Planet Four Talk

I think you web site is broken...?

• Peek by Peek

I was just on your web site http://planetfour.org/ and it looks rather broken.
    There are no proper menus or text, only place holders, like "home.tagline" in the center of the home page, and "navigation.classify" and "navigation.about.root" in the main menu, and "classify.tools.fan.name" in the classify menu.

I have a feeling something is broken...

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Peek's comment.

I was just about to ask a similar question. I am having trouble getting on the site. When I try, I am getting the 'tutorial page and image. When I try to sign in, it says name/password not valid. If I go on the zooniverse sight it shows me as logged in, but returns me to the tutorial image when I choose P4 site. This however will not allow me further and asks me to sign in, when I do I am not recognised. Weird! Its been happening for two days, and I have to get in by logging on to another zooniverse site, classify a page, then switch to P4, and click continue, mark the tutorial image, and ask for ' discuss', then I can click on return to classifying and -hey presto -I'm in!. Has something been changed?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I've not noticed any of these problems over the last couple of days. I'm on Windows 7, using Firefox.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

I'm on windows XP and Firefox. I'll see what happens after I sign off tonight, and try to sign back on tomorrow. It first happened Sunday, and has happened every time since.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I'm using firefox and haven't seen an issue. I'll see if I can replicate it and put in a support tick in the mean time.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Think I've worked it out. I think my system has started to use a shortcut that returns me to a page where I was signed in. If I go straight to the zooniverse 'talk' page, it asks me to sign in, and then all is well. Don't really understand why problem has developed, but don't mind now I can avoid the loop.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Support ticket is in. Please post next week and remind if it is still an issue then.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

I've not had any probs, but I tend to go straight to talk.planetfour.org. Quick look at planetfour.org shows it working OK, but I note there's a new status/login/out thingy top right with yer avatar in it. Not sure how long that's been there but if new could've been the page was accessed mid-fiddle

Posted

The development team can replicate the issue. I'd try clearing your browser's cookies and make sure your browser is up to date as well. So for the moment, hard to fix. I hope it resolves itself. If it gets worse let me know and I'll put in another support ticket.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• angi60 by angi60

Hi. I've had problems tonight. When I first got on the site, when I clicked on Discuss nothing happened. I then tried to sign in but I was repeatedly told 'sign in failed', despite me making sure that I was putting in the right details each time! I then clicked on Blog to see if anything would work. The Blog page appeared as normal, then I was able to get into the Discussions page. I then tried signing in again, and that time I was successful! I use Windows Vista and my browser is Google Chrome. Hopefully I won't get the same problem again, but thought I should point it out.
    Regards, Angi

Posted

Can everybody who is having issues please give their browser (including version number) and operating system

I also pinged support again.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to angi60's comment.

Hi Angi, that is exactly what has been happening with me since the beginning of the week. I don't know if it is germane to the problem, but at the same time as this started, a 'pop up' started appearing at the top left of the page when I try to log in, marked as planet 4.org, and asking if I want the password to be remembered. May be a coincidence, but may be relevant. ~~Pete

Posted

Angie60 emailed me to say that after she posted her message (above) she tried to return to 'Classify' but was signed out by the system and was unable to reconnect to anything.

Posted

If you are having trouble, can you try clearing your browser's cookies and seeing if that helps. The Zooniverse development team knows about the issues. If I hear anything from them I will let you know. Sorry for any annoyance or inconvenience. I hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg. Everything seems to be working as normal for me tonight (I'm glad to say - I was bereft without my P4 visit!!). I hope the others find their problems are resolved too. Thanks for your help, Angi.

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to p.titchin's comment.

Pete: Yes I thought your problem was similar, so that's why I thought I should report it too. All seems OK tonight, so I hope your problem has gone too.

Kitharode: Thanks for passing my message on. I wondered if I'd been banned from P4 due to too many silly comments!! :-X

Posted

It looks this is not isolated to P4.. So, it may have been tracked down and fixed now. If you get the same behavior today, please report it here.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

P4 still ok with me, but the HiRise catalogue is now showing me a "Problems Loading Pages" message.

An article in the Guardian newspaper reports that thousands of homes lost broadband last week due to thieves cutting through fibre optic cables in the search for copper wire and such. It also reported that many BT broadband users were affected. This would explain my loss of email last week.

Don't know if any of that relates to the problems here, but it may help explain some other problems that you may have been experiencing. Cheers.

Posted

HiRise catalogue back to normal today (Sunday).

