a chance to participate in something that could further our understanding of this 'lil patch of the universe we call home. Aside from mapping blotches and fans, I bake really good brownies and chocolate fudge cake 😃

Posted

• eugenius by eugenius

Hi I'm gene, a retired astronomy prof. This is a fun project, but quite challenging, not so much for identifying potential CO2 blow outs as what the phenomena we are seeing really are. I'm guessing in most cases we are looking at subtle sublimation effects from various surfaces and maybe dust of contrasting colors blowing from different directions. What do you all think?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to eugenius's comment.

Welcome to Planet Four. The dust is pretty much the color of the ground. The reason the fans show up dark is because there is a slab of semitranslucent carbon dioxide ice between the fans and the surface. You can read more about how we think the fans and blotches form here and here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Taras by Taras

Hello everyone!

I am an amateur at this field which is pretty interesting and exiting, special if the talk is about the Mars(so close and yet unused [I guess Moon will be the first one], however partially studied and explored). I have previously participated at GalaxyZoo and Planet Hunters, that experience was simply amazing and I would like to say: Thanks for giving all this opportunities to collaborate.
    Sky and Space were part of my horizon since childhood when I saw the passage of Hale-Bopp comet, from Ukraine(my homeland) and later I had a chance to contemplate something similar during C/2006 P1(Comet McNaught) fly-by, this time from Argentina.
    Beside everything else I like the Electronics and Industrial Automation(both are my college specializations) and I also had studied architecture degree for few years.
    My hobbies are: photography and drawing.

Cheers and keep up.

Taras Mykytyuk

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi everyone I am an Australian Jack of all trades master of none but get a high from anything to do with astronomy, also love particle physics but most is over my head . Ian shocko61

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014 in response to shocko61's comment.

Hi Ian ... I think we graduated from the same school "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" (plus my 'head' is getting lower each year - so more & more goes right over ...). BUT it's certainly interesting and challenging - what more can we ask for? 😃 ~~Elizabeth (in New Mexico)

Posted

• barmet76 by barmet76

Hi all, I live in Normandy (France). I'm just a 48 years old science lover and Zooniverse projects gives me the opportunity to help scientists so i try to do my best.
    Eric

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon

Hi everyone. I'm Derek from England. I'm an amateur photographer.
    A few wrong turns early in my life meant I didn't follow my dreams and become a scientist, but I've never lost my love of all things scientific. Anyway I'm now a 50-something obsessive-compulsive geek and am enjoying the opportunity to at least contribute to science projects via zooniverse - just nervous about not annoying any real scientists by doing it wrong.
    I am particularly interested in Mars - not sure why but the planet absolutely fascinates me.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to raedwulf's comment.

Welcome and don't worry unduly about annoying anyone. The scientists running the shop are all very patient with us, and the moderators job is to field questions that dont need passing on. And we can do this because we've already asked a lot of 'stupid questions' 😃

Have and dont be afrad to ask

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to raedwulf's comment.

Hi Derek. Welcome to you from a 60-something manic-depressive geek who also loves amateur science. Annoying real scientists is my job, so you've no worries there **. 😉 **

Wassock's absolutely right; the science team here are great. They don't bark and they don't bite. So relax, enjoy, and jump in whenever you like. Cheers.

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon in response to wassock's comment.

Thanks for the reply, I feel reassured and very welcome here.

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon in response to Kitharode's comment.

Thank you. I already feel much more relaxed. It's a great feeling to be part of this fascinating project.

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to raedwulf's comment.

Hi Derek. You'll find plenty of obsessive-compulsive geeks here, myself included! 😉 Twelve months ago I was a nervous 'newbie' too, but I've found everyone very welcoming and encouraging, and can't live without P4 now. So enjoy exploring and don't be afraid to pitch in.

Posted

• neethu_thomas_devagiri by neethu_thomas_devagiri

Hiii,i am a physics student,i have a doubt,'what is that bulged part in the southern pole of mars which i marked as "interesting figure"?'

