Planet Four Talk

Singing The Broadband Blues

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Everybody. As winter starts to close in round these parts, I'm gonna be doing more drop in, drop out, no connection at all, as my already poor broadband service struggles to cope. I'll be here when I can, but just so you know what's happening if I disappear for a day or two. Cheers. 😉

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Sorry to hear that, @Kitharode ... ! Just how remote are you? Does Mars only get crummy broadband? 😃

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Hi DZM, I live on Alderney, one of the smaller Channel Islands,(the rock!) and my broadband is getting infuriatingly intermittant with internet connection as well at this time of year. Slows the classifying up no end, I'm afraid. ~Pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to DZM's comment.

It's not so much the remoteness Darren, it's the surrounding hills. I'm in a kind of valley side 'bowl' where the wind, rain and snow act in weird and wonderful ways. Google map Swallows Barn, Bacup Road, Todmorden if you want to have a closer look. I'm just down the track from an astronomy education centre that I helped to build. Very useful 😉

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Move to Cornwall guys, supa fast 65 mbs here 😃

Posted

Pete: No wonder you've taken an interest in boulders - Seems like you live on one. 😉

Wassock: Cornwall's a bit flat isn't it? Good for astronomy (if there's no lighr pollution) but a bit boring otherwise, eh? * 😉 *

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

You're right Kith, my "boulder of domicile" is effectively the same size as 67P/Churyumov-Gearsimenko. It does have the advantage of having very little light pollution though! 😃 ~Pete

Posted

Snowed in for the last five days. Broadband failure most days. Electricity off all day Thursday. Snow gone today so was looking forward to getting off site for some shopping, but car battery was completely flat so had to ring AA.

Never mind, I'm back for now. Hope you are all fairing well in other parts of the UK (or wherever). 😃

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Welcome back, I'm just coming over to UK for a week, so I will be 'off boards' for that time. See you all when i return! ~ Pete

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

...and I'm from Rotherham!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to pete-j's comment.

Somebody has to come from Rotherham !! Should we send you our condolences, or is Rotherham a good place to live? 😉

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

'Rotherham born and bred' as the saying goes and I must also be your nearest neighbour in planetary terms (Planet Four contributor) i.e. on this Earth!

Very mixed emotions here on my part. I will leave politics out of what I write and try to be diplomatic. It used to be a lot safer place to live. The centre of town has become more pleasant since the '80s with the Rotherham Minster and an area cleared opposite (new small park created) to appreciate the historical building.

The administrative mess needs sorting - it is all beyond words...

Posted