Planet Four Talk

Planet Four in School.

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Just got back from Lonelystar's school where I've been chatting with some of her students about Citizen Science, with an emphasis on Planet Four. It was really good fun and the students were genuinely interested, and impressed, with the whole idea. Hopefully we'll see a few new martians online soon. 😉

Lonelystar's boss called in towards the end of the session and came to have a chat. He's invited me back for two more sessions with two different groups (which is nice) so he's obviously happy with the idea. I'm also going back in March next year for National Astronomy Week (NAW) when I'll give a full hours presentation on 'Citizen Science & The Spiders on Mars'. Thanks go to Candi and Meg for some input on the latter.

NAW doesn't happen every year, but when it does it's a pretty big event. I mention it because astro clubs all over the country spend a whole week offering the general public telescope sessions, astrophotography, Q&A sessions, and lectures on astronomy. Most astro clubs are small (like the science team) and they are always looking for something new to offer their visitors. If any of you enjoy public speaking and knowledge sharing, NAW is a great opportunity.

NAW Website: http://www.astronomyweek.org.uk/

Astro clubs: http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Awesome.

That's great.

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

My first visit to Lonelystar's grammar school must have been OK because I've just got back from my second visit there. A very nice group of students who politely listened to my ramblings on Citizen Science, with an emphsis (of course) on Planet Four. With a bit of luck I'll have tempted some of them to join the Zooniverse and with a bit more luck some of them may call in here.

Here's looking towards next years class. 😉

Posted

• lonelystar by lonelystar

Hi Kitharode,
    Another really good session today, thank you. The students enjoyed it and it was great to see them exploring the different projects on Zooniverse. They were still discussing it after you left (always a good sign). Maybe you can come back next term and talk to the younger students at Astronomy Club?
    Cheers, Lonelystar

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to lonelystar's comment.

Thank you. That makes it all worthwhile. Next term would be weather dependant (as you know) but if you think the Astro Club would enjoy it (and the weather is ok) then I'd love to help out. Cheers. 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Let us know if any of them show up, @Kitharode! We'll have to be sure to throw them a big, friendly Zooniverse welcome. 😃

Posted