Planet Four Talk

What is the purpose

• ronsim by ronsim

Please explain to me how will my collections or everybody's collections be useful to this project . Differently put i dont understand my role in this. Please explain

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to ronsim's comment.

Hi, ronsim....allow me to take a stab at answering your question....

Our 'job' here, is to identify and mark fans and blotches with the marking tools provided. Our individual efforts are aggregated and averaged with that of all the other civilian-scientists doing the same work. We also have a tool to mark any other 'interesting features' we come across that can't be classified as a fan or blotch. The tutorial explains each of those features and what the scientists think is causing them to form

In that way the science team can tally a 'score' for the images, and gauge the likelihood of which images contain the features they are interested in studying, and they can then target these areas for subsequent imaging by the MRO HiRise camera to see how these features change( or don't) over time.

Feel free to hang around the discussion boards. Much can be learned and debated in these rooms. There are some good people here taht can help answer any questions you may have, and the REAL scientists come around when they've got the time, to lend their expertise to the answers

It's a total 'team' effort. There will be no individual celebrity or stardom awating....unless of course you happen to glimpse the Mars Polar Lander wreckage or some picnicing Martians! 😉 Welcome to the Borg!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to ronsim's comment.

Collections are images grouped together that you think are interesting or you want to group together. They way just be images you think or strange or pretty or just like. In the future we may ask for volunteers to gather a set of images or mark them with hashtags or make collections. For example, you could make a collection of blue fans.

As AUricle said, we're using your classifications made in the main interface for most of the science, but interesting things have been found via Talk in other Zooniverse projects and no one has looked at these HIRES images in such detail before so with so many eyeballs on the data I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Talk found something interesting.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted