NASA and its commercial partners are designing Orion to take
    astronauts to a near-Earth asteroid in the 2020s, and to Mars and its
    moons in the 2030s. For that reason, NASA portrays Friday's 4.5-hour
    test flight as a first step toward deep-space exploration... "I would
    describe it as the beginning of the Mars era," NASA Administrator
    Charles Bolden said on NASA TV.

We're going to Mars! Whoo! 😃

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Hi DZM, nice to talk, and thank you for all your work on the boards.I would say that this is a step( if successful) to a limited trip to Mars, but hey, things must start with an intention, and looking at the project profile, I do not expect to see a live landing on Mars in my lifetime.That said, my contact on this sight, Nasa, and Cern is more than enough to keep me out of mischief! 😃 ~ Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Darren. Firstly, it was nice to see you on the P4 blog. Always good to put face to a name. Perhaps after the 'Meet The Team' series we could meet a few 'P4 Star Performers'. My nominations would be Angi (angie60) and Pete (p.titchen) who have both made significant contributions to the site. 😃

Like Pete, I don't expect to see a Mars landing in my lifetime, but I'm sure it'll happen. My understanding is that the near Earth asteroid is to be nudged into a lunar orbit (?) which will allow for long term observation/sampling and eventually (I'm guessing) for the mining companies to make some profit from.

As an aside, I met Charles Bolden and his wife in the 1980's when they were touring England just after he had finished his Shuttle missions. Lovely people and incredibly keen to share their experiences.

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hahaha Kitharode - me, a 'star performer'? If they put my photo on the Blog it would scare people away (they'd probably think I was a Martian)! Kind of you to make the suggestion though 😃

To my mind I think it would be incredibly sad if we mined asteroids, the Moon or Mars, or anywhere else in space. Haven't 'we' made enough of a mess here on Earth? But I'm sure it's bound to happen if money can be made out of it 😦

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Oh, hey, that blog post went up! I totally never noticed. Thanks for reminding me about that!

http://blog.planetfour.org/2014/12/05/meet-the-team-darren-mcroy/

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Hey, DZM, what are you worried about, you look more human than Martian!! 😃 ~ Pete

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I wish I'd worn a classier top the day we took that photo. 😦

What can I say; it's cold here, and that hoodie is comfortable. And Columbia is a great school!

Posted