Planet Four Talk

Correcting mistakes

• michael.kerton by michael.kerton

Hi, I cannot find a way of correcting mistakes. I used a fan instead of blotch but cant remove it and want to start over.

Posted

• delete_def2cad5 by delete_def2cad5

I'd like to know about this as well. I made a mistake on one last night, similar to Michael's and would have liked to start over as well, but couldn't find a way of removing/correcting it. I've been very careful ever since and want to do this right but if there is a way to correct mistakes would be handy to know. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to michael.kerton's comment.

The center X in the black circle on the fan or blotch drawing tool is what you can use to delete a fan. You know your mouse is in the right spot to delete the marking if the black turns to red.

I've asked if we can add a restart button to clear the screen of the markings to start over. So hopefully that will be being added soon.

We combine the results from multiple people. So more than one person sees the image you are classifying. So if you happen to make a mistake, you can't go back after you submit the classification but if there was something you accidentally didn't mark and wanted to, chances are the other people who marked the feature.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• delete_def2cad5 by delete_def2cad5

Thanks for the info Meg 😃 I'm only really learning about fans, blotches and other features of the landscape of Mars since I started this project but am understanding it and finding it really interesting. I think I'm doing it right but will ask about anything I'm not sure about or if I want to know more about what I'm looking at. Good to know so many others are involved in classifying as well so hopefully everything of importance/significance will be marked. Getting used to how the tools work now and what I'm looking for, so hopefully no more mistakes but a restart button would be handy right enough, thanks for adding that too. Hoping all this info will really help your scientists

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Shona Anne's comment.

We have a blog posts and an about page with some detail. Try reading these:

http://blog.planetfour.org/2013/01/09/more-on-planet-four/
    http://blog.planetfour.org/2013/01/09/interesting-features-to-mark/
    http://planetfour.org/#/about

We'll definitely be posting more on the blog as the project continues. Thanks for all the help. We appreciate it
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• delete_def2cad5 by delete_def2cad5 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Oh that's great, thanks again Meg and to the others for the link and blogs 😃 Really informative, interesting and helpful. Have caught up to date with the blog posts now and will certainly be back to read more as they come in. It really helps me to get some idea of particular things the scientists would like marked as interesting features as well choosing things ourselves and finding out so much more about the project, features, Mars itself and everything involved, makes it even more interesting, lol. You're very welcome for my help, my pleasure. It's fantastic so many are so actively involved and I, for one, feel excited and privileged to be part of such a special experience as this. Really feel part of it all now and enjoying it x

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Shona Anne's comment.

Great. Thanks for being a part of the project.
    ~Meg

Posted

• delete_def2cad5 by delete_def2cad5 in response to mschwamb's comment.

My pleasure 😃 Would like to get involved in more of your projects in future

Posted

• jane_bannister by jane_bannister

I had the same problem - on clicking the red cross my whole Mars 'clip' disappeared. I change my browser from 'Google chrome' to 'mozilla firefox' and the problem disappeared. I can now cancel mistakes by clicking the red cross.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to jane bannister's comment.

Thanks for letting us know. I've reported this issue to the Zooniverse development team.
    ~Meg

Posted

• michael.kerton by michael.kerton

Re correcting mistakes: sorry I have taken so long coming back, I found by accident that backspacing removes highlighted entry. Thank you all for your help

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Should mention. We've got this sorted, it was a bug we inadvertently introduced into if you're using Chrome. If you're using Chrome, clear your cookies and cache and the patch should load fixing this issue. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patience while we sorted out the issue.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• jshoe by jshoe

Meg, It is great to hear from the science team, and an honor to help out on your project. Having spent most of my life "doing" and teaching science, I am delighted to get involved again after retirement. When I was taking and measuring images (light and electron micrographs) in industrial research, I would spend time with my "clients" to see what they, themselves, would have marked and measured on their samples - keeping in mind that I would always have a scientific eye open for interesting things and overall impressions. This used both my and their time most efficiently. I can see that you want to leave the doors open for others to point to new things, but that does not help me determine whether a dust trail emerging from an apparent crack, and smudged all over, is as interesting to you as the dust from a well defined "hole".
    It would be useful to me to have an easy way to point out "smoking crack" ( this sounds a bit risque). if that would be useful to you.
    What do you, as a project scientist, actually review after we submit our measurements?
    I noted from one of your blog comments that you would like us to refer to the specific image in our comments. But I cannot find the image reference number anywhere when I actually doing the measurements. Some of this may come as I become more fluent, but it is a frustration at this time.
    Can you tell me how to determine the image number at the time of classification.
    Would you like us to be "liberal" or "conservative" when determining which features to measure as fans? So far most of mine are fans, some very short.
    Separately, I have asked if you could provide a scale for each image. Things that might be very interesting on a scale of several kilometers may not be as interesting to you on a scale of just a few meters. The only "scale" I have found so far was Fig 1 in your project introduction. which was said to be about I km full across. This gives me an entirely different feeling for our features than if they were hundreds of km across. Same holds for the images I am classifying.

When I keep in mind that some of these features are only a few meters wide, it takes my breath away. When I also realize that this surface erosion has been going on for a few million years, and much or most of the surface is covered with a thick layer of dust (how thick is the dust layer anyway?) and the channels may be only a few tens of meters across, I get a "hole" new feeling for the fine dust plumes laying on a surface of solid carbon dioxide less than ten feet thick. This is a delicate process in some ways. That you have come up with a way of using the dust trails to measure the surface winds is really neat. I cannot turn my science-oriented brain off when I look at your images, nor do I expect you to want me to.

Thanks for this opportunity, and for listening. I will try to review what has been said in your blog comments. I have several other points regarding specific images and will keep them as short as possible. I wish you every success. jshoe

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to jshoe's comment.

We get your classification, so the positions and probably corners of the fans and center width, height, center, and angle of the blotch.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted