Planet Four Talk

Anybody having trouble?

• Ellenmarie6463 by Ellenmarie6463

i am marking out a picture with a fan or blotch, i mark maybe 2 or 3 then it wont let me continue. i click finish and then it dont bring another picture up. Am i doing something wrong???

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Are you using an ipad?

Posted

• Ellenmarie6463 by Ellenmarie6463 in response to mschwamb's comment.

no i think its my laptop. ive logged out and logged back in and it seems to be better. i must say this is amazing im really enjoying myself i feel like im helping gather information. im probably not however as this is the first time ive ever done anything like this but always been interested. thank you

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Ellenmarie6463's comment.

Thanks for giving more detail. It may be an internet explorer issue from other people reporting. If you're not using Internet explorer please let us know what browser.. Thanks for your patience while we sort out the the growing pains with the launch.
    ~Meg

Posted

• RobZTobor by RobZTobor

I realise the site has been hit with a load of new people but I find I am limited to the number of images and items I can mark on them so after about two or three images, I will click on the image to mark something and it goes black and I all I can see is the cross to delete the marked feature. If I click on that the image returns but I am unable to do anything else even clicking finish and getting a new image will not help as again it will go black as soon as I try to mark any feature on the image. It means I am not completing marking features on images and it therefore looks like I am not doing as good a job as I would like to, I have time to do this but so far it is a little frustrating. I am using a PC with XP and using Chrome

Although I am starting to find my way round the site now it has taken a couple of days, I do feel for newcomers instructions as slightly on the grey side.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to RobZTobor's comment.

Apologies for the trouble. We've notified our development team. We're working to track down these issues. We do leave the instructions vague partly to avoid over training since the fans and blotches have so variation. So it's a delicate balance. We have added some more examples here and an faq
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• paul_r_murphybtopenworld.com by paul_r_murphybtopenworld.com

I am new to this and need advice on the Windows IE interface.

If I am CLASSIFYING then how do I make a Post into the Discussion Board and hashtag the current picture I am working on so that it is associated with the post?

Posted

• legobot4000 by legobot4000

I'm using Chrome, the same thing happens! The image randomly disappears!

Posted

• oooklout by oooklout

I am using a MacBook and it doesn't work at all when manipulating the fan tool. Drag and drop seems to have stopped altogether but worked when I started the tutorial. It only accepts one click per fan, no adjustment is possible.
    Incidentally some ribbon-like patterns on the second image I attempted don't really look like fans - no directional feature apart from along the ribbon pattern itself - so these don't really seem to be blobs either. Maybe they are a set of vents lying along the line of a crack, and because the direction of the fans happens to lie along the crack, each fan happens to spray across its neighbour downstream, thus forming a ribbon along the line of the crack?

Posted

• j.g.doggett by j.g.doggett

Firefox on old XP laptop - on the whole working OK but on the unresponsive side - but sometimes I find I can nolonger adjust fans. If I try to click on one of the adjustment/rotation points I just create a new fan.Although I can still drag or delete a fan. I think this behaviour remains once it has started until I move on to a new image. Possible the PC is even less responsive that when changing the fan works - i.e. problem may be timing related?

Posted

• shmorhay by shmorhay

The drawing tools have insufficient resolution. It would be less of a problem if we could zoom in and out. I agree with the posts noting that tool manipulation is unresponsive. I am running latest Firefox on latest Ubuntu. Like trying to draw with an axe-head -- too frustrating to bother with.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to paul_r_murphy@btopenworld.com's comment.

Once you've classified and click Finish to submit your classification. You can either click on next or hit discuss. Click on discuss that will load the Talk page for the image you were classifying.
    ~Meg

Posted

• Spacedoctor by Spacedoctor

I am using Windows Chrome and I can't adjust the width of the fan. When I try to drag the diamonds, it just creates new triangular shapes.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to j.g.doggett's comment.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the responsiveness of the site. Thanks for the feedback. Our development is getting some much deserved rest this weekend, but we'll make sure to forward these issues to them and on Monday they will investigate further. Please bare with us during these growing pains.
    ~Meg

Posted

• GaryT by GaryT

I'm using my iPad. Everything works fine until you get a picture with either lots of blotches or lots of fans. Then it can't cope with so many tags and logs me out.

