Planet Four Talk

'Save' button?

• EA2014 by EA2014

... I saw this request from someone else several weeks back but I can't find it again. During the past 24 hours, I've had the chance to work on 2 GREAT detailed images ... and easily spent at least an hour on each one - only to get the DREADED "Aww-Snap"! message from Chrome!!! Of course when I tried the "Reload" button, the screen was replaced with a 'new' image. Not only did I lose the work but I never got to see the image Filename and I was really hoping to Collect those or Save them.

I know some 'additions' seem really simple to the User but can be a nightmare for the Programmer ... however, if anyone has some time or thoughts on this - it would probably be welcomed by more than one User! 😃 Many Thanks!!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

I'm sorry that happened. It's unfortunately a memory leak in the drawing library that eventually can cause the browser to crash. We haven't found a good work around and since there is not a high frequency of images that high numbers of fans and blotches we've left it since to fix it would require rewriting the entire drawing library, which we don't have the developer resources for.The Zooniverse developers are building new projects now and can spend the time helping to maintain the site we have. When we get funding and time to build a version 2.0, this is something that we will likely address then. It's a small number of images impacted. Do the best you can on those images before the browser crashes.

The reason that we haven't had a save button is that we want you first reaction for the image so if you stop and start we don't have a good way to compare that to someone who classified the image in one go.You can think of it as the experiment being different, so it's easiest if we have as similar conditions for classifying as possible.

Please do keep the suggestions coming. When and if we build a version 2.0, we'll definitely try and keep these suggestions in mind.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks so much, Meg!

No problem - I understand. Now that I know what it is - it will be a good challenge! 😃 (.... VERY surprised it didn't just happen to me again with the image I just finished - - - I got lucky - or maybe felt it coming! ha!)

Mars is fascinating & I appreciate the opportunity to work with the images and the people.

~Elizabeth

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Hi Elizabeth, probably won't work but whilst classifying, have you tried duplicating the page first (or during) as a safeguard? So if one hangs the other might not (then dupe that one and so on). Right click on the 'Zooniverse Talk' page top left and scroll down to duplicate it.

For images you find interesting there is always the 'Prt Scn' button (which will copy it to the clipboard). Best I can do.

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014 in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Thanks JM for your suggestions -

If I R-click on the "Planet-4 Talk" page (on the initial classifying screen) it only copies the html link to the Planet-4 Home Page.
    I will use the 'Prt Scn' when I see another interesting image (... just wish it had the APF---name somewhere on the screen, too!).
    But just knowing about the issue helps a lot - maybe I won't "get caught" again!

Thanks! ~Elizabeth

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to EA2014's comment.

I wanted to chime in for the reason we don't list the APF id is so that people can't google or go to talk and look at the comments. You might act differently if you knew that people thought there were blotches in there versus not knowing anything. I hope the crash is only happening on a few images if it's more than that let please let me know.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014 in response to mschwamb's comment.

I have to admit, Meg - that makes a lot of sense! ..... it's only been 2 images and I'm much more aware now - so it will be fine (who knows - maybe I'll even encounter those areas again).

Thanks for your concern!
    ~Elizabeth

Posted