Planet Four Talk

Sub solar azimuth

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Dear P4, Whilst responding to a post on image APF0002bs2 by 'monaisingh' on the "science-objects board" regarding the illusion produced in an image like this lit from the lower part (lower right in this case), I noticed that the image statistics list the sub solar azimuth as 282.432°. This would be rt of top centre, which appears to be incorrect. I pulled up the full HiRISE statistics which list it as 48.6°, which seems correct. The S.S.A. was not being shown under the images for a while. Now I've looked at several other recent ones they all seem to be giving SSA's in the high 200's. I don't know why the discrepancy, but it is confusing!!! have I missed a P4 change in the convention?~pete 😦

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up. I checked the label (header of the image) also linked on the HiRISE website. And those values match what we report. As you pointed out the public HiRISE website has different discrepant values. I trust the header file as that is linked with the image data but I will bring it up with our PI, Candy Hansen, who is also deputy director of the HiRISE camera, so she'll be able to find out which values are the correct ones.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hey,

So it looks like we have the map projected image values listed on the Talk and the correct values are in the 'For non-map projected images' section on the HiRISE public pages. I will try and get this fixed, but we have limited developer time since the Zooniverse is focusing on building their project builder platform, and we don't have funding to cover developer costs, so the Zooniverse development team will fit this in while they can.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

As always Meg, many thanks for spending the time and effort on sorting this. ~pete.

Posted