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi there we cant see which bit you marked, only the science sees that, can you repost and indicate what you are looking at?

Posted

hello.......,my name is neethu and im a post graduate student.............., doing this project as a part of my studies....,so i am another one of those people,who needs your help!images of this site available is continuous...,then,to complete this as a good project,how many images should be taken into consider for classifications?

Posted

Hi there, welcome aboard, so far something like 4.3 million images have been classified here. Whilst it may seem that there is a never ending supply of images they are finite. There are 4 seperate years of observations involved and the same areas from each year get looked at to enable a comparison to be made. I think that each image gets looked at a couple dozen times, with 'average' values being used to analyse the data, once an image's quota is up it gets taken out of the roster, and the system ensures that noone sees the same one twice.

Posted

Hiiiii,in some of the images available in this site,i used 'interesting feature'tool for marking spiders and channels...,is there any problem?

Posted

• neethu_thomas_devagiri by neethu_thomas_devagiri in response to wassock's comment.

sorry...,it's my mistake.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to neethu thomas devagiri's comment.

Hi, no that shouldn't break anything. "Interesting" is not strictly part of the project, just a way of being able to flag things off the track of the main project

Posted

• neethu_thomas_devagiri by neethu_thomas_devagiri in response to wassock's comment.

thank you for your valuable comments...,how can i make this as an excellent project...?,after classifying these images,what else can i do as a part of project?

Posted

Classify the images is the project. But there's no reason not to speculate on what you see in the images - How are the fans and spiders formed for starters.

Posted

Then..........,we have to find the reasons for identification of fans & blotches....,isn't it??

Posted

The basic thoery on formation can be found here and here. The point of the project is to plot size, position and direction of the fans and the use the data to get an idea of how much material is being moved around and which way the wind blows.
    When you've marked a number of images, chances are some other aspect will grab your attention and spur you to look in more detail. Have a look through the other discussion boards to see whzt others have grabbed onto.

Posted

Thank you......,what is the 'scale factor' used in these images?each pixel corresponds to how much kilometers? Is there any method to find the direction of the fan for finding the wind direction?

Posted

In most images a pixel is around 50 cm. Have you had a look at the faq here? http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000005/discussions/DPF0000cfp

As far as wind direction its fairly simple, the pointy end of the fan is where the wind is coming from

Posted

But.........,I want to calculate in which angle the fans are directed..,is there any solution to measure angles of fans and positions of the deposits in these images?is there any longitude & latitude measurements for these surface images available in this site ?

Posted

Are these images aligned in any direction (north-south/east-west)?

Posted

When you finish classifying an image click the link to discuss the image. You'll get the text box to enter comments and a thumbnail of the image, below that theres a link to the hirise site where you'll find all sorts of info on the image including lat and long ascwell ss which way is up

Posted

• AstronomicalNoob by AstronomicalNoob

Hi glad there are lots of Interesting features here. ^^

Posted

• loris76 by loris76

hi all! i'm happy to be here to help and to understand more about Mars and the space

Posted

• loris76 by loris76

I've forgotten to say that actually I'm an italian database administrator (Oracle) but I think that nothing is more
    exciting than the sky above us...
    my dream is a space flight: I hope that in 15-20 years it will be not really expensive!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to loris76's comment.

Welcome to Planet Four. There is lots of exciting stuff on these discussion pages for you to join in with. Good hunting. 😃

Posted

Hi all, Summers over, or rather schools are back so I will be here a lot more often from now on. Normal service is resumed as they say

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to wassock's comment.

Welcome back Wassock. Hope you had a good 'season' (I'm sure you'll still be getting customers for a while yet though 😉 ) Isn't it odd how the weather is always scorching when kids are doing their exams etc, then as soon as they break up for the holidays the weather goes downhill (until the minute they go back to school, then it perks up again). There should be a scientific theory to explain it!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Welcome back.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

welcome back Wassock. I can't resist adding that I presume you can now return with 'serious in-tent'.(I apologise for all P4 campers in advance)---Don't be tempted Kith, I'm sure you have a much better pun just itching to get out!!~Pete

Posted

Yes Pete. I do have something that's itching, but my doctor says the pills should sort it in a few days !!

Welcome back wassock. 😃

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to p.titchin's comment.

Pete and Kitharode - Groan - you're both on form ;-P Perhaps we should canvas some opinions about Wassock's theories and pitch them to the Scientists. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Wassock - Caravan holidays on Mars - now there's an idea 😉

Posted

• KYX by KYX

hello dudes / dudettes

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to KYX's comment.

And a warm hello to you too KYX. Great to see you joining in already with your up and down quark comment. A 'strange' way to begin, but just the sort of thing we enjoy round here. 😉

Posted

• TKK by TKK

Hi all, I'm Tania from Australia and have just stumbled across this amazing site! Unfortunately I'm having some problems with my iPad not moving to the next picture when i click finish. Are there known issues with iPads please?

I'm really looking forward to participating, even though I'm late entering the game so to speak. Fingers crossed I get this issue sorted soon.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to TKK's comment.

Hi Tania,

Welcome to Planet Four. When you click 'Finished' Have you clicked the 'next' button? A new image won't load until next is hit. I've tried on my ipad and the site seems to be working and loading images. I currently live in Taiwan and it takes a good second or two after hitting 'next' to get an image to load. If you're still having problems do let us know and I'll see if the development team can take a look.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to TKK's comment.

Welcome from me as well Tania. Where in Australia? L spent a couple of years there. This is the most amazing site that you have found, and if you persist with it, you will begin to feel you are really doing useful work. Us 'natives' on the discussion boards are also really friendly, so never be worried about putting on a message, or question. Good to have you 'on board'.~ Pete

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Hi!

I am a former postgraduate (Astrophysics) from the University of Sheffield where I was also part of research team studying Halley's Comet. That was some time ago. At present, I work in Further Education. Astronomy has always been a big interest and I hope that I can help with this amazing project.

Posted

Hi Pete, welcome aboard. Gues you're watching Rosetta with interest!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello @pete-j! Those are some excellent bonafides; I'm sure you'll be a huge help to the project!

Hope to see you around Planet Four Talk, and maybe some of our other Zooniverse astronomy projects, too!

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Hi Pete ,from another Pete, albeit an amateur, welcome aboard. 😉 ~Pete

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to last the course with a small but steady stream of work (bit by bit).

Yes, the Rosetta is of great interest; I was a first-year physics student when the Giotto probe flew within ~600km of Halley's comet. How things have progressed and we are now swamped with information/ data. One of the experts in this field was Prof. David W. Hughes. I was later honoured to be one of his students, although I did not start the Ph.D. properly as events outside academia prevented this, my mother passed away before (cancer). Still, amazing times.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

When Halley's Comet last came, I was still a year and a half away from debuting on the world stage!

It's one of my life goals to make it to 2061 so that I can see the darned thing for myself. 😃 Rather like Mark Twain, I should think!

Posted

• nickdwyer53 by nickdwyer53

Hello. I am a hobbyist who came here via Galaxy Zoo. I am honoured that as a human my pattern recognition skill can be invested in crowd-sourced science. And so to work...

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to nickdwyer53's comment.

Welcome aboard from a fellow traveller! I've been on the site for two years, and find it a fascinating journey. you will find many friends if you join in on the discussion boards. Do not be worried about punting your ideas, we all enjoy the discussions. 😃 ~Pete

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5 in response to nickdwyer53's comment.

welcome nick! i've been here a short time and this is my fav zoo project..., very informative and responsive team here. best wishes, mars is very interesting

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

Nice to hear that. 😃

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to nickdwyer53's comment.

Welcome to Planet Four.

Cheers ,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @nickdwyer53 ! Yes, your pattern recognition skill is vital! 😃 Really glad to hear you're expanding to a new project; welcome to Planet Four!

Posted

• Jellogum by Jellogum

Hi, My name is Jeremy. I am working to meld games with open source projects and education. For example, I am developing some software called GISZoo and GISCell, which in time will dovetail some features of Zooniverse with my project. I am here to explore how to infuse various Zooniverse projects into my game. I am also trying to convince Star Citizen developers that aspects of their game should include Zooniverse projects to enhance in-game play while helping to promote the goals of Zooniverse projects.

Can someone offer a contact that I can use to discuss if it is possible to meld software between my project and Zooniverse?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Jellogum's comment.

Hi,

You'd want to talk to the Zooniverse development team. Probably the best is to try by emailing team@zooniverse.org

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Jeremy, shoot me an email at darren@zooniverse.org -- thanks!

Posted

• Hahcooshuhushdunah by Hahcooshuhushdunah

Hi, I am also a new transplant from Galaxy Zoo. I've been exploring images from the 'Mars Global Surveyor Mars Orbiter Camera Image Gallery' on my own, off and on, for a very long time. I am curious to see what you offer my eyes and mind in this method of exploration using the HiRISE camera.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to Hahcooshuhushdunah's comment.

Hi There. Welcome to Mars. Hope to see you on the discussion boards sometime. There are almost as many mysteries here as there are images. Good hunting. 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Hahcooshuhushdunah's comment.

Welcome to the project, @Hahcooshuhushdunah -- thanks for joining us! Hope to see you around here on Talk often.

Good luck exploring the Planet Four data! 😃

Posted

• PaulHere by PaulHere

Hello all, my name is Paul and I work in retail. I enjoy learning all the science I can and I'm loving these citizen science projects.

Paul
    Milton Keynes, UK

Posted

Hi Paul. Welcome to Mars. It's great to see you here and I'm glad you're enjoying being a citizen scientist. Like all the volunteers here your work is vital to the success of the project, so we hope you'll be a regular visitor here.

The discussion boards are a great way to learn science and your questions and ideas are most welcome. Cheers.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey @PaulHere -- welcome to Zooniverse! Glad you love our citizen science! Hope to see you a whole bunch around here and around our many other projects, too!

Posted

• AndrewJTalon by AndrewJTalon

Andrew here! I'm an educator at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science in the space section! Love this site, and love to help out! Wouldn't mind getting paid for it, but who wouldn't?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to AndrewJTalon's comment.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Planet Four. You might also be interested in the new Zooniverse wide education Talk discussion board.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• MarionNegus by MarionNegus

Hi, I'm Marion. I'm in the UK and loving Zooniverse and the opportunity it gives to get up close to science, particularly astrological projects. It's amazing how much work is being done on Mars and exciting to imagine where it will lead us. Recently I noticed a similarity between the fan shapes on Mars and fan shapes here on Earth which appeared after a powerful earthquake. I thought it was very interesting. Hopefully there's plenty more strange things to find!

Posted

• rtjim by rtjim

Hi, I'm James, i live in the UK and have always wanted to travel to Mars since i was a kid. I'm an Amateur Astronomer and love viewing and contributing towards these projects when i can find time.

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Hi James and welcome. I'm Bill along the California coast. P4 and P4(Terrains) are 2 of my favorite projects. Hope you enjoy the project and the amazing images.

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014

Hello James, Bill and everyone - I'm in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's always great to hear from people interested in astronomy. The HiRISE images really are amazing (& so is Mars!). What a golden opportunity to learn & explore. All the best. ~Elizabeth

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Hi Elizabeth and welcome.

Posted

Hiya,

A warm welcome to all from the Planet Four team.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• philmy by philmy

Hi everyone! My name is Marie, I am student from Florida. As I am learning more about astronomy, I find it extremely interesting.

Marie

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to philmy's comment.

Welcome Marie. You might find the project blog an interesting read.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Gruffalow by Gruffalow

Hello!

Jason here. Some call me Jasian as I am an asian Jason.
    Born and raised in California, USA.

I recently stumbled across Zooniverse and am now super excited to help with research about Mars!

Posted

• amyenko by amyenko

Hello, I am an astronomy student eager to learn more!

Posted

Hello @amyenko

Welcome to Planet Four. Check out the Help board where you'll find lots of useful info. Feel free to ask any and all questions you have and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you. Good luck.

Posted

• royroper by royroper

Hello there,
    I'm a researcher at NASA Langley Research Center working with various flight tests and flight simulation experiments helping to improve the National Airspace System.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to royroper's comment.

Welcome to Planet Four

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• BCJones by BCJones

Don't lose your dream, Laura. It has been a long time since I have been on this site, so I am relearning a lot. Many of the objects I am circling as blotches might be just terrain shadow faces, but the reddish/rust color prompted me to mark them.
    I seem to have a magical telescope. I keep dragging this 11" wish bone out somewhere and no matter how clear and bright the sky has been all day, it instantly turns ugly.
    I'm kind of an eclectic education whore and am still trying to figure out just how somebody figured out a density minimum for miniscule and possibly charged bodies in a cloud (say the oort cloud) to become attracted and start sweeping their path unless they all carry the same polarity

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi BC, It says "introduce yourself", so a big Hi from me ~pete, but I've lost the thread of the rest of your post , I'll look foreward to the "translation"~ Best wishes ~pete.

Posted

• COCzoo by COCzoo

Hello there!! My name is Natalie and I came across this site through my astronomy class. I've found it EXTREMELY useful in letting me explore the surface of Mars. HOW AWESOME IS THAT? Cant wait to learn more about this planet and website site to fully gain what it has to offer us.
    Best of luck to you all!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to COCzoo's comment.

Hi Natalie. Welcome to Planet Four. It is indeed an awesome project and you will certainly learn much about the planet whilst you are here. I see you have already asked a question elsewhere and this is definately a great way to learn. There are some very friendly and knowledgeable people on the project and they enjoy helping out.

There's some really good stuff in the Help section and I'd recommend a root about in that section when you have time. I look forward to seeing you on the Discussions. Good hunting. 😃

Posted

• ktmguy509 by ktmguy509

Hi all,

I'm Matthew. Grew up outside of New York City on Long Island and relocated to Munich, Germany in 2006.

What a great project this is! I found it through Zooniverse looking for a space related hobby. I've always been fascinated by the stars, even convincing my 8th grade science teacher to meet me in an empty field at night to teach me how to use a telescope!

Unfortunately, I never went to college or ever really thought seriously about a career in science. Now I am surrounded by friends working in the various fields of science and see how realistic a career in astronomy could have been for me! I guess I let my parents talk me out of that one...

Unless I decide to start attending university (I am 32 years old), observing the night sky will remain a hobby!

Enjoy studying the surface of Mars! 😃

Posted

• Taingire by Taingire

Hi Everyone,

Im Sandra from the netherlands. I dont have any scientific background, but ive allways been interested in every thing in our galaxy. I love this program as it lets me without any education in this direction participate in a survey of Mars.

I grew up with star treck and have allways hoped that I can experience that somewhere in my life even extraterrestrial life is found, or it might find us.
    I was born in 1975, so there is still hope 😉

And Mars speaks to the imagination. It is also a beautiful planet looking at all those pictures, all those beatifull colours and extreme conditions.

Anyway, ill be popping in from time to time and see if i can clasify some fotos, I cant wait to say what more we will find 😃

Posted

Hiya,

Nice to see some new faces. Welcome to Planet Four. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• ptierno by ptierno

I'm a college student who was directed to this site by my professor. Looks like this project is actually done. Is it?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to ptierno's comment.

Hi ptiemo. No, the project is not finished. In some ways it has only just begun. The project needs to analyse images from different areas, over several more seasons, to build a clearer picture of the wind patterns of Mars' south polar regions. The P4 sister project (P4: Terrains) is searching for new areas to explore with the HiRise camera, especially looking for new 'spider' areas. Cheers.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to ptierno's comment.

So much to do, and as I'm sure Kithrode would agree, almost every image throws up questions that deserve pondering on, even after years of analysing . It's great fun- hope to see you continuing to contribute to our discussion boards. Don't be shy!!

Posted