Planet Four Talk

ZooCon 2015

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

The Zooniverse Oxford HQ is organizing ZooCon 2015 for volunteers with an afternoon inspired by Zooniverse projects. There isn't a published schedule of talks, but whether you're interested in out of this world Zooniverse projects or ones closer to home, they'd love to have you join them in Oxford, UK. After the afternoon discussions, attendees can later head over to a gathering at a local pub for a social evening. If you want to skip the talks, you can just sign up for the attending the pub. I'm sure there will be some science team members (physically and virtually) from many of the projects as well as some of the core Zooniverse team in attendance. More details and sign up for tickets at can be found here -- the tickets are free, but there is limited space, and the organizers need to tell both the physics department and the pub how many people are coming, so register if you want to attend.

ZooCon is set for Saturday, 11 July 2015 from 13:00 to 21:00 (BST) and you can reserve a ticket here. Who's attending or thinking of attending?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

I will be up for it (once I have clearance from the ultimate power that is)

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

we are in the process of moving off my 'rock', back to the UK , and so I very much hope that this year I can make it! 😃 ~pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hiya,

Glad to hear that Planet Four will be represented.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Too far for me I'm sorry to say, but good luck with the event. I look forward to the write-up though. 😉

Posted

Hi,

For those attending, I know it's a few months away, but I was wondering if anyone is willing to volunteer to write up a short blog post abut your experience at ZooCon. It can be just a paragraph or two or a few photos or both. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg, I'll be there, but happy to let someone else do the honours if I'm not on me lonesome.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Great to hear. I'll let you know sooner to the date.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi,

The ZooCon schedule is up. There won't directly be a Planet Four or Planet Four: Terrains talk, but there will be related Zooniverse-wide discussions I'm sure. You can find the line up here.

Feel free to tell the Zooniverse Oxford folks how awesome you think Planet Four is 😃

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Just to confirm that I will also be attending ZooCon! I will be the one in the blue shirt, LOL (which should narrow it down a little if you've never seen me before).

Therefore, there should be three of us from P4 attending?

Posted

Hi,

I wanted to point out there is also now a Zooniverse Talk (the new zooniverse-wide discussion tool for more general Zooniverse topics) discussion thread if anyone wants post there as well. You can find the ZooCon thread here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi,

I wanted to wish everyone traveling to ZooCon safe travels. I hope you have a great time, and thanks for representing Planet Four.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi,

ZooCon is going to be streamed online and also recorded. You can find the link to watch the video of the talks here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg

Hopefully some of us will be able to meet up. I've been to Oxford before (2010), but that was with a visit with my local astronomical society as one of the academics is our President. We had a tour of many historic buildings.

Cheers.

Pete

Posted

Hi Pete's hope you will both be gonna make it
    Shirt selection isn't that organised for me, black berghaus ruckbag should distinguish me
    Andy

Posted

Hi,

If you couldn't watch the live stream, the talks were recorded so you can watch them at your own leisure here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

The live broadcast was really fun to watch and very informative. I especially enjoyed the talks about the Antarctica project and the one on 'Past and Furure' Zooniverse work.

The placement of the camera would be better if it was a little more face-on (it was hard to see some of the slides) and questions from the audience weren't audible so they should be repeated by the speaker so that online viewers can hear them. Having said that, if anybody didn't get to see the live version then don't be put off by my nit-picking and give the recorded session a view on the link in Meg's post (above).

Job well done. Highly recommended. 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hey Kith,

Glad you liked it. I'll make sure your feedback gets passed along.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Just to report that l thoroughly enjoyed the day and l feel sure Wassock and pete-j did as well.pete got a photo of the three P4 reps, so maybe he can provide it for a blog. The new facilty enablng folks to set up their own projects is exciting and the site seems very 'user friendly'. A real tribute to the team.#Pete

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

It was a brilliant day. Unfortunately, I had to leave straight after the talks, still maybe next time. I sent the photo straight in to both Meg and Wassock. So hopefully it should appear soon in the blog.

Cheers

Posted

Hiya,

Today we have a blog post by wassock about ZooCon 2015 with photos by pete-j. Also thanks to everyone who attended ZooCon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Good post and nice images. Always good to put a face to a name. 😃

Having watched the live stream I can recommend a look at the video to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Posted