Planet Four Talk

Eye Eye - Might Not Be Craters.

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Wassock's 'Double Craters' discussion (in Just Chatting) does, I think, deal with craters. In this image I'm suggesting that we're not dealing with craters, hence the new thread. http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/ESP/ORB_030800_030899/ESP_030806_1125/ESP_030806_1125_RED.abrowse.jpg (Lat 67S. Long 8.7E)

Some kind of 'sinking' process feels more comfortable than an impact process. What do you see?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

the double - craters - missing the characteristic ejecta rays of a double impact. But the 'lumpy' area beneath that could be old craters or some sort of slumping - An area with lots of craters though. the 2 or three 'tracks' running thye length of the image and crossing the left hand of the double, are interesting

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to Kitharode's comment.

Any idea what the vein-like markings are inside the double? (Reminds me of two bloodshot eyes - a bit like mine after I've been classifying for hours!!)

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Could be craters underneath overlaid with stuff now eroding, but I'm unsure. Yes, the long lines are mysterious and I've no ideas about them at all.

In areas around this image there's loads of those dust devil tracks, so a good chance there's a few here.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

I count around 60 'craters', seems an awful lot.The surface seems to be densely covered in boulders/rocks, but although there are some just inside the rims, there aren't any in the bottoms of the 'craters'. As always, more questions!

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to angi60's comment.

I'm reading those as dust devil tracks angie

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to wassock's comment.

Yes, I wondered that Wassock. But I couldn't understand why they were so obvious inside the double crater, yet faint elsewhere. I suppose it could be because the crater bottoms are more sheltered so the tracks haven't been erased (maybe?)

Posted