Planet Four Talk

Lots of Planet Four to be presented over the coming months

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

We had a Plane Four science team call earlier this week and we went through all of the conferences we'll be presenting Planet Four at. I wanted to let you know there's three conferences over the fall that various members of the science team will be presenting Planet Four and science results. More details will come on the blog over the coming months. But it's definitely going to be an exciting and productive time for Planet Four thanks to your clicks. Please keep them coming and thanks for all of your help.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi Meg sounds good, any idea when anything will get published?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

I'm hoping we'll have the paper submitted by the end of the year and formally published will hopefully then be in early 2017.
    Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Brilliant...

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg. Thanks for the update. I'm guessing you'll be able to link us to the paper when it's published (?). I'm also guessing that it'll generate some lively discussion here on Talk. 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hi Kith,

We're definitely going to put the paper on a preprint server so we can share it with everyone when it is accepted by the journal and the referee (independent scientist who reads and critiques the paper). First we have to submit the manuscript. But there's been good progress on the paper and analysis in the past few months.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

I am guessing what is included in the paper (or what the format includes). Perhaps some of the interesting features flagged-up/ discovered by some of us? For example, the beautiful dendritic channels, spiders could illustrate the paper? No doubt the 'averaged click representations' of one/ more of the images and subsequent analysis will be part of the paper...

Cheers,

PJ

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to pete-j's comment.

Hi Pete,

The paper is mainly focusing on Seasons 2 and 3, and the analysis pipeline. We'll have some discussion of bulk results. In terms of other things in the paper, the dendritic channels have been seen previously, so its not something we're planning on putting in the paper. We could think about putting some of the top favorites from Talk from Seasons 2 and 3 as examples in the paper. I'll talk to the team about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg,

Thanks! It'd be great to tie-in the paper closer to the top favourites.

I thought I'd mention that occasionally, I also used a #measurement tag and checking now, there seem to be around 243 objects in this category. Usually, when there was an interesting feature in the image (or just to find out how large a blotch was). I used this tag. Perhaps there might be something of use here, for example the size (distribution) of certain features that you may find useful? If there are enough measurements, and if needed, that is.

Without going into this category and listing what's there - I'll leave that for you guys.

Cheers! 😃

Pete

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to pete-j's comment.

Hi Pete, as I'm sure you are, I am just hoping after these years for a "Paper" not a "blog" or a "progress report". - and -yes- I am only too well aquainted with the process, It can be really hard getting the "peer review " to approve for publication, even though we might feel it is worth publishing. Rightly so, Also, it needs to be in a well recognised journal, else it remains a questionable paper. I;m sure the 'team' is trying as hard as they can to get P4 into the right journal with a usefull scientific contribution, and am keeping my fingers crossed. ~ "hopefull Pete"

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete,

There is a wonderful team here (i.e. P4, the hardcore support and the general contributors). I do understand. We can only do what we can do offer ideas to support the cause. I've had my name on some academic papers in the past (although not in research at the minute)- it is immensely satisfying when published.

Cheers,

Pete J.

PS Still on the subject of planetary science, how about this for news with Der Spiegel leaking news of a possible discovery of an Earthlike world around Proxima Centauri! An update is due on 24.08.16 from ESO, by which time everything will be clear. This bit will be out of date.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete,

I'm anxious and eager to get this paper out too. We're very much pushing on the science paper. It's taking us awhile as there has been some challenges in the data reduction in combining the classifications. At this point we've nearly overcome them all and there's been some good process especially in the past 5 months. Michael's been working very hard on the clustering algorithm. I'll see if we can put an update on the blog in the near future.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Many thanks for the update Meg. Good luck to all your efforts. Just had your e-mail on the ;terrains' project update. looking foreward to the new images.~pete.

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j in response to mschwamb's comment.

Many thanks, Meg.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to pete-j's comment.

Hi Pete,

PS Still on the subject of planetary science, how about this for news with Der Spiegel leaking news of a possible discovery of an Earthlike world around Proxima Centauri! An update is due on 24.08.16 from ESO, by which time everything will be clear. This bit will be out of date.

Indeed a cool discovery and an exciting place to explore and study for future spacecraft and maybe even humans one day.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

The Der Spiegel post resonated as many years ago when still at Uni, see this amazing David Hardy painting...
    enter image description here
    Proxima's Planet (1989).

The other two components in this system are in the top right of the image.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete,

Yep. New images, and I'm sitting down to right some more text for the paper for that project right now actually. The data reduction there is similar to what I've done in the past and a bit less complex than Planet Four because it's a multiple choice/multiple answer question rather than having to link multiple classifications

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted