Planet Four Talk

I've fallen into a crater and can't get up

• backpages by backpages

Greetings!

(WinXP SP3 w/FF [current])

As you will soon find out, I am new. I'm having a problem (or several) marking the craters. I've changed my mouse to a crosshair for better accuracy, but the red X and one (two) black circles are stacked on top of my image, which forces me to guess if I'm in the right spot for sizing. I have taken to creating a circle in an empty area, then dragging it over to the crater, which works sometimes (I've given up on ellipticals). The process to 'size' a crater is just slow for this reason. On the small craters, for the process of moving the circle, it is just as difficult, as the four arrows cover them up...it is move/peek/move/peek/etc. Not sure what can be done about that except to put the four arrows to the side while moving (or hover) the circle.

Another related complication....after marking a number of craters, the system just quits giving me the red X, and refuses to start again. On some pages, I have dozens/hundreds to mark, and I can't get through 1/4 of the page before this happens . I have to 'finish' and go on, leaving many unmarked.

How small do you want me to mark (assuming I can still get an red X)on these craters?

I really, really want to stay with this project, I enjoy it and I have a lot of time, but I can't figure out how to fix these problems, and it's just discouraging. Sorry if this is in the wrong place (I tried to find some place better). Thanks for your time.
    Paul (aka backpages)

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to backpages's comment.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. There's a separate team associated with the craters project, but the craters project is mostly finished, so that's why we've removed the link from the front of the Planet Four website. I can try and forward your feedback to the cratering team. I'll see if I can get the craters team to write a wrap up blog post.

There's lots of data that the original Planet Four that we need help classifying if you're interested in mapping fans and blotches.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi Paul,

I stand corrected. It looks like the Crater program is still going. I'll try and get a response for your from one of their science team

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• sprinklebum by sprinklebum scientist

Hi Paul

Meg is correct that the project is coming to an end, in as much as no new imagery will be added to the site. Please feel free to continue marking craters until you have done all the imagery available however, as these results will still be very helpful to us and will be used to contribute!

I will pass on your concerns regarding some glitches to the Zooniverse team, in case it can help them with other projects. In terms of issues with the tools, thank you for the feedback! One of the things we are looking at with this project is how best to present these tools, so again this is very helpful to us. In terms of how small a crater you should mark - that is up to you! Mark what you think you can as accurately as you can!

Hope this helps

James

Posted