Planet Four Talk

Catch Mars in the very early morning sky with some other planetary companions

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

You'll have a chance to see Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mercury in the morning sky just before sunrise. More details here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Has anyone gotten a glimpse of Mars in the early morning sky? It's very cloudy in Taipei so I haven't tried. Anyone attempted?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

No Meg. My attempts have been blighted by a cloudy horizon as well. Shame when most of the sy is clear. 😦 ~Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I'm currently spending the early morning hours (and the late morning hours) curled up in bed keeping warm and cosy, so it's a 'no' from me too. 😉

Mind you, I've had some great views of Mars in the past when I was more active in astronomy. I've seen it through all sorts of telescopes, from a 2.5 inch refractor right up to a 30 inch Dobsonian. To be honest though, at my age, sat in my chair with a hot brew looking through the eye of HiRise is definately the best option. 😃

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

I'm just as bad, although I'm not at retirement age yet for a number of years yet. Unfortunately, I'm an armchair astrophysicist/ astronomer, so my answer is no as well!

The last time I did any serious outdoor astronomy was with my local society when I stayed the night at their observatory (here in the UK). This involved watching a live feed of the Venus transit in Summer 2012. If I can remember properly, Venus should have been visible at sunrise (the last part of the transit). The typical British weather meant that we were clouded out!

Posted

Well if it's any consolation even HiRISE gets clouded out from time to time too

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted