Planet Four Talk

unresponsive classify tool

• Yoza by Yoza

Has this been happening to anyone else? The last couple of times I've attempted to classify something with the tool it only let me place a small x on the object. It did not matter which tool I used - fan, blotch or interesting object - all I would get was the x.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Yoza. I've moved your question here into Interface Help so it'll get seen more easily by the team, if needed.

There have been problems with the marking tools. Not the same as you describe, but might be related. See the 'Marking Tools?' discussion on this board for description of those problems and possible solution. (Shift + reload).

If that doesn't help then leave a message here so Meg will pick up on it and get the techno bods onto it. Cheers.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Yoza's comment.

Can you tell me what browser and version you're using? Also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and see if that helps the problem. Let me know if there are still problems after that.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Yoza by Yoza in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg,
    I'm using Google Chrome, but the classify tool is working again.

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Yoza's comment.

Hi Andrew,

We were having issues with Chrome that was recently patched (new update of chrome broke something in the interface drawing tools most people were seeing oversized handles), So since it's patched , I don't think you'll have any more problems but if you do, let me know.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Kia ora Meg,
    I used the classify tool once and it worked ok, when I tried again the same problem started again. I cleared my cache, but still having the same problem.
    I'll try clearing my cache again and loggibg out and logging in

Cheers, Andrew.

Posted

• Yoza by Yoza in response to Yoza's comment.

Kia ora,
    I tried clearing my cache again; logged out; logged in; was able to use the classify tool on one image then after pressing 'finish' then 'discuss' to place image in a collection; clicked 'return to classify' ; tried classify tool and the same problem started again.

I'm going to try a different browser.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Posted

Using Internet Explorer now and it is working well. From now on I think I will use IE when I want to come to this site.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Well done Yoza, hope it stays working for you. Firefox works great for me, but others have problems with it. Good luck.

Posted

• Yoza by Yoza in response to Kitharode's comment.

Yeah, I tried Firefox, but had problems with that, too. IE is working well, so I think I'll just stick with that when visiting Zooniverse.

Thanks for the help.

Posted

• Yoza by Yoza

IE worked o.k. for a while, but after about 10 minutes whenever I attempted to click 'continue with classify' it would return me to the Planet4 home page (the picture of Mars with the satellite orbiting it) and then wouldn't let me into the classify page. I thought I would try Chrome in incognito mode - it worked a couple of times then back to the same problem. 😦

Posted

• Yoza by Yoza

Downloaded the Opera browser which worked well for a little while, but then had exactly the same problem I had with Google Chrome.

Posted

• Yoza by Yoza

I have downloaded, and are currently using the Safari browser. It is working o.k., but when I click 'return to classify' ,after saving an image in a collection, I am returned to the homepage (the satellite orbiting Mars). However, unlike Internet Explorer, when I click on the 'classify' link on that page I am returned to the image classifying page (Internet Explorer would just freeze on the homepage or return me to the image classifying page where I would get a blank page.)

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

thanks for the details - I know we have a memory leak issue that either after classifying lots of fans/bltoches or a long time on the site will crash the browser. Most times it's not a problem. This sounds different. I'll try to replicate the issue you are having saving to collections and going back to the interface and also send in a support request and see if we can a patch for this issue. Keep reporting odd behavior and we'll track down the issues. The site's still relatively new (especially Talk) so there are bound to be some small glitches found from time to time.

Please if you can post some screen shots of the drawing tools issues if you can post them here - please send them to mschwamb@asiaa.sinica.edu.tw if you can't post them and I'll pass them on to the development team. Also if you give the version number for the browsers that would be a big help

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Just to throw another spanner in the works. I switched computers - all the other comments were from my laptop (this was the only machine from which I was accessing this site). I thought I might try our p.c. (since the kids are out and I can get to it) and Google Chrome works perfectly on this site from this machine.

Whenever I use my laptop at home I use LAN rather than Wireless - both machines run Windows 7.

I am fairly certain I was using the Chrome browser on this site from my laptop a week ago without any problems.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Posted

I've replicated the behavior in Safari for the 'return to classify' button - there's a support ticket in to fix that.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Try updating chrome if it's not update - chrome, safari, and firefox all should work - i've definitely tried all of them - if you continue to have problems do post and we'll try and sort.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted