Planet Four Talk

Heading to Ithaca

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

A quick note to say that we're going to be heading back to Ithaca Season 1. We're nearly done with Manhattan Season 4 images. So now we have 4 Mars years of Inca City and Manhattan. That's a powerful data set. Thanks for all the help and now we're aiming to do the same with Ithaca.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Hiya,

In the last few hours we hit 100% complete on the Manhattan images that were live on the site. We'll be heading back to Ithaca Season 1 to complete those images.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hiya,

The Ithaca Season 1 images should be showing on the site now.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

yes meg, immediately recognisable change of terrain. Nice to know the memory still remembers the difference after over 2 years. Bring it on! 😃 ~Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete,

Nice. We were showing Ithaca Season 1 earlier last Fall, so you might notice that you've seen some of the images then, but it's been a long time since those images were showing so well done on spotting Ithaca (I'm not sure I could do that except for guessing based on fan size). Thanks for all the clicks.

The fan size is definitely different. It will be really nice to have these measurements for Inca, Ithaca, and Manhattan for four Mars years.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg, It's not just fan size, but lack of obvious spiders associated with the venting, and the incipient hints that polygonal plates are forming. The terraine becomes recognisable after hundreds of classifications, especially when you examine HiRISEfor every image (which I would encourage all to do!) and see the context. After 2 and a half years,I can normally place the area for an image as Ithaca, Manhattan, Inca City,Giza,Oswigo, Finger Lake or Tiny Crater when I see it. Happy days! 😃 I'm slightly embarrassed to say I'm over 12,000 zooniverse classifications now, and over 6500 on P4. and I would guess I have looked at double that for P4 off other peoples classifications on 'Recents'.Some sad sack eh! 😃 I'm sure many folks have done many more, but =heh=Just keep it coming, and I'll keep looking! ~Pete ( By the way, in this area it's the reason for the polygonal plate formation that i'm trying to examine) Anyone got any thoughts or hints on this? ~Pete

Posted