Planet Four Talk

What is the appropriate use of "Interesting Feature"?

• johanngoetz by johanngoetz

Hi everyone! I have a question concerning the use of the "Interesting Feature" Star. I am looking at an image with several "spiders" and near the center of each, there are one or more irregularly shaped dark features which I presume (either correctly or incorrectly) to be canyons or crevasses of a sort. These are not so regularly shaped for the "Blotch" object, and they are clearly not "Fans." Any advice would be very helpful.

For now, I am going under the assumption that more markings are better, though, could be wrong since it increases the time spent on each image?

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin

Hi

'More markings are better' - absolutely. This should be treated as a flag for something you think is worth looking at which is neither a fan no a blotch. I'd also encourage you to click through to Talk and make a quick comment under the image, as this is another good way of bringing stuff to the attention of the science team and the wider community.

Cheers

Chris

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,
    Markings are better for us right now. Blotches can definitely not be symmetrical so if it doesn't look like a fan and is dark I'd mark it with a blotch. We'll add try to make that clearer in the tutorial.

I think the interesting feature tool is for anything you think is strange or odd in the image you think the science team should know about. Maybe it's something that you saw in an image that you haven't seen in any others. It's definitely subjective and don't worry if you don't use it on many images. Marking fans and blotches gives the science team lots of information.

In the future if you can add a link to the image discussion page the science team will try and take a look and comment further on what we think is in the image.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

One example I think of something that might warrant the interesting feature tool is APF0000wy8 where there is Bright bluish features in the fan. That is gas recondensed on top of the ice as fine-grained bright frost. If see something like that, that would be great to highlight.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• MGHogue by MGHogue

Just a suggestion: I'm finding lots of "dust" (black/dark) markings, usually associated with the "spiders", but the "Blotch" and "Fan" tool are not very good for defining the shape, nor, given the frequency, do I consider them "interesting" (although all of it is most interesting to me, LOL!). Would it be possible to create a "Paint Brush" for the user interface which would allow control of the 'size' of the brush - and then we (the users) could just "brush" over those areas (such as some "lines" I found) - and which would more accurately represent the shape of the feature being addressed?

Posted

• supergiant by supergiant

reading some of these posts it seems i am looking at an images with lots of blotches and some fans all dark im currently looking at sinusoidal type mark stretching across the images pooling in a large blotch then stretching out again in a thin but i am finding it difficult to mark it with the tools accurately

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to MGHogue's comment.

Do you best with the fan and blotch tool.If it looks more linear than not, use the fan tool. Blotches won't necessarily be symmetrical as you said. Just use your best judgement. We combine the results of many volunteers so chances are if you think it should be marked as a fan. every else marking it will as well.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• Mutantoe by Mutantoe in response to mschwamb's comment.

I completely agree!

Posted

• 01005 by 01005

Well, I think if it isn't a fan or a blotch, and if it is interesting, like a spider or a small hill, then I guess it's an interesting feature!

Posted

• Lise212 by Lise212

Is it possible to change the size of the interesting feature star I cant seem to

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Lise212's comment.

No. So just get it centered as best you can. Once we know you've marked it has an interesting, we'll eventually take a look. So as long as it's close to center we'll know what you were marking as interesting.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• Judith_Williamson by Judith_Williamson

I've gone mad with 'interesting feature' tool over circular objects, some of which I can't tell whether they're craters or hillocks...

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Lise212's comment.

No there isn't. Just try to center it as best you can on the feature.The science team will look at the image and the position of the star will help us identify what you thought was interesting in the image.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted