Planet Four Talk

Anybody Read Andy Weir's The Martian? (Warning- people might post spoilers in this thread - so reader beware if you haven't read the book)

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

Just curious how many of y'all have read The Martian given your contributions to Planet Four (which we're very thankful for the time and effort you put in helping to explore Mars' South Pole). If you've read it, what did you think out it?

I did read the book. I enjoyed it for it's pace and humor. I liked that it was a light read and enjoyed the plot especially how previous Mars mission were incorporated into the story.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Never heard of it, until now. Might give it a go over the winter period. Cheers.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Just read it - saw a poster for the film yesserday too. he did a lot of background work to get all his bits of kit to work and the 'science ' of it all to hold together in the book. all in all a good yarn, not sure how it'll translate to the big screen, suspect we'll see a lot more of the rest of the crew on screen

Posted

Decided to buy it as an early xmas present to myself. Just finished reading it and I enjoyed it very much. It is indeed well thought out, well researched and it does indeed move along at quite a pace.

Obviously, it could only end in one of two ways. I'd have chosen the other, but I'm strange like that. 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Glad you both enjoyed it. I saw on twitter that Andy Weir is doing a reddit AMA in case you or anyone else in interested in asking a question or reading the responses.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

This is fun http://www.uahirise.org/martian/

enter image description here

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to wassock's comment.

On the assumption that the image above represents 'the martian on Mars', it seems strange to see trees there. 😉

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

I'm with you Kith, looks like a great tumbleweed candidate! 😃 'what a mistaker to maker' ~Pete

Posted

Surely they are dust devils, perfectly martian 😉 The image comes from the HiRise home page, I assume it's a still from the movie makers them selfs, will have to go see the movie now to see if they have them in that.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Nice find. I bet it's a image taken during filming. Might have been selected just so that you would go 'doesn't that look like Mars.... oh wait...' 😃

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I read it over my vacation while flying to Myrtle Beach. Quite enjoyable, although very tech-heavy!

I'll probably catch the movie once it hits DVD. 😃

Posted

Just seen the film. Fairly faithful to the book, but skips over most of the technical bits behind ehat he does to make it all work and misses out a couple of episodes. Worth a trip to the pictures.
    The pic above is a scene from the film, but someone had been at work with the airbrush there.
    Rather a lot of clouds on mars, but they got dust Devils in and some polygonal cracking

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Finally got round to reading it, (courtesy of a £3 copy from a certain national chain of booshops!) Yea, an enjoyable read. Thoroughly engrossed for a day! 😉 ~pete.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It is a pretty short read! I still gotta see the movie...

Posted

DVD arrived today. Just watched it. Most enjoyable. I wonder if David Bowie got a sneak preview before he passed away?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

Glad you enjoyed it. I still haven't seen it. Perhaps when it comes out on Netflix. I did enjoy the book very much.

~Meg

Posted