Planet Four Talk

ZooCon 2014

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi Mars Explorers,

The Zooniverse Oxford HQ is hosting again the ZooCon 2014 for volunteers with an afternoon inspired by Zooniverse projects. There isn't a published schedule of talks, but whether you're interested in out of this world Zooniverse projects or ones closer to home, they'd love to have you join them in Oxford, UK. After the afternoon discussions, attendees can later head over to a gathering at a local pub for a social evening. If you want to skip the talks, you can just sign up for the attending the pub. I'm sure there will be some science team members (physically and virtually) from many of the projects as well as some of the core Zooniverse team in attendance. More details and sign up for tickets at can be found here -- the tickets are free, but there is limited space, and the organizers need to tell both the physics department and the pub how many people are coming, so register if you want to attend.

There is also going to be a second ZooCon called ZooCon Portsmouth hosted at the University of Portsmouth. It will take place on September 13th. There will be some talks as well as an editathon to improve coverage of Citizen Science on Wikipedia. They have a schedule set for the day that you can check out. More details here (Like the Oxford event, tickets are free, but there is limited space at both the lecture hall and the pub) so do register.

Who's attending? You can read about past ZooCon experiences here from our own Talk moderator wassock

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Three bums in a row,will be too busy looking after the campers to make it to Oxford 😦 Hopefully will be able to make it to Pompey though.

Posted

Is there anyone from the Planet Four community who is going to ZooCon14 that is willing to write a guest blog post about the experience?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Also I can confirm the science team will be representing virtually at ZooCon 2014 at the Oxford event.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Sorry. Too far for me to make it. Good luck with it though. I look forward to the write-ups and such. 😃

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Just registered for Portsmouth. Hope my health improvement allows me to get there. Would love to see some of the 'discussion boards friends' I interact with.~Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Great to hear you'll be heading to Portsmouth, and that you're feeling better. Would you be willing to write a blog post about your experience at the Portsmouth event for the Planet Four blog? Just a paragraph or two, as much or as little as you'd like to write.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg, I've sent you a message with my E-mail address, in the hope you can send me an example of the sort of thing you mean. ~Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete,

I started a reply, will be in your inbox tomorrow. Caught up at the moment remote observing with the Caltech Submillimeter Observatory on Mauna Kea in Hawaii. I'm remote observing from Taiwan likely for the next few nights more as well. Nothing related to Planet Four, though we did use Mars as a pointing calibrator

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Enjoy Mauna Kea ! Even if it is remote viewing! ~Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete. Wassock went last year and did a blog post. http://blog.planetfour.org/2013/06/

Posted

Just to let you know there are still free tickets available for the Oxford ZooCon on August 2nd.

Line up is:

enter image description here

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Thanks Kith,that's a great help! Now I've just got to get there! I have a new e=mail address, which I will message you. ~Pete

Posted

• angi60 by angi60

Sadly, I can't make it (again) this year, which I'm VERY disappointed about! 😦

Posted

OK Meg, if I can get there, and no one else wants to, I think I can give it a go ~Pete===
    Sorry Angi can't make it.

Posted

Great. Thanks Pete. Just to confirm, this is for the Portsmouth event? You can email me when you have a draft and whatever photos you'd like to include.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Yes, it will be the portsmouth con. ~Pete

Posted

Great. Thanks.

~Meg

Posted

For anyone interested, there’s still time to get your Oxford ZooCon14 tickets (they’re free!) for this Saturday.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to p.titchin's comment.

Sorry to say, I have exhausted my search for affordable air fares and accommodation for the Portsmouth zoo-con. It is way out of my budget sadly. I could have a cruise on the Rhine, or 8 days in Venice all in, for the same price! ( regretfully, I shan't be doing either of those either. 😦 ). So, my apologies Meg, I shall not be able to make it. I hope that by next year, We will be back in UK,-(Devon I think), and I will be able to attend.~Pete.

Posted

Too bad. Maybe next year Pete, but no worries.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted