Planet Four Talk

so whaddaya make of this then?

• wassock by wassock moderator

hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/PSP/ORB_009600_009699/PSP_009655_2620/PSP_009655_2620_COLOR.browse.jpg

enter image description here

Scroll down the image and it''ll be obvious, thimk it is 30 to 40 metres across and North at the top

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to wassock's comment.

That is so weird it actually looks like it may have been badly photo-shopped onto the image!

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

wassock,
    Did you find that here, and match it up with the HiRise pciture catalog? Or did you just bring it here from there?
    Well as wild as that is, at least you can pretty safely say that it's a "natural" part of the landscape (Unless the scientists are having a joke "on us" 😉

I ran across this today in an image, and I'm pretty hard pressed to see anything "natural" about it. Have a look, and feel free to give your interpretation. I'm all ears!!
    enter image description here

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Nasca? The image I posted is one I fell over looking for something else, theres also a bigger scale image which shows that the dark area is fans/blotches, clear fans bottom right leading up and into a very large dark area.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Auricle, no way is that a natural phenomenon. Perhaps it is a part of the Mars buggy that got left behind? The strangest thing, is that the anomaly is at exactly 90 degrees. Are you sure the image hasn't been tampered with? By the way, what number is it?

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Are you sure the image hasn't been tampered with? By the way, what number is it?

I think it would be heavily discussed & trending by now if it were genuine, & +1 on Jelly's comments & answer appreciated please AUricle. That yellow writing looks a bit suspect also! hehehe 😃

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to JellyMonster's comment.

JM and Ian,

First off, LOL on the "writing" comment! I can assure you both that my scribble was the ONLY "tampering" done by me.

Dave, the image is a crop of the complete image I was going to mark when I saw this 'thing'. Actually the entire image was very featureless save for that thing.So getting an image identifier never happened because I never "finished" the image. But I grabbed a screen shot because I was afraid to lose what I saw. I'll explain that, because here is where the story gets even more weird.

I saw another, almost identical feature the day before, but it weirded me out so much, that I purposely kept from talking about it here in the open forums. Didn't want to come off as a "whack-job" alien conspiracy nut.
    However, I sent a message detailing it to Meg, the scientist, which you can read, below.......but I want to explain something first. I was afraid to "finish" the image yesterday because when I did that with the one on the previous day, I then could not find the "thing".......and that one I saved to my PC so I could take a better look at it.

OK, here is what I wrote Meg. You'll see how perplexed I was.

Blockquote

(message title) Extremely odd 'feature'. Does the science team make marks on these images?

Hi Meg, I hope this is not a bother.

I was classifying this image APF0000nfo under some magnification because it was a real jumble of features, when I ran across something that did not appear natural at all. It definitely looked like a ground feature, but it was so odd that I thought maybe it was some kind of editing mark that was put there by the image team or something. I also know it wasn't a fan or blotch mark that I made....well OK, 99.95% sure 😉

Yes, I did mark it with the "interesting feature" star. In fact I dragged the star over it so it was dead center. Actually I put 2 stars on the image, but I think the other is a reflection off of a boulder. The notable star is in the upper right quadrant of the image as it is oriented on the classification page. I also saved the image to my collection and to my PC for later study.

Now here's the weird part. I checked my profile page to make sure the image was there. It was, and so I zoomed in to see how easy it would be to pick out the feature again. I realize our markings don't 'come along' with the saved images so I wasn't expecting to see the star, but to my horror, the feature was missing! (insert appropriate expletive(s) next to 'shocked' emoticon here)

Is there any way to retrieve the original marked image..on your end there, or is this lost forever?...and if you can take a look at it, could you let me know if I've lost my mind, or if there really is something on the surface that does not ''belong" there?

Also one more quick question....On the JPL/Hi Rise site the images have a number scheme different than here. Is there any way to cross reference them so that you can see a full res. copy of images here?
    Posted 2 days ago

Blockquote

Actually, when I saw this the first time, I was going to make a joke about finding the "cabana" to go along with the "blue swimming pools of the Martian Rich & Famous"...(the blue pixels from another thread)
    OK guys, that's the whole story. Anything you can do to clear this one up would be appreciated.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to AUricle's comment.

JM and Ian,

Forgot to mention that I have not heard back from Meg Schwamb......I don't know, maybe we are not "allowed" to message the scientists directly? .....so she never got it?
    Maybe I should have put it in the "Science" chat board?

Ian, as far as "trending" goes, the where of the post's placement is probably just as responsible as anything for it's lack of exposure and response. Plus I don't think this dance hall is very full anymore. Notice the image count has slowed dramatically in the past week or so. I think we're down to a group of hard-core Martians 😉

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Hi AUricle,

If it is something man made Martian side, then hats of to you for finding it mate.😃

It seems odd though not appearing again after marking, & makes me question if it is something man made IT side? Do you ever run any reputable anti adware/malware programs, such as the 'free' edition of http://www.superantispyware.com/

Lets hope it isn't though, & that Meg gets back to you.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

It seems odd though not appearing again after marking, & makes me question if it is something man made IT side? Do you ever run any reputable anti adware/malware programsBlockquote

Don't go all "technical" on me here, Ian. Remember, I'm the guy who had to beg for help about 'messages'. 😉

Are you saying that the "thing" might have something to do with a virus or some other malware? How on Earth.....? (and YES, I regularily run 'cleaning' tools on this rig....I'm kinda meticulous about my IT "house-cleaning")

One other thing I forgot to mention is the difference between the object yesterday, and the 'first' one from the previous day. On "day one", the object had a perfectly circular 'donut' attached to the 'base' (south end) that was about the same size as the upper 'square' part near the 'top' (north end) so it was very well proportioned tin relation to the rest of the "parts". As you can see, this one has no "circular driveway".

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to AUricle's comment.

the image is a crop of the complete image I was going to mark when I saw this 'thing

I thought it had been cropped as the proportions weren't right. It also looks like it has been enlarged as it appears to be fuzzy.

Do you still have the snapshot of the entire screen before cropping it, as it would have had the image number at the top.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

Dave,

You're right, it was about a 275% zoom of the original frame and the crop was a rectangular snip, probably between 33%-50% of the actual image. I'm combing through my hard drive to see if there is another version
    Actually I took 2 screen snips, but neither was a full shot showing the address bar, so the answer is,unfortunately no.
    The other snip is really a snip, as I used the 'scissors' to do a free form snip....it's actually a tighter shot than than the one I posted, but the object looks larger too (higher zoom I think)....maybe clearer...you're welcome to it, fwiw. https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4sfavv6mr8fb8e/Weirdmark.JPG

I wonder if the "team" or developers have records of who gets what images?. I know Zooniverse keeps count of your images maybe they have more thorough records too. If Meg would reply back, amybe those questions could be answered, but nothing so far. 😦....Do you think maybe I should've thrown this into the "Science" or "Help" board?
    Thanks for taking a look at this thing Dave!

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Indeed Jelly.

The only info I can gain is that it was taken yesterday at 17.43 😦

If I had the original uncropped version, I might be able to obtain info that might be helpful, if AU does not have the original catalogue number.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to Ian Mason's comment.

JM and Ian,

Hoping the 3rd time is the charm. See the Science Board "The Objects".

Posted