Planet Four Talk

Please, please, please............

• wassock by wassock moderator

The discussion boards are all nicely arranged so that the most recently posted on discussion is at the top, but when one leaps into the discussion the most recent post is at the back, in some cases 20 or 30 pages away. This arrangement is fine if coming to the discussion anew and needing to thumb through the whole thing to catch up but it's a real pain if you're just trying to keep up with the discussion. ESPECIALLY SO as having found and read the last post you've not seen the back arrow returns to the first page of the threads NOT to the page of most recent posts you started from. PLEASE SORT THIS OUT.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to wassock's comment.

I'll second that amendment, wassock!

Forum navigation here is a real 'pita'

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Thanks for the feedback

Clicking on the title of the thread brings you to the first page but the The blue "last post" on the right is actually a link that will take you to the most recent post in the thread. So I think that should address that issue you've raised.

The back arrow key issue is something I've noted to the development team, so hopefully when they release an update to Talk that will be included, but I don't have a timeline for that.

One of the things to note is that this is not off the shelf forum software, it's custom built by the Zooniverse because the object-orientated discussions and allowing discussions to posted on individual image pages but show up in the discussion boards is not something that exists in something ready made. This is a new version of Talk and because we think there are so many features that make it easier for the science team and other volunteers to spot discussions about interesting images and features we launched with this version.

That being said, the zooniverse projects that used version 1.0 of Talk many of the volunteer suggestions and critiques were incorporated into this version. So if you have more complaints, concerns, or ideas for upgrades let's post them here and some of them may get incorporated into upgrades and patches to this version of Talk.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I should note there appears to now be a link at the top. For example here if you click on the subboard title. It's a link that takes you back to the subboard. So they've now added that navigation capability. More to come. This is a brand new version of Talk. so we're working the kinks out with your feedback.
    ~Meg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Meg the problem is that using the 'back arrow' also takes you back to the subboard rather than the last place you were in the thread. Try going to page one of one of the longer threads, from there to the last page and then hit the back arrow.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

Yep. I put in a support ticket for that. So hopefully next upgrade will be you click on the link and it takes you to the page you were on.
    ~Meg

Posted