Planet Four Talk

problem with markers?

• joncarruthers by joncarruthers

I'm having trouble marking features near the edge of the images today (11/3/15). It was fine yesterday.

win xp, Firefox.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to joncarruthers's comment.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. It might this rare recurring bug we'd have trouble eradicating. If you're seeing your mouse movements multiply than it's the same bug I'm talking about. Unfortunately it happens randomly and stays for awhile for certain people's browsers that we haven't been able to track it down and fix it. If it's different from what described, some more details of what you're experiencing would be helpful. In the meantime you might try Chrome. It tends to behave a bit better with the site.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to joncarruthers's comment.

I've had the same problem for several months. It fixed itself once, then came back again and now seems to be a permanant fixture. It seems to be confined to Firefox and it's a complete mystery to the tech team. Works ok with Internet Explorer though. 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

I'll pass this all to the development team. The strange bit is it's not restricted to single browser. The science team repeated once (but then never again) on Safari making it even more difficult to pin down.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• jcsheppard by jcsheppard

Hi - same problem pops up every couple of days for me too - I've tried on Chrome, Firefox, IE and even Safari - sometimes it works fine of one, but not the others. Sometimes it has the same problem over all 4 browsers. Other days 3 out of four don't work - each time it's a different browser that is ok (yesterday IE was fine, day before it was Chrome). Very strange.
    Today, it is not working in Chrome, Firefox or IE - but it is fine in Safari!
    Always seems to be the same section of the images - right hand side and bottom - about a 2cm strip across the bottom and slightly thinner section up the right.
    Markers leave multiple trails and you can't adjust them if their expander points are inside the "problem area". I have still been placing the markers (adjusting their direction and shape first, then carefully dragging them into place - hoping that it is in the correct location!!)

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to jcsheppard's comment.

Hi jcsheppard,

Thanks for the detailed report. I've passed this information on to the development team. This is the best description yet of the issue. It's been difficult to track down because it is not consistent all the time. Hopefully this will help the development team figure out what's going on. Thanks for all these clicks despite the inconveniences. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

The Craters project is too hard to mark on my system.

Some comments:

The red dot for Craters Present is too hard to see against the black background.
    There is no highlighting of the tool I pick, crater vs elongated. It looks the same when I click on it as afterwards.
    The whole section on the left of the screen needs to be a bigger font and better contrast, if possible not on a black background.

The crater center doesn't go where the tip of my mouse pointer is, but rather shows up a little lower. With small craters the X dot and the size marking dot(s) completely obscure what's happening and I have to go by guess. When I click elsewhere on the screen so I can see what mark I've left, sometimes it's OK, sometimes it isn't on the crater at all.

I have a Macbook with OSX 10.9.5 and am using chrome.

I'm going to have to quit marking craters for now. It's just too hard. I'll check back later to see if things have improved.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Shiphrah's comment.

Hi,

Thanks for feedback on the Cratering project. If anyone else has feedback the best place to put is here so that the science team for the cratering project will see it.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Prothon by Prothon

i have trouble with the ¨Snap¨ of both the fan and ellipsoid tools .i you could increase the snap factor it would be great . thanx guys Prothon

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Prothon's comment.

Hi Prothon,

I don't know what you mean by snap. How fast the tool adjusts when you use the resizing handles?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Prothon by Prothon

Hi mschwamb ,thanx for your followup,

First of all, you are right when asking how FAST the tool adjust; theres a bit of lag at the very moment you select the handles,so i miss them or slip to the side creating another starting point for a fan.But theres is also a small deviation
    on the position of the red dot on the top point of the arrow,in my case its a bit lower-left then exactly at the point of the arrow(pointer)..so it is easy to see that i misstargeting when i put the center of a crater , or when i select the resizing handles+plus a bit of lag.So its a bit delicate to work well ,i always have to think to put my arrow top point a bit higher
    then the center really is.The term snap factor is used to discribe how easy or difficult it is to select something with your pointer.Its a programming term.By increasing the diameter of the snap surrounding an object its gets easier to select it.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Prothon's comment.

Hi Prothon,

Can you give me operating system and browser info? I'll need that for the development team. I can let them know of the suggestion, but I'm not sure we'll be modifying that any time soon since we're in maintenance mode and the Zooniverse team is focusing on new project builds, but I can pass the suggestion forward.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted