Planet Four Talk

Water on Mars

• wassock by wassock moderator

(Duplicate posted on Terrains)

Now it's "official" - Meg do you know if the this image is from curiosity or an "artists impression.

Example Alt Text

Do we now need to revisit the theory of spider formation?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/sep/28/nasa-scientists-find-evidence-flowing-water-mars

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

This is amazing news. i was expecting evidence of water long time past. couple this with the nitrogen find via curiosity earlier this year. watching live now in california.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I think that's a HiRISE image projected. The bottom crisscrosses are dust devil tracks. The stuff on the larger hill are the current slope linae (RSL) Worth nothing that these features were discovered a few years ago by an undergrad at the University of Arizona comparing images from HiRISE of the same area, and it was suspected that liquid water mixed with salt was what was causing the dark streaks. This new discovery is confirming that they find water and salt that wasn't there before the RSL appeared.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Thanks Meg - just to clarify what I know know for everyone else the above image is a standard 'flat' HiRise image (which are cut up to give the images we classify here) made 3D by draping it over a surface generated from other data with the vertical expanded by 1.5 (and lots of very whizzy computer stuff) simples

Posted