Posted

• Peek by Peek

I still have the same problem, which makes it hard to do any actual classifying.
    Labels in menus and some other places are not loaded correctly. Instead they just show a placeholder text.
    It looks like this on the home page:

Home page

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Peek's comment.

This seems like a loading issue - how fast is your internet?

So you're still getting the login errors?

~Meg

Posted

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while this issue gets tracked down. I've sent in a support ticket to the Zooniverse development team with the updated information. I'm sure the Zooniverse development team are looking into the issue and will have this sorted soon. If anyone else is experiencing similar problems, please include the browser and version number you're using and your computer's operating system in your post

~Meg

Posted

• stuart.lynn by stuart.lynn admin

Hey all

I am helping to track down this bug and just wanted to ask a few questions that might help:

1. Are the problems intermittent or persistent
    2. Do you have third party cookies turned off ? (usually you can find this under settings in your browser)
    3. What device and browser do you see the issues on?

Knowing the answer to these will really help us recreate and hopefully solve the issues.

Cheers

Stuart

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to stuart.lynn's comment.

Hi Stewart. First,can I say how good the site is, and the support we get is second to none. Secondly. I am a total comp. Luddite. I use a windows XP programme with Mozilla Firefox. I have a feeling there were recent changes on the P4 site, and the problems are carried on by Firefox, because whatever you do, it uses previously formed shortcuts, and puts you back into the glitches. The sign up problem was a real pain, but is now OK, as long as I go into the zooniverse chat pages, I do note however, that (not always) I sign off, but when I come back on, I find I am already signed on. Thanks again for a superb site.~Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Pete, have you tried clearing your browser's cookies? Angie are you still having problems with Chrome?

Is anyone else still having issues with logging in?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Posted

• Peek by Peek in response to mschwamb's comment.

Sorry for not responding earlier, I have been away...
    To clarify a little: I have a fast Internet connection (50-100 Mb) and I have now tried the planetfour site on four (4) different computers, and both with Firefox and IE, and I get the same problem every time. I also, just now, tested it on my iPad (3rd gen) and got the same problem.
    When I first started going to the site, I did not have this problem, and then suddenly it appeared on all my computers. So I'm pretty sure it's something on the server end.

Posted

I've notified support. Hopefully they can help. I presume you've tried clearing your browser's cookies? The Zooniverse api uses that for login.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Question for everyone - did you ever see a message saying "Error fetching subjects. Maybe we're out!'?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg, just taken me an hour to get on the site, every thing I tried turned up 'error fetching subjects. Maybe we're out.' Never seen it before this morning though. Now I'm in, although I can get on the discussion boards, I can't get on classifying. I try that, I get a blank black image with the left side tool bar, and the mystery message. I'm on Windows XP with Mozilla Firefox. ~Pete

Posted

Thanks for letting me know you see the same thing that I'm getting. We've got lots of data in so not the issue. Somethings wrong, we'll get the development team on it Thanks for letting me know it's not isolated. I've already notified support, but thought it was isolated to my account with bad hotel wireless so I'm letting them know it's a bigger issue. Apologies for the inconvenience, we'll get this sorted as soon as we can.

Cheers,

Posted

Update: There's a fix in place. So we should be all good to go. I see images on the website in the classification interface. If you see this message pop up again or have any difficulties getting on, please post here and I'll contact the Zooniverse development team and put in another support ticket.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• Peek by Peek

I feel almost bad for saying this, but I still have the problem I mentioned first. Which is I get no proper texts, just place-holder texts.
    Today I tried on a Windows 7 64bit PC, with both Firefox (26.0) and Internet Explorer 11. I get the same result, and it is regardless of wether I'm logged in or not. Get the same problem in both cases.
    I have tried clearing out my browser history several times (cookies, cache, logged in sessions), but no difference.

Here is a picture where I am using IE and I have navigated a couple of levels down in the menu structure. As you can see, except for "Stargazing Live", it's all place-holder texts, even the text content on invidual pages (in this case "about.examples")

Planetfour in IE

Posted

I'm sorry it is still an issue. Thanks for letting me know. The development team are aware. I am notifying them of your updates. Thanks for your patience. The developers are busy with a big BBC event in the UK so this will get looked out probably next week or later, but hopefully it will be sorted soon. Thanks for bearing with us and being patient. Do post again if it doesn't get sorted in another week or two.

~Meg

Posted

• angi60 by angi60

Hi Meg. I've just returned to the site after a couple of weeks break, to find I couldn't classify. I got the same message and screen as ptitchin 'Error fetching subjects. Maybe we're out.' I'm on Windows Vista with Google Chrome as Browser. I note your comment about a delay due to Stargazing Live, but I just thought it best to report it anyway.
    Thanks, Angi

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to angi60's comment.

Thanks for reporting this. We're having some intermittent server issues that are causing this problem. The Zooniverse team is working on fixing this. They are working on getting the site back up and finding a permanent solution. If anyone sees the site go down with similar issues please let me know here and I'll continue to report it so we can get the site back up ASAP. Thanks for bearing with us and sorry for the inconvenience.

~Meg

Posted

A quick note - the site is back up right now. Please post if you notice it goes back down. Thanks for your understanding and patience while the development team tracks this issue down.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Oh dear! It is 20.53 GMT, and the site is doing all sorts!. 1 Difficulty signing in, 2, discussion boards changing to older ones, and when I try to return to classifying, I first had the 'blank black image', then it returned me to the 'tutorial' image, and then asked me to sign in again! When I tried to do that, it said 'sign in failed'. Must be 1st Birthday tantrums! ~ Pete.

Posted

There's a server glitch that happens intermittently that the Zooniverse it tracking down and there is an an impact right now from the masses from BBC stargazing live heading to Space warps is causing the issues right now.

The development team is is working on it (Big thank you to Stuart and the rest of the development team for all of their effort and help today) and are helping to support the servers (lots of people are on the zooniverse servers if you can remember from last year's stargazing).

Thanks for bearing with us.

~Meg

Posted

Hiya,

A quick update. You might have notified difficulty logging in past 8pm in the UK last night. We're aware of the issue. It's because the Zooniverse servers are getting slammed with the response from BBC stargazing program to space warps and struggling to keep up while new servers are being created to handle the load. The Zooniverse development team are working on the issue. I'm sure you can remember the response to P4 last year. The Zooniverse team are on the case.

If you can't log on to P4 tonight , try again later or you can classify not-logged in. Log in is working fine as of right now. Thanks for bearing with us.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Cheers Meg - yes I couldn't log in last night. Everything seems to be working as normal at the moment, I'm pleased to say.
    I appreciate it's a difficult time, so many thanks to everyone 😃 I'm sure the Zooniverse Team must feel like hamsters trapped on wheels at the moment!!

Posted

Hiya,

My understanding is that the server issue has been fixed. So there shouldn't be any more login and connectivity issues. If anyone still sees them or experiences anything else out of sorts, please let us know. Thanks for your patience while the development team tracked down the issue.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Peek by Peek

Just wanted to let you know that, after having been away from this site for about a month, I came back today, and now it works!
    Well, it works in so far as the labels in menus are there now, so I can navigate and actually classify. But the texts on pages like, for instance, "About" just reads: "about.index".
    But it's going in the right direction... 😃

Posted

We have server issues earlier in the beginning of January (which have been fixed), but no one else is reporting the issues that you are seeing. You still the same thing in all browsers and they are up to date?
    ~MEG

Posted

All good with Windows 7 / Firefox in the hills of todmorden 😉 Cheers.

Posted

• Peek by Peek

Today I tried this again, on my work laptop. The classifying pages works just fine, except for the About pages. Everything under that menu just has placeholder texts.
    Like the page "Classification Examples", which just reads: "about.examples"

I tried installning Chrome on my work laptop, just now, to see if that made a difference. If a different browser, or a browser that has never been to that page (in case of some cookie/history problems), would work better.
    But I had the exact same problem, even in a newly installed web browser.

So, I don't think it's a problem with my browser.

Then I went to a collegue, and asked him to try. And everything on the About pages worked just fine!

I then checked the console, in both FF and Chrome, and there is a Javascript error, but I don't know if it's related.
    I got screeshots of the console, in both browsers.

Chrome:
    Link to image

Chrome console

Firefox:
    Link to image

Firefox console

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness admin

Just pushed a change which fixes the 403s, though they shouldn't cause the behavior you are noticing.

If you could do me a favor, could you open the console and enter "zooniverse.LanguageManager.current.code", then "zooniverse.LanguageManager.current.translations" on separate lines, then copy what you see here? From what it looks like, the site is trying to select a language file that doesn't exist.

Posted

• Peek by Peek

Sorry for answering so late, I got distracted and completely forgot about this.
    The website seems to be working just fine for me now. Maybe it's not relevant anymore, but I did what you asked for, and I'll post it here.

Chrome console

Posted

Thanks. I've linked your screenshots into the support ticket so the developers can see. Thanks. The issue is intermittent which is making it hard to fix it, but any console screen grabs, etc are helpful for hopefully tracking it down.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted