Planet Four Talk

serious memory leak

• chrisbayes by chrisbayes

ie9 win764

after classifying for 10 minutes or so explorer has used up all available memory and the system grinds to a halt
    need to delete ie process and start again

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I've noted the issue with the development team
    ~Meg

Posted

• arfon by arfon

This may be something to do with the animation of MRO on the front page of the site. We'll investigate.

Posted

It happens when i have been classifying. The more objects i draw the more the memory goes up. At a wild guess I would say that when the finish button is clicked the object objects are not deleted or released. (sometimes when the next button is clicked the objects are still visible on the new image (reported elsewhere) so they are still hanging around in memory) But as i said it is a wild guess. If you are unlucky enough to get a few #blotchfield s in a row it is really bad and the tab needs to be closed to get the memory back.

Posted

p.s. just clicking the finish button, next button repeatedly does not cause it

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to chrisbayes's comment.

Does the issue have if you used a different browser like firefox or chrome?
    ~Meg

Posted

• MGHogue by MGHogue

Using Firefox and I've noticed "seizures" and errors when I am classifying an image with many small 'features' - a classic example of too much data.

A work around that I would simply love for images which are "stippled" or have many (<25) 'dots' (vents) would be the ability to simply mark a blotch or block as stippled (many small vents) instead of having to mark many individual vents. This would reduce the number of object handlers from many to one in the program interface.

If you can't do that, you may want to define a minimum size of "blotch" or fan. I had read in another chat that you would like ALL dark blotches and fans noted. In some images there are well over a hundred - more than I think the system is able to handle, and due to the memory issues, impossible to mark (plus very time consuming per image)

Thanks.

Posted

agreed MGH

ok so i tried it in chrome and something similar happens. after doing 2 very rare #blotchfield s chrome became unresponsive and i had to wait an age to be able to finish the second. moving onto another image didn't free the memory. only closing the tab would free the memory and it is a very sharp drop on the task manager graph

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to chrisbayes's comment.

Thanks for the feedback and giving the detail info. I'll forward to the development team and see what we can do to solve this issue.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal

I'm using firefox and finding the same problem of it crashing, if having to id too many on same image, or if consecutive images have large numbers.

I've been classifying animals in the Serengeti, and you get options of how many, after the options of picking 1, 2, 3, etc.. upto 10, you get the options of 11-50 or 51+ and also a box to tick that says 'young present'. so working along this idea, maybe an option of a box to tick if there are 30+ or maybe 50+ of the fan or blotches on the image.

Basically would work as follows, you as now click on the appriate tool, lets say blotch, instead of trying to mark all, lets say 63 little blotches and getting the error/crash problem after you've marked only 59, you mark maybe 5-10 most interesting/biggest/prominate blotches, then place a tick in a box that says 'more than 50'. then cause you've clicked on this option, while classifying the blotches, it will tag this image as having 'more than 50' blotches, so that later, someone/people can bring up the lists of all those images tagged as having 'more than 50' at a later date and count up exact numbers. Likewise if the fan tool is clicked and their are more than 50 fan types, clicking on the 'more than 50' while you have the Fan tool highlighted will tag this image as having 'more than 50' fans and again these images tagged as having 'more than 50' can be linked together at a later date and checked for exact numbers.
    Also if the 'more than 50' option can be activated in both Fan or Blotch options, it means that if you got an image of lets say: 58 tiny and small fans and 77 small sized blotches, the system could later bring up this image in both lists, so those viewing only the images with 'more than 50' blotches, will get it, as will those looking at the 'more than 50' Fans, but if the image is tagged as having only 'more than 50' fans, only those checking the images with 'more than 50' fans, will get them.

Cause I'm not sure what is happening to the ones, many of us are having problems with and if all those that view them, can't classify without it crashing, could they end up not being classified at all?.

Just a thought......if this problem occuring now can't be solved.

Posted