Planet Four Talk

Juno at Jupiter

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Congratulations to the Juno team for the successful entry into orbit around Jupiter. Let's hope that the science works out ok. At a cost of $1.1 Billion, the team could do to find something fairly spectacular. 😉

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hope all's well on the moor.. I suspect much of the mission is about pushing on the 'space technology', rather than finding out more at close quarters than we know. about the 'big planet'. Wish the project luck anyway. Some guys whole careers have been spent on this. Let's hope the rewards justify not only the expense financially, but also the investment of the lifetime careers of some brilliant minds.~pete.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

Yay for Juno! Were you watching the orbit insertion? I was streaming it. Glad the spacecraft arrived safely. The PI of Planet Four is also the PI of JunoCam, so Candy is very happy that Juno has arrived safely.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

I wasn't watching it as I think it was early hours here in the UK. However, the first thing I did was to check in the morning if it had 'arrived' safely orbital insertion. That was dependent on a UK designed engine I heard!

Great news!

PJ

ps Just needs another Zooniverse project to classify the Juno data when it starts coming in and we'll have no time to go work. (Meant in a friendly way!)

Posted