Posted

• hac by hac

I'm having problems with keeping an image on screen. I'm using a PC with XP and google chrome as a browser. The image loads, I start marking the features but after I've done a couple the whole picture goes black apart from a red cross where I have started marking a feature. If I click away onto the discuss link and then come back I can get a new picture up. Sounds like a similar problem to the one that RobZTober is having. Any help appreciated.

Posted

• ianw3913 by ianw3913

I posted a similar problem under bug reports. I have tried using another laptop and don't have the same problem i.e i don't get blank images and don't lose images. I suspect there may be a local memory issue.

Posted

• Milkywaystars by Milkywaystars

How do u write scientist next to ur name????????????????????????????

Posted

• Milkywaystars by Milkywaystars

I'm in an ipad

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Milkywaystars's comment.

You have to be on the science team 😃. I'm Meg Schwamb one one the scientists working on the project.

~Meg

Posted

• gsusan38 by gsusan38

I am working on my laptop as soon as a new image appears it goes before I can examine it, the most frustrating thing is all the images that disappear seem to be really exciting ones that Ive not seen on here, what is going on please.

Posted

• MikeSym by MikeSym

I was looking at an image cocovered by parallel striations, for which there's no symbol, so switched to COMMENT, and culdn't either comment or get back to the image.. What's the procedure?

Posted

• yuckapoo by yuckapoo

If I click on "classify" to get a new image, and all that is displayed is a black screen (with the controls on the left), does that mean no images are available? Thanks!

Posted

• ianw3913 by ianw3913

Try using Safari. I get blank screens with Chrome, but do not get the same problem with Safari. Saw this in another post.

Posted

• descendeur10 by descendeur10

Hi all

Still finding it impossible to look at any new images to classify how do you get to them??

(Using XP Professional and Chrome)

Help!!

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

On XP with Chrome, getting the blackscreen problem reported at the beginning - trying to mark a fan results in a black screen only way out is the 'goback' which gives a new image. This doesn't happen everytime but has got more frequent in the last few goes

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I apologize for the issue. It may be a memory leak so closing your browser app and restarting it may clear the memory. We're working on the issue, and I'm sure the development team is tracking it down today (all of the team needed some much deserved sleep after the long hours for Stargazing live). Please bear with us during these growing pains.

~Meg

Posted

• starlight1258 by starlight1258

Hi, when I log in and start marking objects and then go to discuss, when I go back it logs me out every time ?.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to starlight1258's comment.

Try allowing third party cookies from api.zooniverse.org
    ~Meg

Posted

• magtys by magtys in response to legobot4000's comment.

I'm having the same thing happen - I spend some time marking out features and the image dissapears - a black screen appears and I can't get a new image.....

Posted

• starlight1258 by starlight1258 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Looks like that's worked, thank you...

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to magtys's comment.

It looks like we have a bug if you're using Chrome. Try using firefox for the time being. Apologies for the growing pains, and please bear with us as we sort through these issues. I'm sure our development team will have them fixed soon.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• arfon by arfon in response to mschwamb's comment.

This should be fixed now.

Posted

• brian_holden by brian_holden

Hi I have read the help tried the tutorial and still dont get how to orientate the tool I am in safari on a mac does this effect my ability or am I missing some vital point I'm going over the same start tutorial again and again and still it seems random as to whether the,say fan tools semi circle will move round or stay stuck at the bottom which happens a frustrating no. of times am I missing some part of the tutorial ?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to brian holden's comment.

I'm not sure what you're exactly asking. I draw a fan by finding the start point of the fan clicking and holding down and moving in the direction the fan is I stop when I hit the proper length. Then I use the circles to adjust the size and width. You know you're on the circles to adjust the fan, if your mouse becomes a cross. If you need to move the fan, click somewhere on the inside of the fan and hold and slide the fan into the new position.I hope this helps,

~Meg

Posted

• louie2k by louie2k

I'm using Chrome. The issue is that when I mark a fan the diamonds do not respond to let me shape the figure. Instead when I click on a diamond to extend the shape it creates a new fan.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to louie2k's comment.

Hi,

I tried on Chrome on mac and I can adjust the handles, but I had to get the crosshairs that form once drawing the shape right on the diamond handle. If it still isn't working for you, please let me know your browser version and operating system.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted