Planet Four Talk

Let's get some more red on the map - Zooniverse Live

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Curious where people in the world are who are classifying in the Zooniverse are right now? There's now a website (Zooniverse Live) showing where and what projects people are classifying on in real time. Let's get some more red on that map!

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

I keep looking, but no red spots 😦 How many have to be logged in to register a spot?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

You don't have to necessarily be logged in but you have to be classifying. Taipei shows up after I classify, so it should be working for you.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Just gone on while classifying,1825 GMT. No spots of any colour. Can't believe there are no 'citizen scientists' at all on line over the globe on any of the projects. Will carry on trying to get a 'red' up there!
    ~pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Same here. Like you say - we'll keep trying. 😛

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to mschwamb's comment.

My name appeared when I was classifying a couple of days ago, though it got my location wrong! However, there was no red spot 😦

Posted

You need to leave the Zooniverse live website open somewhere running then log into P4 and the red dot will appear, if you switch it later then you'll just see your name/image classified on the right. I was checking on the Zooniverse live and saw your name go by angi60 and saw a red dot somewhere in the UK, if that helps. Just did that and I show up in Taipei. Let me know if this method doesn't work.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg - thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I was doing what you suggested. I've checked tonight, and saw my name, but didn't see a red dot at first. However, I've just seen one - hurray!! That's all I was bothered about, because we don't want Planet Four to be invisible! It just showed me in GB tonight, whereas it gave Peterhead GB when the location was wrong two days ago (I'm in Wales, GB, not England!) I assume you're not in Taipei!
    Thanks, Angi

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to angi60's comment.

No I'm really in Taipei. My postdoctoral fellowship ended at Yale a few weeks ago, and I just moved to Taiwan for a postdoctoral research position at Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy & Astrophysics in Taipei. The institute operates in English.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Ah, I see. That's excellent. Well done! I hope it goes well for you - you're doing what I always dreamed of doing 😃 I expect you're relieved they operate in English!
    Good luck.
    Angi

Posted

Tried again with no joy, so closed down my planet four page, went onto the main zooniverse page and logged in on that site before selecting planet four. started classifying, then saw my name go by, apparently I live in NL, wherever that may be! Sadly however, no red spot has appeared 😦

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

you are keeping the Zooniverse live page open at the same time? I'll email the Zooniverse development team and see what they say.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• edpaget by edpaget

Hey guys, I developed Zooniverse Live, and I just wanted the chime in on why your dots might not be appearing.

1. Figuring out your location by IP address is not an exact science. We can only roughly determine your location from that piece of information (for instance at ZooniverseHQ in Chicago, our dots always appear is somewhere called Galesburg, which is not a city I've ever heard of), so its possible that someone else's dot appear over top of yours even if they weren't that close to you. In p.titchen's case, being in The Netherlands (or at least having an IP that looks like its in The Netherlands) is going to put you dot in the middle of a bunch of other zooniverse users.
    1. The dots and the scrolling users move at different rates. the speed at which the column of users scroll varies depending on the speed at which classifications are coming in, whereas the dots continue to plot themselves at a rate of two per second. We also do a little filtering on the displayed users to try to make sure the same image isn't shown more than once. so its also possible that after your name scrolled by the dot would have appeared a little later.

2. Zooniverse Live simply isn't designed to always show every single classification in real-time. I think it'd be awesome if we could, but it would be pretty expensive to make in terms of engineer time and computational power. Zooniverse Live runs off a single server with 400mb of RAM (for comparison that's less than half the RAM in the Nexus 4 I'm typing this on right now). This means when we get a bunch of classifications at once Zooniverse Live can't handle all of them and drops a few here and there. We also use Redis as our way our communicating between the Zooniverse Classification server and Zooniverse Live. Redis is a pretty sweet piece of technology. but when we use it send messages its not 100% reliable mostly because messaging is a case where technologies have to choose between between being fast and reliable and Red is chooses to be really fast.

Hopefully this helps explain why you might not be seeing yourselcves on Zooniverse Live. I'm sorry about typos. I wrote this all on my cell phone which was a bit tricky to do.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to edpaget's comment.

Hey, thanks for that. Got the first two paragraphs ok, but the Nexus4/Redis paragraph is just a fraction too Star Trek for me. I'll take your word for it. 😉

Yes it's got limitations, and it's a touch 'glitchy', but I like it and I appreciate your efforts.

"OK. Beam me up Scotty" ** 😛 **

Posted

Still troubled by this one! If I log in on planet four, and classify I don't appear, if I log in on the Zooniverse home page, then classify then I appear briefly,(wrong location) but if I then go to 'discuss' and back to classify, I don't appear, and have to restart the log in process on zooniverse and to planet four through that page, rather than direct toP4. Sevaral also logged in at same time , only saw one other name, and still no red spot. they were actively classifying as their images and comments were appearing in 'recent'. Presumably they also ceased to register when they clicked on 'discuss'. I'll keep trying !
    ~Pete

Posted

I'm not sure logging through the zooniverse main page matters. I haven't had that issue. As Ed, said it could be you're classifying at a time when many many people in Europe are classifying for other projects so the dot is getting throttled or covered up quickly.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to edpaget's comment.

Thanks for the explanations. I'm actually in Alderney, Channel Islands UK, so I'm not Dutch!. I like the idea of the site, so many thanks for your efforts.~Pete

Posted

Thanks Meg, I'll just keep trying!~Pete

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar

wow it does a red spot each time you collect another image to mark 😄

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Chocstar's comment.

yep! most of the time, given some caveats on how busy the Zooniverse is in your area. but yep.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

There's an updated version of Zooniverse Live - It's very cool (well I think it is). Check it out at http://live.zooniverse.org/
    (If you don't see dots appearing on the map shortly after loading the page in Firefox trying reloading it).

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg. It's certainly addictive! The only problem I have is that my eyes don't seem to cope with the sideways scrolling when the strip's moving fast, yet I had no problem with the previous downwards scrolling! Must be my weird eyesight!!

P.S. I missed the Live Chat, but caught it on the Blog, and I found it very interesting. It was good to hear the Science in a bit more depth, and it was fascinating to hear more about the positioning of the HiRise camera etc from Chris and Kirsten. It constantly amazes me how crystal clear the images are from a planet so far away! To see such images is a privilege. Well done Team and keep up the good work 😃

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I wholeheartedly agree with Angie - the HiRISE images are amazing (especially the monochromatic ones)!

Posted

• neethu_thomas_devagiri by neethu_thomas_devagiri

hiiii......,in some of my images,i used' interesting features' tool for channels & spiders...,is there any problem??

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to neethu thomas devagiri's comment.

Hi, no that shouldn't break anything. "Interesting" is not strictly part of the project, just a way of being able to flag things off the track of the main project

Posted

• neethu_thomas_devagiri by neethu_thomas_devagiri

what are the climate patterns of mars?what atmospheric turbulance be inferred through studies of fans and blotches?
    what are causes and dynamics of fans and blotches?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to neethu thomas devagiri's comment.

Have you taken a look at our about page? We also had a recent public talk on the project which you can find the recorded video for here.

If you still have questions feel free to post and I, the science team, the Talk moderators, or other seasoned members of the Planet Four volunteer will try and answer.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

"Zooniverse Live" has a long lag time to show up (my case mid-coastal California south of Frisco) sometimes 5 mins. Not only that I have always shown up with a blue dot even when signed in to P4. Monitored on PC with 2 open windows. best regards

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

5 mins isn't too bad considering that the Mars fairy has to do a ftl flit to Mars and back with her paint pot to make it happen 😃

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5 in response to wassock's comment.

oh i agree but why is the dot blue? should reflect contribution to P4

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

Hiya,

Orange is P4 - blue is another other project no on the list. the legend for colors is on the lower left. I think it may do some filtering so as not to slow down completely if the Zooniverse is very busy. You can definitely see it light up orange after a newsletter. I can see when I'm classifying in Taiwan. I find for firefox I have to sometimes reload after going to it to see the dots appear if they don't show up immediately.

I cot Taiwan to light up, but had to reload my browser after going to Zooniverse live today since only the blue was showing up at least for firefox. I've found that Zooniverse Live works better in Chrome.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5 in response to mschwamb's comment.

thx Meg i should give Chrome a Chance in 2015

Posted