Planet Four Talk

"blue!!! oh so blue.!!

• p.titchin by p.titchin

The new NASA images from near Syrtis Major are amazing. The sedimentary deposits in Nili Fossae have that amazing vibrant blue that we see in the early Spring venting on the polar ice. STUNNING. ~pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Is that on the HiRise website? Got a link?

How's the weather with you Pete? I've got snow - lots of it if you need any. 😉

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi Kith. I saw the phtos in the on line Mail science section last Wednesday. No link,. ref is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3939986/The-incredible-blue-dunes-Mars-Stunning-new-NASA-image-reveals-layers-ancient-rock.html (phew!! that actually seems to work). the phto is marked "NASA/JPL-Caltech/Univ. 0f Arizona. Worth a look if you can find it.
    We have wind, sleet and rain. You are welcome to the snow!! I have to spend some time on the boat this week, so chilly days on board for me from today 😦 regards ~pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Yep, the link works fine. As you say, well worth a look. Nice 4-minute flyby video too.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Think this is the HiRise image http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_046851_2040 looking at the recent updates there seems, to me, to be a blue tint to a lot of the images, more so than there used to be - are they fiddling with the image processing?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Oh there's an awful lot going on the that one:

Rolling Boulders (an awful lot - these have probably travelled a couple of kilometers

enter image description here

Monument Valley

Landslips in waiting

Polygonal cracks

And then there's this, what is that white line?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi Wassock. Stunning shots aren't they!! Great boulders!! 😃 Puzzling white line. l'm thinking on that one!~pete

Posted