Planet Four Talk

The end is near for this version of Planet Four, but a new version will be coming soon

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi All,

Yesterday I officially got the word that the Zooniverse platform that hosts Planet Four will be shutting down on April 30th. We're working on building a new version on the newest Zooniverse platform their Panoptes/Project Builder Platform. We're going to have to do a lots of testing in terms of design, but we're making progress. You can think of this as hiatius, not the end of Planet Four. There will be still be Planet Four: Ridges and Planet Four: Terrains going on as well. Planet Four Talk will be available for now and probably in a few months or so will be come read only. We'll keep you updated. If you can help classify as much as you can in the next few days, we've appreciate it.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Seems like an old friend is "slipping away" Meg, I trust our collections will remain in our "profile"section. Will we still access
    terrains and ridges on the same P4 link as now?? ~ Pete.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Your collections will be around for now. Like all technology, the new platform databases are different so we'll have a record that is accessible to the science team in data output from the Planet Four Talk database,but once Talk because inaccessible it won't be available online. I imagine that might happen when we launch on the new platform or in a few years as it becomes harder to host the old platform with more and more updated web standards/protocol. But the science team will have a record of the collection, so it's not lost.

There will be an archive landing page and I am asking that these links stay up to the other Planet Four projects.

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Last post for P4 for now, hope to catch up with everyone at the re-launch.

Meg will we be able to get at the discussion boards after tomorrow?
    Andy

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Hi,

Yes. Talk should be accessible after tomorrow. There will be a point when the boards become read only, but I don't have an exact date for that.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

You will probably see the landing page is now on the hiatus page. We'll continue to update on the progress of Planet Four 2.0 and science results derived from the results from this version of Planet Four. Thanks to your help we completed the new images on the site just in time for shutdown. This will be really important for studying the impact of dust storms on fan/blotch production.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted