Planet Four Talk

Identical collections.

• p.titchin by p.titchin

As I hash tag images, I can't help noticing, especially with 'boulder'collections, that the same 6 names come up all the time with identical collections, all harvested at the same time. They are :- ben butterworth, zarathustra, dave, eagiles, jelstone,and farmboy . Is this an automatic harvesting passed to a science group? If so, it would save me a **** of a lot of time in trying to compile boulder images! Just very curious ~ Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi Pete,

Nothing is automatic by the science team. We're not actively getting sent Talk hashtag collections. Talk is for volunteers to explore the data and discuss it, so the software isn't doing anything automatic. I commented more here, Darren (@DZM) should be able to confirm that there is no automatic collection generation based on hashtag (I think there might have used to be in the older version of the Talk software).

Is there something specific you want from the Talk data. I can talk to the science team and see if we can provide it?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks for the prompt answer Meg, I was just intrigued by these ' image for image' identical collections. Been fascinated for 6 months or so, they always come up with the identical images in 6 collections eveytime I get an old 'boulder' image. Identical order as well. May be a paper will emerge. 😃 ~ Pete

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

EDIT: Okay, I may have been wrong. Talk lets users create something called a "tag group" that auto-populates a collection with all of the images that have been given a specific tag.

It's possible that those six people all set up a tag group to autopopulate with all of the images tagged "boulder."

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Of course!! What a good idea. Wish I'd known that two years ago. 😃 So glad you brought this up Pete.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Yes Kith, thats my point, it would save a lot of time. This " tag group" come up every time I find a new boulder image. Every time I comment on someone elses image that the "collections" side display comes up with 7 collections. Guess what!- 6 identical, and mine! Yet , over the last 2 years I cannot remember a contribution on 'the boards' from any of these collection owners.So- DZM- how do an interested group set this up? ---"Eagerly awaiting , and only slightly miffed 'Boulder Pete' ~~ Pete 😃

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Pete. My guess is that you just type in a hashtag for stuff you want to collect. If it's something that is likely to be used by lots of people, eg, #boulder or #blue then your collection (tag group) will grow quickly, whereas #LooksLikePizza probably won't. 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to DZM's comment.

How does one identify a tag group collection from a regular collection?

Cheers.

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

You can create a tag group collection using this link: http://talk.planetfour.org/#/collections/new/keywords/ ; you can also, notably, exclude certain tags (so if you want everything with "boulders" and without "frost," etc.)

I honestly just learned about it myself. It's not a well-advertised feature, unfortunately! Got to fix that with new Talk.

It doesn't appear that there is any way to tell a tag-group collection from a regular collection--or to manually include/exclude certain images--but I've put the question out to the guy who built this Talk. I'll let you know!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, here's how you can tell if it's a tag-group collection:

1. The fourth letter in the collection name will be an L (for "live" collection) rather than an S (for "static" collection).
    2. When viewing the collection, the description (appears below the thumbnails) will say something like includes "boulders", excludes "frost", etc. That tells you what the live collection is auto-curating.

There is currently no way to manually edit such collections, though. Definitely would like that feature for next time around!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

To close out this discussion. Darren wrote a blog post detailing how to make a tag-group collection. You can find the details here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to mschwamb's comment.

I think the "here" never got linked somehow?

Here it is: http://blog.zooniverse.org/2015/01/14/using-tag-groups-to-collect-images-on-talk/

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi, DZM, Meg and the rest of the team. As the thread starter I feel that I must post again. First.,DZM, the system of collecting works fine, now we know, but as you know, the collection you can garner is limited to 500 images, so for me, having been on site from near the start, if i collect 'boulders', I will get a full collection of my own collected images from "eons" ago. (Sems like eons to me! 😃 ). If we want to do this nowadays,seems I have to say 'Hi Guys and gals, if you find a boulder, can you hashtag it 'pizza' etc, or, #boulder, #pete' Hard going!! End of the day, 6 guys got my collection for a year without any payback on the boards in comment, theories, or hash tagging of their own! Seems to me you six,{whoever you are} you could put something back in ???. Just wish I had ben able to do this 2 years ago. At least the first 500nimages for study would have been quick! That all aside, it continues to be an absolute privilege to be able to work with you all on the team, and I am determined this year to get over to the UK for one of the conferences to meet those that live or can get to the East side of the Pond! In Hope ( be afraid you moderators! ~ Pete. 😃

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely a limitation. Talk is custom built software so it has some limitations from the fact it was built by a few developers unlike other software packages and programs we use all the time on our computers, tablets ,and smartphones. It's impressive for what it does but can be improved (and this version is an improvement of the original version of Talk still on some older Zooniverse projects). Thanks for your feedback, Darren (DZM) is consulting with the developers to build the next version of Talk. We might not transition to that version, but your feedback will help design what new Talk should have in terms of features.

One thing to note is that all of the information on Talk is in a database, so I can get a list with all of the cutouts that have a #boulder hashtag so the tags can be very useful. That would be easier for you to ask get if the search feature was better. I've been using some hashtags as double checks for things in the first paper. If you really want a full list of everything marked with boulders up to now, let me know and I can talk to the science team and see if we they would be willing to provide that to you.

Cheers,

~Meg

PS. ZooCon 2015 is Saturday July 11, 2015

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks for that Meg. At present while we are looking at Inca City, I'm struggling with the number of boulder images I can get off 'recents', but I may take up the offer in the future.° ~ Pete.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It's good to know from Meg that even if the hashtags aren't 100% perfect for user science, they're still being super helpful for the science team. 😃

Posted